Proto-Incipient Baronial Device Competition

  • Ayreton Towne Cryer
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008

      Greetings unto the Populace of Ayreton from the Towne Cryer!

      Thank you to everyone who has submitted a suggestion for a device for the PIB of Ayreton.  Nadezda has kindly converted them to electronic form and posted them.  You can get to them from the Ayreton website  (www.ayreton.org), or go directly to them here:

      If you are inspired by these submissions and have a last-minute submission of your own, please send it in ELECTRONIC FORMAT (.gif or .jpg) to the Towne Cryer by April 9.

      THL Phebe has graciously offered to conflict-check these submissions.  If there are any changes we will let you know.

      -------------------
      Voting on the PIB device will occur alongside the officer elections.  So, you can send in your electronic vote by proxy, or vote in person on April 26 for your favorite device.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask the Towne Cryer or your local seneschal.

    • KCMalone3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
        Thank you, Nadezda,for putting the designs in electronic form!  I enjoyed seeing all the various deisgns and reading the reasons behind the choices made.

        Anna

        **************
      • Mike C. Baker
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
          Comment from an interested but currently non-local (I'm back home in the Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra) herald-type:

          Don't worry about trying to get the words right, the heralds know how to do that.  (Just keep the Rules for Submission in mind to make our job simpler.)

          Do remember that the SCA College of Arms registers the DRAWING (emblazon) not the DESCRIPTION (blazon).

          And on that note,
          Item 7: "Per fess azure and vert within an annulet argent, charged with five mullets of six point gules, a laurel wreath argent" needs to have the blazon corrected (the laurel wreath as depicted is Or, not Argent); the commas are a good indication that the whole blazon may probably need rework; as the wreath and annulet are sized to be co-primaries, this makes the order of specification a bit more tricky, although the styles I learned / try to use tend to prefer top-down center-out layers-up; therefore, I offer for consideration the blazon

              Per fess azure and vert a laurel wreath or within an annulet argent charged with five mullets of six point gules

          Item 2:  (no blazon shown) possible blazon "Argent five mullets of six points in annulo within a laurel wreath gules";  my primary question is whether or not what I have called mullets (stars) may be blazonable as something else -- if they are intended as stars/mullets, I would suggest re-drawing prior to submission

          Item 3:  (no blazon given) prototype blazon "Per fess wavy sable estencelly argent and sable, a fess wavy argent voided azure, in base a laurel wreath argent" [the "river" effect is a potential problem]

          Item 5: "Per pale vert & azure a dragons head couped or In or 5 laurel wreaths or" looks like a typo crept in; offered blazon "Per pale vert & azure a dragons head couped within 5 laurel wreaths in annulo or"

          Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

          Mike C. Baker
          Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
          alt. e-mail: KiheBard@...  OR MikeCBaker@...

          Greetings unto the Populace of Ayreton from the Towne Cryer!

          Thank you to everyone who has submitted a suggestion for a device for the PIB of Ayreton.  Nadezda has kindly converted them to electronic form and posted them.  You can get to them from the Ayreton website  (www.ayreton. org), or go directly to them here:

          If you are inspired by these submissions and have a last-minute submission of your own, please send it in ELECTRONIC FORMAT (.gif or jpg) to the Towne Cryer by April 9.

          THL Phebe has graciously offered to conflict-check these submissions.  If there are any changes we will let you know.

          ------------ -------

          .

        • nadezda_zezastrizl
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
            I only provided the blazens where there were given to me, except for
            the rough blazen on #9 (got carried away).
            On #2--I rendered it as it came to me--so clarification may be needed
            from Lady Caitriona. FWIW the original was clearly not a simple star or
            diamond.
            -Nadezda
          • Teleri
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
              As the submitter of item 5, yup, that's what I meant.

              Teleri (who is still working on her Heraldeeze)

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
                Do we have something similar up for the Name Submissions?  Is that coming soon?

                Teleri

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                  I believe its just:
                  Ayreton
                  Dragonsfont
                  Bear Lake

                  Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on a stupid pun.
                  I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can always be translated into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.

                  Kevin Ambrozijwski

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                    You don't like puns Kevy. I thought they could take away your herald's
                    license for that :-)

                    Cerian

                    kevin purtrell wrote:
                    > I believe its just:
                    > Ayreton
                    > Dragonsfont
                    > Bear Lake
                    >
                    > Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have the group name based on
                    > a stupid pun.
                    > I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not certain it follows
                    > Medieval place naming practices. Perhaps someone who knows more than I
                    > can clarify. I also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all
                    > have in common. It can always be translated into another language if
                    > "Bear Lake" is too bland. YMMV.
                  • Wolfram von Waldersbach
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                      Regarding "Bear Lake"...

                      Do we really have to take a name that identifies ourselves with a pro sports team?

                      I liked "Barony of the Inland Sea", but apparently that was taken by a Barony in Northshield. I'm not entirely sure why that would preclude us from using it though...

