Re: [Ayreton] Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

  • Cerian Cantwr
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
      You don't like puns Kevy. I thought they could take away your herald's
      license for that :-)

      Cerian

      kevin purtrell wrote:
      > I believe its just:
      > Ayreton
      > Dragonsfont
      > Bear Lake
      >
      > Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on
      > a stupid pun.
      > I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows
      > Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I
      > can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all
      > have in common. It can always be translated into another language if
      > "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.
    • Wolfram von Waldersbach
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
        Regarding "Bear Lake"...

        Do we really have to take a name that identifies ourselves with a pro sports team?

        I liked "Barony of the Inland Sea", but apparently that was taken by a Barony in Northshield. I'm not entirely sure why that would preclude us from using it though...

        In Service,

        -Wolfram von Waldersbach
        "Voca me cum benedictis"
        Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles

        To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
        From: krpurtell@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 07:53:24 -0700
        Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

        I believe its just:
        Ayreton
        Dragonsfont
        Bear Lake

        Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on a stupid pun.
        I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can always be translated into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.

        Kevin Ambrozijwski

        Teleri <alta_gioiosa@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Do we have something similar up for the Name Submissions?  Is that coming soon?

        Teleri

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
          > also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can

          Not for us Packers fans :)

          Bojei
        • KCMalone3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
            If we are looking for something historical, "chicago" means the land of the stinky onion.  Not that I want to be known for a stinky plant!  LOL

            Anna

            **************
          • Teleri
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
              No, they Cant!!

              Teleri

              > You don't like puns Kevy. I thought they could take away your herald's
              > license for that :-)
              >
              > Cerian

            • Dolores Becker
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                Perhaps fans of the Packers (named for the meat packing industry) and natives of Chicago (slaughterhouse to the world) can come together peaceably in Lake of the Dead Cow or something...although I'd like to do some kind of riff on the 'Wild Onion' thing, I haven't had a chance to play with it...

                } ; )

                Moose

                -----Inline Message Follows-----

                ------------ -------

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Botanically speaking, allium is the genus name for the
                  onion family. Barony of the Allium Wind would be
                  amusing...

                  Although, I believe the native members of the onion
                  family are Allium canadense (found all over the
                  state), Nodding Onion Allium cernuum (which only
                  occurs in the Chicago land region now a days), and the
                  cliff onion Allium stellatum (which only occurs in
                  McHenry county and then the southern tip). There's
                  also Allium tricoccum, the wild leek, which most
                  attribute as being the where the name of Chicago came
                  from, and it is found all over the upper half of the
                  state.

                  Allium is greek for garlic. However, it would be easy
                  to play off the cernuum, derived from cernuus meaning
                  nodding or drooping, in the native plant, just because
                  now a days, that's the only one found JUST in the
                  upper NE quad. Tricoccum is a reference to three
                  spheres (possible reference to what a leaf looks like
                  when cut, I think).

                  Yes, I know too much about plants. I'm giving a
                  presentation on Native plants over the weekend.

                  Granted, I would think that the Barony would want to
                  keep the name of Ayreton. Links to the past are part
                  of what name up our game, and knowing the roots of a
                  group can be a powerful identifier.

                  Granted, it's not like I have a say in this. ;) Or
                  perhaps I have said too much. ;)

                  Metylda
                  Ravenslake

                  --- Dolores Becker <danceswithwords42@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Perhaps fans of the Packers (named for the meat
                  > packing industry) and natives of Chicago
                  > (slaughterhouse to the world) can come together
                  > peaceably in Lake of the Dead Cow or
                  > something...although I'd like to do some kind of
                  > riff on the 'Wild Onion' thing, I haven't had a
                  > chance to play with it...
                  >
                  > } ; )
                  >
                  > Moose

                  > The almost right life is nothing at all. The right
                  > life is dangerous, open-ended, more questions than
                  > answers, a map to undiscovered countries.
                  > -- 'Chasing Shakespeares' by Sarah Smith

                  0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                  > -->
                  >
                  > <!--
                  >
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
                  > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
                  > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  > #ygrp-text{
                  > font-family:Georgia;
                  > }
                  > #ygrp-text p{
                  > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  > font-family:Arial;
                  > clear:both;}
                  > #ygrp-vitnav{

