Re: [Ayreton] Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

  • JC Ravage
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
      I found a couple other interesting ones.

      "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
      "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

      If we want another Chicago reference.

      Will Atherbridge

      On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:53 AM, kevin purtrell <krpurtell@...> wrote:

      I believe its just:
      Ayreton
      Dragonsfont
      Bear Lake

      Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on a stupid pun.
      I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can always be translated into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.

      Kevin Ambrozijwski

      Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:
      Do we have something similar up for the Name Submissions?  Is that coming soon?

      Teleri

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
        ravagio@... writes:

        "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

        I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

        Thanks!  Anna

        **************
      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
          I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

          Ian

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

          > No, they Cant!!
          >
          > Teleri

          No Cost.

        • JC Ravage

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
              It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
              by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
              so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
              Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
              The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

              Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

              Ian

              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

              > ravagio@... writes:
              >
              > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
              >
              > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
              >
              > Thanks! Anna
              >

              > **************
              > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
              > Travel Guides.
              >
              > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

            • Tedesco da Venezia
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                I also do not like the more blatant pun-based names, but these two are pretty nice.

                ~Tedesco da Venezia~

                --
                "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII

              • Teleri
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                  I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                  Teleri

                • boomboom93@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                    Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                    the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                    dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                    Livy an Bheithir

                    ___________
                  • rdpierce@pobox.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                      boomboom93@... said:

                      >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                      >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                      >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                      And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                      We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                      would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                      I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                      Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                      for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                      of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                      In service,
                      Ryan