                      In Service,

                      -Wolfram von Waldersbach
                      "Voca me cum benedictis"
                      Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles

                      To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com

                    • kateslists@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                        > also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something we all have in common. It can

                        Not for us Packers fans :)

                        Bojei
                      • KCMalone3@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                          If we are looking for something historical, "chicago" means the land of the stinky onion.  Not that I want to be known for a stinky plant!  LOL

                          Anna

                          **************
                        • Teleri
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                            No, they Cant!!

                            Teleri

                            > You don't like puns Kevy. I thought they could take away your herald's
                            > license for that :-)
                            >
                            > Cerian

                          • Dolores Becker
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                              Perhaps fans of the Packers (named for the meat packing industry) and natives of Chicago (slaughterhouse to the world) can come together peaceably in Lake of the Dead Cow or something...although I'd like to do some kind of riff on the 'Wild Onion' thing, I haven't had a chance to play with it...

                              } ; )

                              Moose

                              -----Inline Message Follows-----

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                Botanically speaking, allium is the genus name for the
                                onion family. Barony of the Allium Wind would be
                                amusing...

                                Although, I believe the native members of the onion
                                family are Allium canadense (found all over the
                                state), Nodding Onion Allium cernuum (which only
                                occurs in the Chicago land region now a days), and the
                                cliff onion Allium stellatum (which only occurs in
                                McHenry county and then the southern tip). There's
                                also Allium tricoccum, the wild leek, which most
                                attribute as being the where the name of Chicago came
                                from, and it is found all over the upper half of the
                                state.

                                Allium is greek for garlic. However, it would be easy
                                to play off the cernuum, derived from cernuus meaning
                                nodding or drooping, in the native plant, just because
                                now a days, that's the only one found JUST in the
                                upper NE quad. Tricoccum is a reference to three
                                spheres (possible reference to what a leaf looks like
                                when cut, I think).

                                Yes, I know too much about plants. I'm giving a
                                presentation on Native plants over the weekend.

                                Granted, I would think that the Barony would want to
                                keep the name of Ayreton. Links to the past are part
                                of what name up our game, and knowing the roots of a
                                group can be a powerful identifier.

                                Granted, it's not like I have a say in this. ;) Or
                                perhaps I have said too much. ;)

                                Metylda
                                Ravenslake

                                --- Dolores Becker <danceswithwords42@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Perhaps fans of the Packers (named for the meat
                                > packing industry) and natives of Chicago
                                > (slaughterhouse to the world) can come together
                                > peaceably in Lake of the Dead Cow or
                                > something...although I'd like to do some kind of
                                > riff on the 'Wild Onion' thing, I haven't had a
                                > chance to play with it...
                                >
                                > } ; )
                                >
                                > Moose

                                > The almost right life is nothing at all. The right
                                > life is dangerous, open-ended, more questions than
                                > answers, a map to undiscovered countries.
                                > -- 'Chasing Shakespeares' by Sarah Smith

                                0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                > -->
                                >
                                > <!--
                                >
                                > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
                                > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                                > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
                                > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                                > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                > #ygrp-text{
                                > font-family:Georgia;
                                > }
                                > #ygrp-text p{
                                > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                > font-family:Arial;
                                > clear:both;}
                                > #ygrp-vitnav{

                                > #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                > padding:0 1px;}
                                > #ygrp-actbar{
                                > clear:both;margin:25px
                                > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
                                > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                > #ygrp-grft{
                                > #ygrp-ft{
                                > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
                                > solid #666;
                                > padding:5px 0;
                                > }
                                > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                > padding-bottom:10px;}
                                >
                                > #ygrp-reco {
                                > margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                                > #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                                > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
                                >
                                > #reco-grpname{
                                > font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                                > #reco-category{
                                > font-size:77%;}
                                > #reco-desc{
                                > font-size:77%;}
                                >
                                > #ygrp-vital{

                                background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px
                                > 0 8px 8px;}
                                > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

                                > #ygrp-vital ul{
                                > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                > #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                > list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid
                                > #e0ecee;
                                > }
                                > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

                                > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                > font-weight:bold;}
                                > #ygrp-vital a{
                                > text-decoration:none;}
                                >
                                > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                > text-decoration:underline;}
                                >
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                > padding:6px
                                > 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                > background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0
                                > 8px;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                > padding:8px 0;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

                                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                > text-decoration:none;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                > text-decoration:underline;}
                                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                > margin:0;}
                                > o{font-size:0;}
                                > .MsoNormal{
                                > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                > #ygrp-text tt{
                                > font-size:120%;}
                                > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                > .replbq{margin:4;}
                                > -->
                                >

