PIB Candidates and warrants

  • Philippa of Otterbourne
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3 8:29 AM
      Unto the populace of Ayreton does Lady Philippa of Otterbourne send greetings.

      As I am only familiar with officer selections at a local group level, I wish to ask for some clarification from the more experienced members of the populace or the "Powers That Be at this point in our Baronial Process."

      I have looked over the candidates listed in the email from the Ayreton Town Crier and have read each candidates blurb on the website.  I believe in being an informed voter.  What I'd like clarification on is if candidates for offices which require warrants need to have the required warrant prior to the election process?

      If so, is someone vetting the candidates to ensure any pre-requisites are met?  Will this information be communicated to the populace on either the egroup or the website?  If it's not a requirement, can we still let the populace know who does or doesn't have a warrant for the office they are running for?  I personally would like to specifically know if a marshal or chiurgeon candidate has in fact completed the required training and evaluation period for the office they wish to hold.

      Humbly submitted,

      ---
      Philippa
    • Scribesquire@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3 9:00 AM
        I am indeed a warranted marshal.

        Henry of Exeter

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 9:01 AM
          Philippa et al,

          As far as I know, the only prerequisite to be an officer is a willingness to serve and to be a paid member. You also have to be willing to have your contact info published in the pale. You receive your warrant after you have been found acceptable by the Crown (usually via the kingdom officer for the office you wish to hold).

          Here is the text from the senechal change of officer form:

          "I understand that it is my first duty to notify my Regional and Kingdom Officers. I understand that I will function as an acting officer until the appropriate Kingdom Officer and the Crown of the Middle Kingdom warrant me. I am a sustaining member in good standing of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., or I am an associate or family member and live at the same address as a subscribing member. I understand that I must regularly report on the state of my office to the branch members and to the appropriate Regional and Kingdom Officers. To the best of my knowledge I am able to fulfill all requirements and to perform all duties of the office. I also consent to have my contact information on the Kingdom newsletter and on the Kingdom web-site."

          Hope this answers your question.

          Sarafina

          --
          Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, OL
          http://ladysarafina.home.att.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3 9:05 AM
            FWIW the people warrented as Herald are at:
            http://www.midrealm.org/heraldry/roster_curr.htm

            and for chiurgeon at:
            http://www.midrealm.org/chirurgeon/currentroster.pdf
          • Sarafina Sinclair
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3 9:12 AM
              Me again.

              I realized that I didn't specifically address the offices that need additional training.

              When looking at the Middle Kingdom website. It doesn't specifically say if you need to have a warrant first to be considered a chirurgeon. You may be able to be a chirurgeon in training. Here's the FAQ page:

              From the Middle Kingdom website, you can be a Marshal-In-Training and supervise group practices. Follow this link to the page:

              "Group Marshals-in-Training

              Group Marshals-in-Training are a special case. These individuals are restricted-warrant officers of the marshallate and may supervise local fighting practices. However, they may not authorize new combatants or conduct armored combat events. "

              I promise not to post for at leas another hour or so.

              Sarafina  :D

[...]

            • Wolfram von Waldersbach
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3 9:13 AM
                I am also a warranted marshal. Actually, I think every marshal candidate is warranted.

                In Service,

                -Wolfram von Waldersbach
                "Voca me cum benedictis"
                Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles

                To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
                From: Scribesquire@...
                Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:00:54 +0000
                Subject: Re: [Ayreton] PIB Candidates and warrants

                From: "Philippa of Otterbourne" <otterbourne@ gmail.com>

[...]

              • Christian Fournier
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3 10:45 AM
                  A word about warrants, because it can be a confusing topic in and of
                  itself, may be in order:

                  A warrant is, literally, nothing more or less than an indication that
                  the Crown finds the given individual worthy of performing an office.
                  Some types of office (particularly seneschals, exchequers, ministers
                  of arts and science, ministers of youth, and a few others) only exist
                  as part of a group (particularly: marshals of all sorts, chirurgeons,
                  and heralds) may be part of a group, or may be "field" offices
                  (currently, for example, I am a rapier marshal, but do not act in a
                  specific supervisory role for any given group-- I'm a rapier marshal
                  "of the field").

                  "Field" officers must maintain a warrant, even when not acting as a
                  group officer. Seneschals, exchequers, and the like are ONLY
                  warranted while serving in a group office. Per Kingdom Law, in fact,
                  the PIB seneschal (for example) will only *become* warranted when and
                  if the group is given full status by the Crown.

                  So, I think Phillipa's question is very relevant, but it's also
                  important to understand to which offices it applies, and to which it
                  doesn't. As others have suggested, the people who've applied for PIB
                  marshal positions are all warranted already (Henry and I said so in
                  our blurbs, and Wolfram is acting as a group marshal, and so must
                  have an active field warrant); For chirurgeon, Seathan is the
                  current regional (so must be warranted).

                  So, the only "field-warrant" applicants who aren't clearly already
                  warranted are Angus Fraser (for Chirurgeon) and Phebe Bonadeci (for
                  Herald)-- PLEASE note that I'm not suggesting that these people
                  aren't warranted-- I'm just saying that their "blurbs" don't make it
                  completely clear if they're warranted or not...

                  Hope this helps,

                  Christian Fournier
                  Rules Wonk Extraordinaire
                • Dougal MacAlister

                    From: Scribesquire@ comcast.net
                    Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:00:54 +0000

                    From: "Philippa of Otterbourne" <otterbourne@ gmail.com>
[...]

                    Lord Dougal MacAlister, C.D.B.
                    Midlands Regional Archery Marshal

                  • PJ Reaney
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3 12:14 PM
                      I am currently warrented as a Herald-at-Large.

                      At your service,

                      THL Phebe Bonadeci

[...]

                    • Ron Sargent
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3 7:03 PM

                        Warrants for a Baronial officer are signed by the Crown and the Great Officer of State.  Both must find the candidate acceptable.  More often than not, if a candidate is not acceptable, it will be the Great Officer that vetos it.  I have seen instances where the Crown refuses to warrant someone, but they are the exception.

                        Thorvald

                        16 more days as a Great Officer