Re: [Ayreton] Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

  • kateslists@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
      > also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can

      Not for us Packers fans :)

      Bojei
    • KCMalone3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
        If we are looking for something historical, "chicago" means the land of the stinky onion.  Not that I want to be known for a stinky plant!  LOL

        Anna

        **************
      • Teleri
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
          No, they Cant!!

          Teleri

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
            Perhaps fans of the Packers (named for the meat packing industry) and natives of Chicago (slaughterhouse to the world) can come together peaceably in Lake of the Dead Cow or something...although I'd like to do some kind of riff on the 'Wild Onion' thing, I haven't had a chance to play with it...

            } ; )

            Moose

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
              Botanically speaking, allium is the genus name for the
              onion family. Barony of the Allium Wind would be
              amusing...

              Although, I believe the native members of the onion
              family are Allium canadense (found all over the
              state), Nodding Onion Allium cernuum (which only
              occurs in the Chicago land region now a days), and the
              cliff onion Allium stellatum (which only occurs in
              McHenry county and then the southern tip). There's
              also Allium tricoccum, the wild leek, which most
              attribute as being the where the name of Chicago came
              from, and it is found all over the upper half of the
              state.

              Allium is greek for garlic. However, it would be easy
              to play off the cernuum, derived from cernuus meaning
              nodding or drooping, in the native plant, just because
              now a days, that's the only one found JUST in the
              upper NE quad. Tricoccum is a reference to three
              spheres (possible reference to what a leaf looks like
              when cut, I think).

              Yes, I know too much about plants. I'm giving a
              presentation on Native plants over the weekend.

              Granted, I would think that the Barony would want to
              keep the name of Ayreton. Links to the past are part
              of what name up our game, and knowing the roots of a
              group can be a powerful identifier.

              Granted, it's not like I have a say in this. ;) Or
              perhaps I have said too much. ;)

              Metylda
              Ravenslake

              --- Dolores Becker <danceswithwords42@...>
              wrote:

              > Perhaps fans of the Packers (named for the meat
              > packing industry) and natives of Chicago
              > (slaughterhouse to the world) can come together
              > peaceably in Lake of the Dead Cow or
              > something...although I'd like to do some kind of
              > riff on the 'Wild Onion' thing, I haven't had a
              > chance to play with it...
              >
              > } ; )
              >
              > Moose

              > The almost right life is nothing at all. The right
              > life is dangerous, open-ended, more questions than
              > answers, a map to undiscovered countries.
              > -- 'Chasing Shakespeares' by Sarah Smith

              0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              > -->
              >
              > <!--
              >
              > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
              > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
              > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              > #ygrp-text{
              > font-family:Georgia;
              > }
              > #ygrp-text p{
              > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              > font-family:Arial;
              > clear:both;}
              > #ygrp-vitnav{

              > #ygrp-vitnav a{
              > padding:0 1px;}
              > #ygrp-actbar{
              > clear:both;margin:25px
              > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
              > #ygrp-actbar .left{
              > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-grft{
              > #ygrp-ft{
              > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
              > solid #666;
              > padding:5px 0;
              > }
              > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              > padding-bottom:10px;}
              >
              > #ygrp-reco {
              > margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
              > #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
              > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
              >
              > #reco-grpname{
              > font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
              > #reco-category{
              > font-size:77%;}
              > #reco-desc{
              > font-size:77%;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital{

              background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px
              > 0 8px 8px;}
              > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

              > #ygrp-vital ul{
              > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li{
              > list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid
              > #e0ecee;
              > }
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a{
              > text-decoration:none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > padding:6px
              > 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              > background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0
              > 8px;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration:none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              > margin:0;}
              > o{font-size:0;}
              > .MsoNormal{
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{
              > font-size:120%;}
              > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq{margin:4;}
              > -->
              >

              > -----Inline Message Follows-----
              >

              > I believe its just:
              > Ayreton
              > Dragonsfont
              > Bear Lake
              >
              > Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have
              > the group name based on a stupid pun.
              > I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not
              > certain it follows Medieval place naming practices.
              > Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I
              > also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something
              > we all have in common. It can always be translated
              > into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland.
              > YMMV.
              >
              > Kevin Ambrozijwski
              >
              > Teleri <alta_gioiosa@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              > Do we have something similar up for the
              > Name Submissions? Is that coming soon?
              >
              > Teleri

              === message truncated ===

              There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

              *****

              Me þæt wyrd gewæf

            • Christian Fournier
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                I liked "Barony of the Inland Sea", but apparently that was taken by a Barony in Northshield. I'm not entirely sure why that would preclude us from using it though...

                If it's a name already registered with the College of Arms, then that precludes us from using it (unless we get permission from the previous registrant to use it).

                From what I'm able to find in the Armorial, there's no "Barony of Inland Sea" currently registered.  There is a "Black Company of the Inland Seas", and an "Inland Seas Herald" (the latter name is registered to the Kingdom of Ealdormere; the former name to an individual, Brand the Black, probably as the name of his household).

                So, it might or might not be possible to register "Barony of the Inland Sea"; any of the real herald-types here can answer to that better than I can.

                 Christian
              • nadezda_zezastrizl
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Um....ooops....the list from Carnival is sitting on my desk at home
                  (currently I'm at work)--I've been meaning to find out what to do with
                  it, but since there's a discussion already--I know it was 3 things on
                  the list, and
                  Ayreton, Dragonsfont, Bear Lake sounds right.

                  Could certainly add Allium Wind to it....

                  What can I say...been busy with the devices...and also a recent round
                  of being reminded where the 'windy city' nickname came from....

                  -Nadezda
                • JC Ravage
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                    I found a couple other interesting ones.

                    "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
                    "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

                    If we want another Chicago reference.

                    Will Atherbridge

                    -------------------
                    Voting on the PIB device will occur alongside the officer elections.  So, you can send in your electronic vote by proxy, or vote in person on April 26 for your favorite device.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask the Towne Cryer or your local seneschal.

                    "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII
                  • KCMalone3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                      ravagio@... writes:

                      "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

                      I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

                      Thanks!  Anna

                      **************
                    • David Roland
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                        I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

                        Ian

                        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

                        > No, they Cant!!
                        >
                        > Teleri

                        No Cost.

                      • JC Ravage

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                            It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
                            by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
                            so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
                            Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
                            The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

                            Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

                            Ian

                            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

                            > ravagio@... writes:
                            >
                            > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
                            >
                            > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
                            >
                            > Thanks! Anna
                            >

                            > **************
                            > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
                            > Travel Guides.
                            >
                            > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                          • Tedesco da Venezia

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                                I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                                Teleri

                              • boomboom93@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                                  Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                                  the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                                  dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                                  Livy an Bheithir

                                  ___________
                                • rdpierce@pobox.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                                    boomboom93@... said:

                                    >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                                    >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                                    >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                                    And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                                    We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                                    would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                                    I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                                    Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                                    for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                                    of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                                    In service,
                                    Ryan