Re: What's wrong with the name Ayreton?

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
      I've heard two complaints:

      One, that it is based off of a pun.

      Two, that a "Barony of Ayreton" would be comprised of the six groups,
      as Ayreton is six groups. What we are proposing to the Crown is a
      Barony of five groups.

      At least that is what I have gathered from posts and talking to
      people.

      ~philip

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" <sirkilian@...> wrote:

      > Forgive me if i enter the fray late...
      >
      > Since it is commonly used and most recognizable, are there some
      that
      > are against using the name "Barony of Ayreton" If there are,
      please
      > let me know valid reasons why. I believe this is the most
      identifible
      > and easily used name available.
      >
      > -Sir Kilian

    • Teleri
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
        The name Ayreton is fine by me, but not for the Barony. I have used "Ayreton" for the past few years to designate an informal group, with no standing in the SCA hierarchy of precedence, that includes six local groups that consider themselves to be part of the modern area of greater-metro Chicago, which needs a certain degree of unity because of geographical proximity and social affinity. I think we are all well served by continuing with that use and purpose of the name Ayreton.

        Since five of these local groups have now determined to form a shell Barony within that area, if the Barony is allowed to go forward in that formal process, that new formal unit needs a new name that will help identify and solidify those groups in their history, purpose and "personality".

        That is my opinion on why the new Barony needs a name that is not "Ayreton".

        Teleri

        > Since it is commonly used and most recognizable, are there some that
        > are against using the name "Barony of Ayreton" If there are, please
        > let me know valid reasons why. I believe this is the most identifible
        > and easily used name available.
        >
        > -Sir Kilian

      • Jen Small
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
          Just as an additional piece of information (and people of Ravenslake, correct me if I am wrong), it is my understanding that Ravenslake does not mind the use of the name Ayreton for the shell barony of 5 groups -- they don't mind giving up that identity as a town of 6 groups.  Of course, all citizens have their own opinions and are free to vote.  I just thought it was worth mentioning that Ravenslake is OK giving up claims to the name.

          By the way, if the Barony moves forward, we will have a conversation with Ravenslake as to how best to continue to include them in area announcements and discussions.  We've touched on this at several town meetings, and there's no need to commit to anything at the moment, but that discussion will definitely happen.  I am imagining that Ravenslake folk who are interested in staying in touch with all discussion on the baronial list will join the AYreton list, and the Town Cryer announcements will go to the current list PLUS Ravenslake (just as those announcements go to Greyhope, and a bunch of individuals and other lists now).

          Yours in service,

          --Gianetta, Towne Cryer
        • Metylda
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
            --- Jen Small <jenrsmall@...> wrote:

            > Just as an additional piece of information (and
            > people of Ravenslake, correct me if I am wrong), it
            > is my understanding that Ravenslake does not mind
            > the use of the name Ayreton for the shell barony of
            > 5 groups -- they don't mind giving up that identity
            > as a town of 6 groups.

            Haven't heard anyone from up here objecting, but then,
            I'm just one person.

            > By the way, if the Barony moves forward, we will
            > have a conversation with Ravenslake as to how best
            > to continue to include them in area announcements
            > and discussions.

            When you guys go Baronial, would you stop using a town
            crier and an open forum? Or would you be having a
            baronial only list?

            > Yours in service,
            >
            > --Gianetta, Towne Cryer

            Metylda

            There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

            *****

            Me þæt wyrd gewæf

          • AlexdeSet@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
              Greetings!
                   If I recall correctly, use of the name Ayreton was discussed at a meeting, and there seemed to be no problem with a Barony of Ayreton. That is my memory.
                   I consider us (Ravenslake) a member of the Greater Ayreton Co-Prosperity Sphere, and can concieve of that status even if/when there is a Barony of Ayreton, besides a sphere. (no, I am not the "sphere of Ayreton". I am just heavy.)
              Ta,
              Alexander de Seton

              > Just as an additional piece of information (and
              > people of Ravenslake, correct me if I am wrong), it
              > is my understanding that Ravenslake does not mind
              > the use of the name Ayreton for the shell barony of
              > 5 groups -- they don't mind giving up that identity
              > as a town of 6 groups.

              Haven't heard anyone from up here objecting, but then,
              I'm just one person.

              > By the way, if the Barony moves forward, we will
              > have a conversation with Ravenslake as to how best
              > to continue to include them in area announcements
              > and discussions.

              When you guys go Baronial, would you stop using a town
              crier and an open forum? Or would you be having a
              baronial only list?

              > Yours in service,
              >
              > --Gianetta, Towne Cryer

              Metylda

              There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

              *****

              Me þæt wyrd gewæf

              http://tc.deals. yahoo.com/ tc/blockbuster/ text5.com
            • Ryan Pierce
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                Alexander, I like that reasoning.

                It makes modern sense, too. All the suburbs of Chicago still get called Chicago even though they are a good distance from the city limits and are not under Daley's (official) rule.

                So Ravenslake would then be a suburb of Ayreton?

                *ducks*

                Now all we need is a hired carriage scandal and the dead voting in the Baronial election.... We can always fund the Barony by ticketing and towing horses to an impound paddock. And I suppose the Baronial Curia will ban the sale of foie gras at all feasts over the objection of the Baron. And did I mention taxing bottled mead?

                In service and humor,
                Ryan

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
              • Teleri
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                  Hmmm, so the entire area is "Greater Ayreton" and the shell Barony is "Lesser Ayreton", "Little Ayreton" or maybe "New Ayreton"?  Not outrageously fond of that direction, but I suppose it could work, and I don't think the Heralds would find a problem with any of that. That would mean we don't need to have yet another name contest to figure out what to call the larger Co-Prosperity Sphere.

                  I still prefer a name that expresses something about the nature of the several local SCA groups forming a new entity, rather than re-using the Ayreton name or using something that means Mundane Chicago.  If we don't feel that we really know what the identity of the new groups is, maybe we should leave this on the table a little longer.  We are going to have to live with the choice we make being shouted on the battlefield, proclaimed in court and recorded in song and poem for a VERY long time.  The baronial process takes a very long time, so there is no reason to rush one of the most important decisions in it.

                  Teleri

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                    Some might say Ayreton was an outskirt of the Rising and Benevolent Shire of Ravenslake...

                    You know, we know people to help that carriage/cartage scandal along. The "dead vote"? Surely the Office for Special Events could put that together-the vote is weeks from now. Heck, there could be a snow removal problem this weekend, and knock someone out of the running...
                    Ta,
                    Alexander "just some guy" de Seton

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 10, 2008
                      Greetings all.....

                      Just a thought that all this talk about the origins of the term
                      'Windy City' brought to mind.

                      Why does the wind usually blow towards the downtown area of Chicago?

                      It doesn't. The politicians there just suck that much.

                      <grins evilly>

                      Be well....

                      John Malkin aMalkin

                      --
                      John Railing aka Malkin
                      1041 Nerge Rd., Apt. 104 * Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * 812-320-1447