Re: [Ayreton] Re: Coronation gifts

  • Kathy Harrig
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
      Greetings all!!

      I've been watching this thread, and thought I'd throw my two cents worth in... :-)  having had some experience in the matter under discussion....

      Lots of groups make presentations and give gifts during a reign.  As do some individuals.
      It honestly isn't seen as trying to buy favor....  now if someone were to come up and hand over car keys, it might be a different thing.....

      Some things that are always appreciated and in short supply are scroll blanks and other such items....scroll cases being another good example.  You might check with TRHs Chamberlain once they become TRMs and see what award medallions they are short on at that time (there is a box of tokens and medallions that transfer reign to reign - some are well stocked, some not so much).  I can tell you now that things that can be given with AoA's especially are always in short supply - such as circlets or rings....

      Things that can be handed out to children are always useful as well.

      The mead idea is a very good one, especially as they will have need to stock a few mead halls at events.  Gifts to be given at Pennsic would, I'm certain, be appreciated.
      Just today I spent nearly $200 on gifts to give at Gulf Wars, and that is just to add to the major items we commissioned......and we are going as *visiting* Royals, not as a host.
      And these are not reimbursable expenses.....just part of the package of being Royalty.

      The new tradition is to do a gift exchange with only one other Kingdom, and I believe that we and the East exchange, then the Allies get matched up, but even so, when you are trying to attract Allies, it is always good to be able to have gifts to present over the course of the 'courtship' period.  :-)

      Gift cards for gas are great, as well as for Starbucks or fast food places that are common across the Kingdom.

      I hope some of these suggestions have helped!!

      Everyone take care, and I hope to see some of you at Gulf Wars!!
      Aislinn

    • Dayle Harding
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008
        Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  The backache that started right before Stone Dog became a BACKACHE, and my doc put me on muscle relaxers...I was very mellow, but sitting upright was not on the agenda.

        This ties in nicely with a lengthy conversation I had with Her Highness at Stone Dog.  She is currently working on a "device" for her to give out as tokens of appreciation at War.  She and I talked specifically of the Midrealm Youth Tourney, but as we talked I got the impression that if she has more, she'll use them for others, as well.  With that in mind, now that I'm almost to a point of thinking again (yea, yea, go ahead and make your sarcastic/comic comments now), I will email her about this.  She was thinking of some sort of Viking badge like thing, and the idea was still taking shape.  However, if I can get from her what she wants, I will post to any and all.

        To give you an idea....the Youth tourney at Pennsic is usually attended by approximately 90-100 fighters in the 4 categories (the three boffer age groups and the youth armored group).  So, this could potentially be a massive project that would eventually incorporate way more than just people in Ayreton.  However, it might be a nice start.

        And, here's another idea.  We could say it was from the 6 local groups that currently make up Ayreton if people are uncomfortable with the proto-incipent Barony part of it.

        Just a thought (I hope it made sense, I haven't taken any of the drugs since last night, but I still find myself somewhat groggy).

        Acelina

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
          Just a 'bump' as a reminder of this. I will be at the upcoming AAA
          day on April 12th.

          In Service,
          Henry of Exeter

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "scribesquire" <Scribesquire@...>
          wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >
          > I think it would be great for our proto incipient barony to
          give
          > gifts for coronation and as such I will be collecting anything
          folks
          > want to donate. I will be at the Ayreton event (of course) as
          well as
          > most all of the Ayreton fighter practices (Sunday's at Ida Noyes).
          If
          > you have something you want to donate and cannot make any of these
          > places, let me know and I will make arrangements to pick up from
          you.

          > If you are not sure what is appropriate for gifts, please
          check
          > thier Highnesses pages (accessed from the Midrealm site). If you
          still
          > have some questions, please feel free to contact me off list at
          > Scribesquire (at) comcast (dot) net.
          >
          > We can give the gifts during coronation court so be prepared
          to go
          > up as a group if you are going to be there (April 26 in Lexington
          Ky).