Baronial Meetings

  • Andrew Otto
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2008

      What are we going to do as a Barony about moots and other business meetings?

      We are creating a group that will encompass more than 1500 square miles. Not all parts of this area are equally accessible from other parts. As an example, Naperville to Evanston is at least a 50-minute trip in good weather and traffic conditions. People that do not drive use a public transportation system that is good at moving people to and from the City center but is not much use when you want to get from Schaumburg to Tinley Park. The ever-rising cost of fuel is going to be a factor as well. A trip to Grey Gargoyles in my gas-guzzling van is currently costing $25 round trip.

      So, what to do?

      First of all, make the moot's day and time cast in stone. Choose a date that works reasonably well for a lot of people and STICK WITH IT. Dates that do not move tend to get scheduled around. People get used to the date/time and set their schedules accordingly. This is a CRITICAL requirement, because the location of the meetings may not be so fixed:

      The place for the moots needs to rotate around the Barony. I am sure that each Canton could find a reasonable place close to public transport that could accommodate a Baronial moot once or twice per year. We really cannot have a single location, it would tend to limit the group of people attending moots in person.

      Baronial officers would need to make every effort to get to every Baronial Moot..All subjects in the Barony should come to the Baronial moots. But, for those that cannot get to the moot physically, we need to provide some type of remote access. The simplest method is to have a speaker phone on at the moot site and a dial-in conference call number. More complex technical solutions are possible, but may require more computer or bandwidth that some can afford.

      This also allows the Baronial officers to get "face time" with a good deal of the populace. It also would help encourage more people to become involved in the planning and decision making processes of the Barony. Of course, these more "distributed" meetings would need to have good agendas, good planning, and good execution. And by doing THAT, the meetings would be more fun and, blissfully, shorter.

      -*Angus*-

      -*Andy*-