Re: [Ayreton] Coronation gifts

  • Fern
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008
      Scrollcases make excellent gifts for Royalty! They are large, pretty, and immediately useful!

      Lots of other things are good gifts, too, especially things that the Royalty can then give away as largess. (Chocolate chip cookies come to mind, for example.)

      Fern

      scribesquire <Scribesquire@...> wrote:
      Greetings!

      I think it would be great for our proto incipient barony to give
      gifts for coronation and as such I will be collecting anything folks
      want to donate. I will be at the Ayreton event (of course) as well as
      most all of the Ayreton fighter practices (Sunday's at Ida Noyes). If
      you have something you want to donate and cannot make any of these
      places, let me know and I will make arrangements to pick up from you.

      If you are not sure what is appropriate for gifts, please check
      thier Highnesses pages (accessed from the Midrealm site). If you still
      have some questions, please feel free to contact me off list at
      Scribesquire (at) comcast (dot) net.

      We can give the gifts during coronation court so be prepared to go
      up as a group if you are going to be there (April 26 in Lexington Ky).

      In Service,
      Henry of Exeter

    • Tom Scrip
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008
        I have the glass cups that she ordered at 12th night ready. if they
        survived the anealer.

        Aethelwulf

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "scribesquire" <Scribesquire@...>

      • spdesroches@att.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008

          Greetings

               I am working on pewter coins as commissioned by Her Highness bearing the Their devices. They'll be ready by Coronation.

          Etienne

          -------------- Original message from "Tom Scrip" <tomscrip@...>: --------------

          wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >
          > I think it would be great for our proto incipient barony to
          give
          > gifts for coronation and as such I will be collecting anything
          folks
          > want to donate. I will be at the Ayreton event (of course) as
          well as
          > most all of the Ayreton fighter practices (Sunday's at Ida Noyes).
          If
          > you have something you want to donate and cannot make any of these
          > places, let me know and I will make arrangements to pick up from
          you.

          > If you are not sure what is appropriate for gifts, please
          check
          > thier Highnesses pages (accessed from the Midrealm site). If you
          still
          > have some questions, please feel fre e to contact me off list at
          > Scribesquire (at) comcast (dot) net.
          >
          > We can give the gifts during coronation court so be prepared
          to go
          > up as a group if you are going to be there (April 26 in Lexington
          Ky).

          > In Service,
          > Henry of Exeter

        • Patricia E. Chadwick
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008

            Speaking as the former Lincoln Signet and one who can not sew…Scroll Cases are a wonderful idea!!!!  It’s a great to protect a scroll and a neat way to show it off.

            Just my humble two cents worth.

            -Akiko

          • Scribesquire@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
              Yes! And I believe we will have the supplies at the Ayreton Carnivale to be making scroll cases.

              Henry

              From: Fern <fern1445-tgs@...>
              > Scrollcases make excellent gifts for Royalty! They are large, pretty, and
              > immediately useful!
              >
              > Lots of other things are good gifts, too, especially things that the Royalty
              > can then give away as largess. (Chocolate chip cookies come to mind, for
              > example.)
              >
              > Fern
              >
              > scribesquire <Scribesquire@...> wrote:
              > Greetings!
              >
              > I think it would be great for our proto incipient barony to give
              > gifts for coronation and as such I will be collecting anything folks
              > want to donate. I will be at the Ayreton event (of course) as well as
              > most all of the Ayreton fighter practices (Sunday's at Ida Noyes). If
              > you have something you want to donate and cannot make any of these
              > places, let me know and I will make arrangements to pick up from you.
              >
              > If you are not sure what is appropriate for gifts, please check
              > thier Highnesses pages (accessed from the Midrealm site). If you still
              > have some questions, please feel free to contact me off list at
              > Scribesquire (at) comcast (dot) net.
              >
              > We can give the gifts during coronation court so be prepared to go
              > up as a group if you are going to be there (April 26 in Lexington Ky).
              >
              > In Service,
              > Henry of Exeter

            • Wendy Pastrick
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                Actually, THL Jocelyn was hoping to have space for a good portion of the day at Carnival where people could drop in and help make scroll cases. Assuming we have found space for her and some other scribal things that came through the pipe, this activity should be happening!

                In service,
                Jale

                From: Fern <fern1445-tgs@ yahoo.com>

                -----Inline Message Follows-----

[...]

              • Christian Fournier
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Hi, all-- I just wanted to weigh in with my thoughts, as well.

                  I was a little hesitant, at first, with the idea of lavishing gifts
                  upon Lutr and Tessa from the proto-incipient Barony, only because (so
                  far as I know), neither the local groups nor Ayreton have a tradition
                  of personal Coronation gifts to the Crown, and I'd hate for there to
                  be even the appearance of pandering to the Crown.

