Re: [Ayreton] Roundtable Discussion

  • K Westburg
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 12, 2006
      Part of the difficulty with finding suitable sites is how complex events have become. Does anyone remember when an event consisted of a Heavy Weapons Tourney and a Feast?  Now we need A&S classrooms, children's activites, 3 list fields, (heavy, rapier, boffer) an archery range, showers, kitchen, dining facilities, lots of parking, sometimes Royalty rooms, royalty lunch, populous lunch, merchant areas, changing rooms.

      The target area for the location of this event is Suburban Chicago and close lying suburbs. The suburban/Chicago school districts are very closed to the idea of renting their facilities despite that fact that they sit empty on weekends and they are constantly complaining that they have no money.  Suburban Park Districts use their facilities on weekends and tend not to have kitchens.  Forest Preserves have very limited indoor space and primitive faciltities, but lots of space!  Churches with school/gym facilities are rare in the suburbs and usually require a person who is a member of the congregation to act as liaison.  Small convention/hotel facilties are available but are very expensive.

      We might want to consider offering specific activities related to the event's theme rather than offering every activity imaginable.  Perhaps we would want to host an event with activites that more closely matched to real Medieval Tournaments rather than "a living history convention."

      Or perhaps we should expand our site scouting to less densly populated areas where faciltities might be more accessible.

      Kathy Westburg
      "The most powerful force
      in the universe
      is human imagination."

    • AlexdeSet@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 28, 2006
         Greetings!
             Are you looking for an outdoor or indoor site? You could price the MKAOD/Border Skirmish site. Greg LaPlante, 815-690-1234. 303 Herbert Rd, Lakemoor, IL 60051
        Ta,