Re: Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

  • nadezda_zezastrizl
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
      Um....ooops....the list from Carnival is sitting on my desk at home
      (currently I'm at work)--I've been meaning to find out what to do with
      it, but since there's a discussion already--I know it was 3 things on
      the list, and
      Ayreton, Dragonsfont, Bear Lake sounds right.

      Could certainly add Allium Wind to it....

      What can I say...been busy with the devices...and also a recent round
      of being reminded where the 'windy city' nickname came from....

      -Nadezda
    • JC Ravage
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
        I found a couple other interesting ones.

        "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
        "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

        If we want another Chicago reference.

        Will Atherbridge

        On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:53 AM, kevin purtrell <krpurtell@...> wrote:

        I believe its just:
        Ayreton
        Dragonsfont
        Bear Lake

        Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on a stupid pun.
        I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can always be translated into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.

        Kevin Ambrozijwski

        Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:
        Do we have something similar up for the Name Submissions?  Is that coming soon?

        Teleri

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
          ravagio@... writes:

          "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

          I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

          Thanks!  Anna

          **************
        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
            I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

            Ian

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

            > No, they Cant!!
            >
            > Teleri

            No Cost.

          • JC Ravage

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
                by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
                so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
                Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
                The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

                Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

                Ian

                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

                > ravagio@... writes:
                >
                > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
                >
                > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
                >
                > Thanks! Anna
                >

                > **************
                > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
                > Travel Guides.
                >
                > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

              • Tedesco da Venezia
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                  I also do not like the more blatant pun-based names, but these two are pretty nice.

                  ~Tedesco da Venezia~

                  --
                  "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII

                • Teleri
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                    I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                    Teleri

                  • boomboom93@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                      Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                      the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                      dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                      Livy an Bheithir

                      ___________
                    • rdpierce@pobox.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                        boomboom93@... said:

                        >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                        >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                        >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                        And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                        We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                        would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                        I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                        Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                        for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                        of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                        In service,
                        Ryan