Re: [Ayreton] Proto-Incipient Baronial NAME conversation

  • Christian Fournier
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
      I liked "Barony of the Inland Sea", but apparently that was taken by a Barony in Northshield. I'm not entirely sure why that would preclude us from using it though...

      If it's a name already registered with the College of Arms, then that precludes us from using it (unless we get permission from the previous registrant to use it).

      From what I'm able to find in the Armorial, there's no "Barony of Inland Sea" currently registered.  There is a "Black Company of the Inland Seas", and an "Inland Seas Herald" (the latter name is registered to the Kingdom of Ealdormere; the former name to an individual, Brand the Black, probably as the name of his household).

      So, it might or might not be possible to register "Barony of the Inland Sea"; any of the real herald-types here can answer to that better than I can.

       Christian
    • nadezda_zezastrizl
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
        Um....ooops....the list from Carnival is sitting on my desk at home
        (currently I'm at work)--I've been meaning to find out what to do with
        it, but since there's a discussion already--I know it was 3 things on
        the list, and
        Ayreton, Dragonsfont, Bear Lake sounds right.

        Could certainly add Allium Wind to it....

        What can I say...been busy with the devices...and also a recent round
        of being reminded where the 'windy city' nickname came from....

        -Nadezda
      • JC Ravage
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
          I found a couple other interesting ones.

          "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
          "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

          If we want another Chicago reference.

          Will Atherbridge

          On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:53 AM, kevin purtrell <krpurtell@...> wrote:

          I believe its just:
          Ayreton
          Dragonsfont
          Bear Lake

          Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on a stupid pun.
          I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can always be translated into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.

          Kevin Ambrozijwski

          Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:
          Do we have something similar up for the Name Submissions?  Is that coming soon?

          Teleri

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
            ravagio@... writes:

            "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

            I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

            Thanks!  Anna

            **************
          • David Roland
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
              I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

              Ian

              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

              > No, they Cant!!
              >
              > Teleri

              No Cost.

            • JC Ravage

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                  It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
                  by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
                  so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
                  Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
                  The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

                  Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

                  Ian

                  --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

                  > ravagio@... writes:
                  >
                  > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
                  >
                  > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
                  >
                  > Thanks! Anna
                  >

                  > **************
                  > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
                  > Travel Guides.
                  >
                  > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                • Tedesco da Venezia
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                    I also do not like the more blatant pun-based names, but these two are pretty nice.

                    ~Tedesco da Venezia~

                    --
                    "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII

                  • Teleri
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                      I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                      Teleri

                    • boomboom93@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                        Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                        the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                        dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                        Livy an Bheithir

                        ___________
                      • rdpierce@pobox.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                          boomboom93@... said:

                          >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                          >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                          >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                          And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                          We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                          would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                          I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                          Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                          for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                          of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                          In service,
                          Ryan