Re: [Ayreton] PIB Candidates and warrants

  • Sarafina Sinclair
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3 9:12 AM
      Me again.

      I realized that I didn't specifically address the offices that need additional training.

      When looking at the Middle Kingdom website. It doesn't specifically say if you need to have a warrant first to be considered a chirurgeon. You may be able to be a chirurgeon in training. Here's the FAQ page:

      From the Middle Kingdom website, you can be a Marshal-In-Training and supervise group practices. Follow this link to the page:

      "Group Marshals-in-Training

      Group Marshals-in-Training are a special case. These individuals are restricted-warrant officers of the marshallate and may supervise local fighting practices. However, they may not authorize new combatants or conduct armored combat events. "

      I promise not to post for at leas another hour or so.

      Sarafina  :D

      On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Philippa of Otterbourne <otterbourne@...> wrote:

      Unto the populace of Ayreton does Lady Philippa of Otterbourne send greetings.

      As I am only familiar with officer selections at a local group level, I wish to ask for some clarification from the more experienced members of the populace or the "Powers That Be at this point in our Baronial Process."

      I have looked over the candidates listed in the email from the Ayreton Town Crier and have read each candidates blurb on the website.  I believe in being an informed voter.  What I'd like clarification on is if candidates for offices which require warrants need to have the required warrant prior to the election process?

      If so, is someone vetting the candidates to ensure any pre-requisites are met?  Will this information be communicated to the populace on either the egroup or the website?  If it's not a requirement, can we still let the populace know who does or doesn't have a warrant for the office they are running for?  I personally would like to specifically know if a marshal or chiurgeon candidate has in fact completed the required training and evaluation period for the office they wish to hold.

      Humbly submitted,

      ---
      Philippa

      --
      Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, OL
      http://ladysarafina.home.att.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3 9:13 AM
        I am also a warranted marshal. Actually, I think every marshal candidate is warranted.

        In Service,

        -Wolfram von Waldersbach
        "Voca me cum benedictis"
        Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles

        To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
        From: Scribesquire@...
        Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:00:54 +0000
        Subject: Re: [Ayreton] PIB Candidates and warrants

        I am indeed a warranted marshal.

        Henry of Exeter

        From: "Philippa of Otterbourne" <otterbourne@ gmail.com>

[...]

      • Christian Fournier
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 10:45 AM
          A word about warrants, because it can be a confusing topic in and of
          itself, may be in order:

          A warrant is, literally, nothing more or less than an indication that
          the Crown finds the given individual worthy of performing an office.
          Some types of office (particularly seneschals, exchequers, ministers
          of arts and science, ministers of youth, and a few others) only exist
          as part of a group (particularly: marshals of all sorts, chirurgeons,
          and heralds) may be part of a group, or may be "field" offices
          (currently, for example, I am a rapier marshal, but do not act in a
          specific supervisory role for any given group-- I'm a rapier marshal
          "of the field").

          "Field" officers must maintain a warrant, even when not acting as a
          group officer. Seneschals, exchequers, and the like are ONLY
          warranted while serving in a group office. Per Kingdom Law, in fact,
          the PIB seneschal (for example) will only *become* warranted when and
          if the group is given full status by the Crown.

          So, I think Phillipa's question is very relevant, but it's also
          important to understand to which offices it applies, and to which it
          doesn't. As others have suggested, the people who've applied for PIB
          marshal positions are all warranted already (Henry and I said so in
          our blurbs, and Wolfram is acting as a group marshal, and so must
          have an active field warrant); For chirurgeon, Seathan is the
          current regional (so must be warranted).

          So, the only "field-warrant" applicants who aren't clearly already
          warranted are Angus Fraser (for Chirurgeon) and Phebe Bonadeci (for
          Herald)-- PLEASE note that I'm not suggesting that these people
          aren't warranted-- I'm just saying that their "blurbs" don't make it
          completely clear if they're warranted or not...

          Hope this helps,

          Christian Fournier
          Rules Wonk Extraordinaire
        • Dougal MacAlister

            From: Scribesquire@ comcast.net
            Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:00:54 +0000

            From: "Philippa of Otterbourne" <otterbourne@ gmail.com>
[...]

            Lord Dougal MacAlister, C.D.B.
            Midlands Regional Archery Marshal

          • PJ Reaney
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3 12:14 PM
              I am currently warrented as a Herald-at-Large.

              At your service,

              THL Phebe Bonadeci

[...]

            • Ron Sargent
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3 7:03 PM

                Warrants for a Baronial officer are signed by the Crown and the Great Officer of State.  Both must find the candidate acceptable.  More often than not, if a candidate is not acceptable, it will be the Great Officer that vetos it.  I have seen instances where the Crown refuses to warrant someone, but they are the exception.

                Thorvald

                16 more days as a Great Officer