Meeting Notes from 4.26.2008

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
      Greetings All from the Proto-Incipient Baronial Seneschal for
      Ayreton, Master Philip White.

      Forgive me for the length of my post – but I want to include as much
      as I can for those who could not be with us at the election Saturday.

      After our election results were announced, we held our first meeting
      for the proto-incipient Barony. Thank you to everyone who was able to
      stay. We had representation from all of our petitioning groups. For
      those of you who could not make the meeting I am posting what we
      covered here.

      We started by thanking everyone for coming as well as our friends
      from Ravenslake for acting as our poll administrators.

      We also talked to about how we need to start acting like a Barony in
      order to become a Barony.

      Our petition will only be approved if it is clear that we function as
      a Barony and also obvious that we behave as a unified group. Our
      identity needs to be recognized by not only ourselves but also by our
      friends and neighbors across the Kingdom. Please keep this in mind as
      we go forward.

      I reminded people of our timeline for the petition to become a
      Barony. Realistically we have at least a year if not two before we
      would be recognized as a full status group, if we are fully on top of
      our game and prove we are able to support a Barony. Our offic This
      means we have some time before we even have a polling to start
      choosing out Baron and Baroness.. We all should put our best foot
      forward and make sure we follow through with our responsibilities.

      Please stay excited and continue your willingness to volunteer
      because we need the energy.

      As the proto-incipient Baronial Seneschal, I talked about my goals
      for the office and what I will need to do to help with the
      transition. I have already opened up communications with the Kingdom
      Seneschal Transitions officer, the Regional Seneschal, and our local
      group seneschals so that I can keep us moving forward in the petition
      process.

      I have asked our new proto-incipient officers to complete a few
      tasks. They will be in contact with their regional officers and start
      reporting to them regarding our group efforts. This is essential to
      show that we can take care of the administrative requirements of
      running a Barony. If you are a local officer, you should expect to
      hear from our new proto-incipient officers. They will start working
      with you as well as ask you to carbon copy them your reports. Expect
      to see updates reflecting our new officers online shortly.

      Two specific tasks of our transition were discussed. Our new proto-
      incipient Herald will be working to register our name and is also
      continuing to conflict-check our device options. We have our choices
      narrowed down to two options on which we are doing further research.
      We will publish more on this later. Our new proto-incipient
      Chronicler will be publishing the dates and times of our meetings so
      look out for that. The next meeting date/location is still to be
      determined.

      Our local seneschals are also working to finish a couple of tasks.
      They will be asking for the local officers to carbon copy reports to
      the proto-incipient officers and for our local chroniclers to publish
      the dates and times of our meetings for the transition process. They
      will be checking to make sure our officers are also warranted, up to
      date on memberships, and reporting regularly. They will be reviewing
      the branch website to make sure they remain accurate. The seneschals
      will be reviewing the zip codes and working to settle any
      discrepancies of land.

      I also brought up the requirement of a charter, or group `standard
      operating procedures'. This will be created as a living document that
      will be beneficial to us now but also to the group decades from now.
      We will avoid restating what is already in our corporate governing
      documents as well as Kingdom law and both Kingdom policy and
      procedure. I also asked that we complete this document under the
      premise that our members and our officers are honorable and that they
      will do their best for the group. Our goal is a functional yet simple
      document that will answer our needs.

      You will hear more in the following weeks about how we will create
      our governing document. In the meantime, please think about what you
      would like to see in our charter and talk about it at your local
      meeting and with your seneschal. Obviously not everything can be
      included, but we do need to have as much input as possible so that we
      create something that reflects all of our interests.

      Please also think about your expectations for our Baron and Baroness.
      Part of our final petition to become a full status group requires
      that these expectations for our ceremonial leaders be included.

      We closed our meeting with ideas of how we can reflect our group
      identity and unity. We have some fantastic and awe-inspiring ideas
      already. I will post more on these later.

      As an update and to clarify on our status right now:

      We are called a proto-incipient group. We have chosen officers, a
      name, and are working on a device. And we have collected signatures
      so that we can formally request the Crown to become an incipient
      group. After that, we can work towards the official petition to
      become a full status Barony which is the packet you have heard so
      much about already in the process. If this final petition is
      approved, we can begin the process to choose a Baron and Baroness and
      then would become a full status Barony.

      Remember, a lot of our situation is unique and there may not be
      specific rules for our advancement. There may not always be an easy
      or consistent answer. I will work alongside out group seneschals to
      clarify any questions with our Kingdom contact.

      If you have any questions please contact me, and I will be happy to
      answer as best I can. I am excited for this process to continue and
      see our groups advanced together toward a Baronial status.

      Your Servant to Command,
      ~p.w.
    • John Adams
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
        First, congratulations on your selection as PIB
        Seneschal.

        A quick question. Henry provided you with his petition
        records at the beginning of your meeting. When can we
        expect the results of that survey (yeas versus
        registered citizens)?

        I'm asking since we were directed by the KTO (Kingdom
        Transition Officer) to move forward with officer
        selection while the survey/petition was still being
        circulated. So it would seem that the formalization of
        offices isn't really a litmus test for those results.

        Regards,

        -- G

        --- Craig <philipwhite@...> wrote:
        > Our petition will only be approved if it is clear
        > that we function as a Barony and also obvious that
        > we behave as a unified group. Our identity needs to
        > be recognized by not only ourselves but also by our
        > friends and neighbors across the Kingdom. Please
        > keep this in mind as we go forward.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Scribesquire@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
          I believe that any results from that petition would be up to the KTO to announce upon thier review.  That may be something as simple as telling Master Philip to continue with the process or not.

          Henry of Exeter
          Seneschal, Rokkehealden

          From: John Adams <auldefarte@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
            Greetings All,

            Grimkirk, thanks for your inquiry into the status of the Baronial
            petition. Here's where we stand today:

            I am sending a letter signed by the five local seneschals and myself
            to the Kingdom Deputy Seneschal Transitions Officer, the Kingdom
            Seneschal, and the Crown. Along with that will be a set of signatures
            gathered by the five local seneschals. The documents represent our
            request to be recognized as an Incipient Barony.

            I can only ask that we give them time to review these documents. It
            is their prerogative to decide if our request meets their criteria.

            As for a time line? I would be conservative and suggest we give them
            at least a calendar quarter before we expect an answer. The Crown or
            their councilors may wish to schedule discussion which can take time.
            And our Kingdom administrators have many other significant activities
            that may take priority over their time, including Pennsic
            preparations. It could take even longer than a quarter.

            As I have said, our situation is unique and there are not firm
            guidelines that we can follow. I will do my best to keep this process
            as simple as possible and to seek clarification so that we are not
            lost in the process. But as we wait, let us keep doing what we are
            doing.

            Your Servant to Command,
            ~Philip White

          • spdesroches@att.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22, 2008
              Cerian

              Please contact me either off-list or on my cell (312) 519-5350

              Etienne