Re: [Ayreton] Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

  • KCMalone3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
      ravagio@... writes:

      "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

      I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

      Thanks!  Anna

      **************
    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
        I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

        Ian

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

        > No, they Cant!!
        >
        > Teleri

        No Cost.

      • JC Ravage
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
          There's an accent over the a.  I'd pronounce it Lay-ack-wick, but I don't speak Old English.  I'm sure there's someone on this list who does, however.

          JC

          On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM, <KCMalone3@...> wrote:

          ravagio@... writes:

          "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

          I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

          Thanks!  Anna

          **************

          "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII
        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
            It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
            by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
            so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
            Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
            The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

            Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

            Ian

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

            > ravagio@... writes:
            >
            > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
            >
            > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
            >
            > Thanks! Anna
            >

            > **************
            > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
            > Travel Guides.
            >
            > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

          • Tedesco da Venezia
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
              I also do not like the more blatant pun-based names, but these two are pretty nice.

              ~Tedesco da Venezia~

              On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:53 PM, JC Ravage <ravagio@...> wrote:
              I found a couple other interesting ones.

              "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
              "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

              If we want another Chicago reference.

              Will Atherbridge

              --
              "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII

            • Teleri
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                Teleri

              • boomboom93@juno.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                  the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                  dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                  Livy an Bheithir

                  ___________
                • rdpierce@pobox.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                    boomboom93@... said:

                    >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                    >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                    >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                    And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                    We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                    would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                    I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                    Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                    for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                    of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                    In service,
                    Ryan