More Possible Names

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2008
      Howdy All –

      I wanted to try and offer some more ideas for names of our possible
      Barony.

      I have heard a number of people say that Ayreton means six groups to
      them, not five. And I can see where that would come from. Since it is
      a new way to combine the groups, why not a new name too?

      So – here are a few I could come up with:

      The Barony of Great Hale: "(Place at) the nook", from hale, dative
      sing. of OE halh "a nook, a corner". There are two villages, Great
      Hale (Magna Hale 1204) and Little Hale (Lit(t)le Hale from 1180).
      Since we are at the corner of the lake.

      The Barony of Lvctone (Lutton): "Settlement by the pool or inlet",
      from OE luh "a pool, a lough, an inlet" and tûn "settlement, farm,
      village". (1066)

      These come from http://www.s-
      gabriel.org/names/gunnvor/LincolnshirePlacenames/ if you want to look
      too …

      Or perhaps these:

      The Barony of the Portsmouth

      Which I grabbed off of: http://www.s-
      gabriel.org/names/badger/placenames.html.

      If there are any herald people could see if we could even consider
      these that would be great.

      Your Servant to Command,
      ~Philip White