Carnivale Report

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
      Greetings All!

      I was asked to report information about the Carnivale.

      I'll do my best!

      In fact – I'd like to hear other people's stories of the day too.
      Take it as a challenge to make us all smile.

      So I arrived early in the morning with Lord Adam to check in. There
      we people already setting up and getting dressed and we met a couple
      of nice new people. The site tokens were the beautiful pewter cast
      masks (awesome stuff) and the feast tokens were these cute rolled up
      menus (nice job!).

      We set off to get dressed, set our stuff to the side, and then help
      other people unload and come into the event. I also signed up to
      judge but wasn't chosen, so I just looked over the stuff was there.
      Excellent job artists!

      The Pippin's taught a class in the morning for beginning part song.
      We had two people – both of who seemed to have a great time. And one
      of them joined us later in the day for our concert – mission
      accomplished! Though a low attendance it gave us confidence to teach
      this class at other events (Pennsic perhaps). I know a number of the
      teachers were using the Carnivale for the same reason too.

      During lunch I got to talk to some good friends and enjoy more of the
      art. And then I was off to teach my dance class. It was fun – I had a
      good mix of experience levels and people seemed to laugh at my jokes
      (always a good thing). And – I think they will want to dance again
      which makes me smile right now.

      After that I walked around the field room to check out the merchants,
      see how the scrolls work was coming together, and check out some of
      the fighting. It was obvious people were having a great time.

      Then I was back to the performance time. We had to announce it at the
      event because it wasn't on the schedule – but people showed up. I
      sang with the Pippins and played with the Baron's Noyse. Then we got
      to hear a few other performers.

      What was really awe inspiring, was that HL Kuji donated the money he
      received fro performing to Baroness Mor to help with her grandchild.
      That charity and the other organized by Mistress Sarafina left me
      with a very positive feeling from the event.

      Our gathering of the Township was fun too. I always feel inspired
      when we have the Mayor talk to us all – and give people recognition
      from the day. And I like how we all come together. It makes me feel
      like we are all working to a common goal. It is fun, since we are
      coming together for a business meeting, but instead as a celebration
      for the day.

      As an aside, the specific information I was asked to provide I am
      unable too (who are PIB candidates) – I thought suggesting that our
      Cryer would post would be sufficient but … *shrug*. And it is just
      simply because I do not know the most current list… It is not that I
      can not read…

      Dinner was also a lot of fun. The friendly food fight was not so
      friendly – but the food was great. And I made it around to the tables
      to talk to friends and just relax. The performers that walked around
      table to table were also fun – a lady I do not know play a harp – it
      was beautiful… And I still want more mint watermelon.

      I'm already looking forward to next year. And again, thanks to
      everyone for a wonderful time.

      Your Servant to Command,
      ~philip white
    • Christian Fournier
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
        I arrived at Carnivale a bit before 10 am, and got straight into
        armor for some pick-up fights, prior to the aforementioned class with
        the Pippins at 11. After class, I ran back to the list field, where
        I spent the next four hours fencing, stopping only briefly to enjoy
        some time with THL Patrick von Brandenberg's wonderful wooden horses,
        which he used later in the afternoon for his class dealing with
        historical combat on horseback.

        Warder Anton du Marais did a fine job with the fencing, hosting a
        melee practice for the upcoming war season, as well as a rapier
        champions practice/tryout (two things that always makes me, in my
        capacity as Lt General of the Midrealm Army, glad).

        At 4, I stripped off my armor, and rejoined the Pippins, as we kicked
        off the concert. My wife and I stayed and enjoyed the rest of the
        concert, by which point I realized that I hadn't eaten yet
        (literally, skipped breakfast and lunch, because I was enjoying the
        fighting too much!) So, we skipped the town hall meeting, to go
        directly to get some food into me.

        A fine time, in all-- though, I have to admit, I did little but sing
        and fight all day. Okay, maybe that's what makes for a good time,
        for me... :)

        Christian Fournier
      • smlworldvortex
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
          --- Philip White requested:
          > In fact – I'd like to hear other people's stories of the day too.
          > Take it as a challenge to make us all smile.

          Perhaps the perspective of a new arrival in the Known World will make
          you smile.

          My lady wife Elke and I didn't arrive until after mid-day...mostly
          due to the fact that dear Elke stayed up all night preparing some of
          my attire for the day (and to think there's oh so much more to do),
          so we missed a number of classes we wanted to attend in the morning.

          As I desire to test myself in the lists someday, I found myself drawn
          to the bear pit and passed much of the afternoon being inspired by
          the boldness and chivalry displayed. I have worn armor but once, in
          some friendly instructive sparring at Grey Gargoyles, but am strongly
          motivated by some of the examples shown to equip myself and learn, so
          that I can find my own glory as well.

          While it was my desire to attend some of the classes as well, I did
          find that the layout of the class locations was not ideal for
          circulating between watching the combat and attending a class here
          and there. For people like me, it'll be nice to attend events where
          there is not needful to get my horse from the stables in order to
          communicate between the various locations onsite.

          I was very happy to see a community meeting held. It made me feel
          that this group of people truly is interested in those with whom they
          commune. I understand there is some consternation about how this
          meeting was conducted. My perspective as a total neophyte is that
          the meeting was nothing but good. Although I may have done things
          slightly differently had I been running things, those who took it
          upon themselves to add to a sense of community did a nice job. Even
          to my uninformed ears, the emotion and caring in the Lord Mayor's
          speaches was evident and brought a bit of moistness to my eyes.

          This being my first feast in the Known World, I was unsure what to
          expect. After seeing the menu, my expectations were quite high...and
          met! The new and unusual flavors from distant lands were a nice
          change from the simple mountain fare to which I am accustomed. I was
          particularly impressed at the care the cooks took to provide food for
          those who's choices lead them to not eat meats. As so many other
          people did, I particularly enoyed the mint-melons, although it is a
          disservice to the other wonderful offerings to not mention them all.
          Perhaps foremost in my memory is the refreshing beverage (from
          Arabia, I was led to understand) that was on every table.

          Of course, the best part of the day was meeting the fine gentles of
          the area. I beg forgiveness in advance from all the people who's
          names I will have forgotten when we next meet.

          Until that time, I am simply,

          Aldo
        • John Adams
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
            m'lord Aldo,

            Thank you for your kind words. As you've observed, we may not always be at our very best when discussing things passionately, but we do have a passion for what we do. Please permit me to extend to you and your lady a hearty welcome to our groups. May your passion find its voice in our community.

            -- Lord Grimkirk ap Greymoor
            Perhaps the perspective of a new arrival in the Known World will make
            you smile.

            <snipped for brevity>