Baronial name candidates explained

  • Ayreton Towne Cryer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2008
      Sorry for the delay in posting this.  Below is the list of name candidates, with the non-obvious ones explained.  I received documentation for all of these.  Please note that "Great Hale" has been withdrawn.

      The Barony of….
      Ayreton
      Dragonsfont
      Bear Lake
      The Inland Sea
      LvctoneSettlement by the pool or inlet
      Leacwic“Leac” means “garlic” in Old English and “wic” means “town"
      FenbyOld Norse/Danish for "City by the swamp"
      DiolkosHellenic Greek for the portage across Corinth
      Dragon's Lake
      Shell
      Winster'the left-hand river'
      CheppingsalAnglo Saxon -“Buying Hall,” for the fact that the area is based on trade, banking, and finance
      Comhrac(Gaelic), a meeting of rivers, roads, men in battle, &c