                  > #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  > padding:0 1px;}
                  > #ygrp-actbar{
                  > clear:both;margin:25px
                  > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
                  > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                  > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  > #ygrp-grft{
                  > #ygrp-ft{
                  > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
                  > solid #666;
                  > padding:5px 0;
                  > }
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  > padding-bottom:10px;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-reco {
                  > margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                  > #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                  > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
                  >
                  > #reco-grpname{
                  > font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                  > #reco-category{
                  > font-size:77%;}
                  > #reco-desc{
                  > font-size:77%;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-vital{

                  background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px
                  > 0 8px 8px;}
                  > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

                  > #ygrp-vital ul{
                  > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  > list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid
                  > #e0ecee;
                  > }
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

                  > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  > font-weight:bold;}
                  > #ygrp-vital a{
                  > text-decoration:none;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  > text-decoration:underline;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  > padding:6px
                  > 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  > background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0
                  > 8px;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  > padding:8px 0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  > text-decoration:none;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  > text-decoration:underline;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  > margin:0;}
                  > o{font-size:0;}
                  > .MsoNormal{
                  > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  > #ygrp-text tt{
                  > font-size:120%;}
                  > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  > .replbq{margin:4;}
                  > -->
                  >

                  > -----Inline Message Follows-----
                  >

                  > I believe its just:
                  > Ayreton
                  > Dragonsfont
                  > Bear Lake
                  >
                  > Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have
                  > the group name based on a stupid pun.
                  > I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not
                  > certain it follows Medieval place naming practices.
                  > Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I
                  > also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something
                  > we all have in common. It can always be translated
                  > into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland.
                  > YMMV.
                  >
                  > Kevin Ambrozijwski
                  >
                  > Teleri <alta_gioiosa@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                  > Do we have something similar up for the
                  > Name Submissions? Is that coming soon?
                  >
                  > Teleri

                  === message truncated ===

                  There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

                  *****

                  Me þæt wyrd gewæf

                • Christian Fournier
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                    I liked "Barony of the Inland Sea", but apparently that was taken by a Barony in Northshield. I'm not entirely sure why that would preclude us from using it though...

                    If it's a name already registered with the College of Arms, then that precludes us from using it (unless we get permission from the previous registrant to use it).

                    From what I'm able to find in the Armorial, there's no "Barony of Inland Sea" currently registered.  There is a "Black Company of the Inland Seas", and an "Inland Seas Herald" (the latter name is registered to the Kingdom of Ealdormere; the former name to an individual, Brand the Black, probably as the name of his household).

                    So, it might or might not be possible to register "Barony of the Inland Sea"; any of the real herald-types here can answer to that better than I can.

                     Christian
                  • nadezda_zezastrizl
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                      Um....ooops....the list from Carnival is sitting on my desk at home
                      (currently I'm at work)--I've been meaning to find out what to do with
                      it, but since there's a discussion already--I know it was 3 things on
                      the list, and
                      Ayreton, Dragonsfont, Bear Lake sounds right.

                      Could certainly add Allium Wind to it....

                      What can I say...been busy with the devices...and also a recent round
                      of being reminded where the 'windy city' nickname came from....

                      -Nadezda
                    • JC Ravage
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                        I found a couple other interesting ones.

                        "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
                        "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

                        If we want another Chicago reference.

                        Will Atherbridge

                        -------------------
                        Voting on the PIB device will occur alongside the officer elections.  So, you can send in your electronic vote by proxy, or vote in person on April 26 for your favorite device.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask the Towne Cryer or your local seneschal.

                        "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII
                      • KCMalone3@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                          ravagio@... writes:

                          "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

                          I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

                          Thanks!  Anna

                          **************
                        • David Roland
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                            I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

                            Ian

                            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

                            > No, they Cant!!
                            >
                            > Teleri

                            No Cost.

                          • JC Ravage

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
                                by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
                                so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
                                Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
                                The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

                                Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

                                Ian

                                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

                                > ravagio@... writes:
                                >
                                > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
                                >
                                > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
                                >
                                > Thanks! Anna
                                >

                                > **************
                                > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
                                > Travel Guides.
                                >
                                > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                              • Tedesco da Venezia

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                                    I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                                    Teleri

                                  • boomboom93@juno.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                                      Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                                      the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                                      dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                                      Livy an Bheithir

                                      ___________
                                    • rdpierce@pobox.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                                        boomboom93@... said:

                                        >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                                        >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                                        >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                                        And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                                        We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                                        would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                                        I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                                        Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                                        for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                                        of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                                        In service,
                                        Ryan