                                > -----Inline Message Follows-----
                                >

                                > I believe its just:
                                > Ayreton
                                > Dragonsfont
                                > Bear Lake
                                >
                                > Personally, I hate Ayreton. I'd rather not have
                                > the group name based on a stupid pun.
                                > I'm liking Dragonsfont more and more, but I'm not
                                > certain it follows Medieval place naming practices.
                                > Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify. I
                                > also like Bear Lake its very neutral and something
                                > we all have in common. It can always be translated
                                > into another language if "Bear Lake" is too bland.
                                > YMMV.
                                >
                                > Kevin Ambrozijwski
                                >
                                > Teleri <alta_gioiosa@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                                > Do we have something similar up for the
                                > Name Submissions? Is that coming soon?
                                >
                                > Teleri

                                === message truncated ===

                                There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

                                *****

                                Me þæt wyrd gewæf

                              • Christian Fournier
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                  I liked "Barony of the Inland Sea", but apparently that was taken by a Barony in Northshield. I'm not entirely sure why that would preclude us from using it though...

                                  If it's a name already registered with the College of Arms, then that precludes us from using it (unless we get permission from the previous registrant to use it).

                                  From what I'm able to find in the Armorial, there's no "Barony of Inland Sea" currently registered.  There is a "Black Company of the Inland Seas", and an "Inland Seas Herald" (the latter name is registered to the Kingdom of Ealdormere; the former name to an individual, Brand the Black, probably as the name of his household).

                                  So, it might or might not be possible to register "Barony of the Inland Sea"; any of the real herald-types here can answer to that better than I can.

                                   Christian
                                • nadezda_zezastrizl
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                    Um....ooops....the list from Carnival is sitting on my desk at home
                                    (currently I'm at work)--I've been meaning to find out what to do with
                                    it, but since there's a discussion already--I know it was 3 things on
                                    the list, and
                                    Ayreton, Dragonsfont, Bear Lake sounds right.

                                    Could certainly add Allium Wind to it....

                                    What can I say...been busy with the devices...and also a recent round
                                    of being reminded where the 'windy city' nickname came from....

                                    -Nadezda
                                  • JC Ravage
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                      I found a couple other interesting ones.

                                      "Abercraf" is Welsh for "River mouth of Garlic," which is basically what Chicago means in the native american language it was taken from.  Similarly,
                                      "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

                                      If we want another Chicago reference.

                                      Will Atherbridge

                                      Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:
[...]

                                      "Hard it is to lift a full cup without spilling."--Gorice XII
                                    • KCMalone3@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                        ravagio@... writes:

                                        "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."

                                        I like the look of that.  But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?

                                        Thanks!  Anna

                                        **************
                                      • David Roland
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                          I suppose they could start making ink and de-Cant

                                          Ian

                                          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

                                          > No, they Cant!!
                                          >
                                          > Teleri

                                          No Cost.

                                        • JC Ravage

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                                              It is my understanding that the name of the Barony has to past the Period Name Test. And
                                              by the way, Ayreton in my very limited research does. I like a lot of the other names I see
                                              so far. Dragonsfont? I like it but it makes me think of a computer font. Barony of the
                                              Inland Sea if its not already taken could be cool too. And here is one not mentioned yet.
                                              The Lake Zephyr Barony. Solves the pun "problem" and it describes the lake effect winds.

                                              Just thinking out loud, a somewhat dangerous thing I know.

                                              Ian

                                              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

                                              > ravagio@... writes:
                                              >
                                              > > "Leacwic" is Old English for "Garlic town."
                                              >
                                              > I like the look of that. But could you tell me how to pronounce it please?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks! Anna
                                              >

                                              > **************
                                              > Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL
                                              > Travel Guides.
                                              >
                                              > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                                            • Tedesco da Venezia

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                                                  I love the Welsh, but I would like our name to reflect something about the group we are and /or hope to be.  I like the name Dragonsfont, because it ties us into our history in the Midrealm.  I'm not sure that a sentiment of garlic, or onions, or stinky swamp is where I'd want to go to commemorate the creation of this new group.  I'm no good at constructing place names, but being a minstrel, I think any name should also rhyme well with something and sound pleasant when shouted or sung.

                                                  Teleri

                                                • boomboom93@juno.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 8, 2008
                                                    Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                                                    the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                                                    dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                                                    Livy an Bheithir

                                                    ___________
                                                  • rdpierce@pobox.com
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
                                                      boomboom93@... said:

                                                      >Um, I'm just catching up on this whole thing, but I think we would spend
                                                      >the next twenty years fielding sarcastic questions about what the
                                                      >dragonsfont looks like and is it compatible with both Mac and PC.

                                                      And since I'm in a humorous mood....

                                                      We're the Society for Creative Anachronism. So I think the dragonsfont
                                                      would need to be in the Adobe Type 1 format.

                                                      I suppose the office of Chronicler could be renamed to Baronial
                                                      Typographer? The unofficial coinage could be denominated in Points? And
                                                      for Baronial awards, this opens up a lot of possibilities.... The Order
                                                      of the Serif, Companion of Kerning....

                                                      In service,
                                                      Ryan