                  That said, I'm all in favor of starting that tradition of Coronation
                  gifts, and I think that scroll cases are an excellent idea (in part
                  because we DO have a history of giving lots and lots of scroll cases
                  to the Crown). I'd also love to see us start offering other things
                  that the Crown can use (especially in the war effort, but you know,
                  that's sort of a thing for me...) like the children's activities bags
                  that Her Highness suggests on Their website, or favors that Their
                  Highnesses can give to Their allies at Pennsic.

                  I also think it's great that Ettiene is doing coins for them--
                  congratulations on getting that commission-- and I think that he (and
                  any individual who helps him) should have all the credit for that.

                  So, to sum up what I'm saying here, I think it's great for
                  individuals to give gifts to their Crown, and I'm in no way telling
                  any individual that they shouldn't. I'd love to see us as a group
                  give gifts to the Kingdom, but at this particular moment, I'm
                  hesitant to see us as a group give gifts to Lutr and Tessa, only
                  because I want to avoid any appearance that we're trying to "buy
                  their favor".

                  Thanks for listening,
                  Christian
                • Tom Scrip
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
                    JOKE JOKE JOKE !!!!!!

                    But, But, Pandering and Buying favor is period!!!!!

                    JOKE JOKE JOKE !!!!!!

                    Aethelwulf

                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, all-- I just wanted to weigh in with my thoughts, as well.
                    >
                    > I was a little hesitant, at first, with the idea of lavishing
                    gifts
                    > upon Lutr and Tessa from the proto-incipient Barony, only because
                    (so
                    > far as I know), neither the local groups nor Ayreton have a
                    tradition
                    > of personal Coronation gifts to the Crown, and I'd hate for there
                    > be even the appearance of pandering to the Crown.
                    >
                    > snip

                    I want to avoid any appearance that we're trying to "buy
                    > their favor".
                    >
                    > Thanks for listening,
                    > Christian

                  • Earik MacSkellie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
                      Her Highness told me that They are planning on hosting Mead Halls during the major summer camping events, and to further that endeavor, would like Mead. I am calling upon all the Ayreton Brewers to donate what they can to the cause. I will be donating 5 gal. of "Exchequer's Gold" - a vanilla metheglin, less a bottle I promised Ghita ages ago. I would like to dothe meads as a separate gift from the brewing guild and not the proto-thingie.

                      --
                      Ld. Earik MacSkellie
                      Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly

                      http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/michael.labny%40gmail.com/public/basic
                      http://earikmacskellie.blogspot.com/
                    • Scribesquire@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                        I have been giving Master Christian's words some thought before I replied.   My intention was not to give any undo appearance, pandering or otherwise.  I believed it is a good way to showcase the artisians of our group and to actually START the tradition of giving gifts for every coronation.  I believe the scroll case are a fantastic idea and will be putting some time in helping with that project but I see no reason for that to be the only thing we do, gift wise.

                        Anything we do as a group from here on out can be considered starting a tradition.  I just think this to be a good one to start.  :)

                        Henry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                          Greetings all!!

                          I've been watching this thread, and thought I'd throw my two cents worth in... :-)  having had some experience in the matter under discussion....

                          Lots of groups make presentations and give gifts during a reign.  As do some individuals.
                          It honestly isn't seen as trying to buy favor....  now if someone were to come up and hand over car keys, it might be a different thing.....

                          Some things that are always appreciated and in short supply are scroll blanks and other such items....scroll cases being another good example.  You might check with TRHs Chamberlain once they become TRMs and see what award medallions they are short on at that time (there is a box of tokens and medallions that transfer reign to reign - some are well stocked, some not so much).  I can tell you now that things that can be given with AoA's especially are always in short supply - such as circlets or rings....

                          Things that can be handed out to children are always useful as well.

                          The mead idea is a very good one, especially as they will have need to stock a few mead halls at events.  Gifts to be given at Pennsic would, I'm certain, be appreciated.
                          Just today I spent nearly $200 on gifts to give at Gulf Wars, and that is just to add to the major items we commissioned......and we are going as *visiting* Royals, not as a host.
                          And these are not reimbursable expenses.....just part of the package of being Royalty.

                          The new tradition is to do a gift exchange with only one other Kingdom, and I believe that we and the East exchange, then the Allies get matched up, but even so, when you are trying to attract Allies, it is always good to be able to have gifts to present over the course of the 'courtship' period.  :-)

                          Gift cards for gas are great, as well as for Starbucks or fast food places that are common across the Kingdom.

                          I hope some of these suggestions have helped!!

                          Everyone take care, and I hope to see some of you at Gulf Wars!!
                          Aislinn

                        • Dayle Harding
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008
                            Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  The backache that started right before Stone Dog became a BACKACHE, and my doc put me on muscle relaxers...I was very mellow, but sitting upright was not on the agenda.

                            This ties in nicely with a lengthy conversation I had with Her Highness at Stone Dog.  She is currently working on a "device" for her to give out as tokens of appreciation at War.  She and I talked specifically of the Midrealm Youth Tourney, but as we talked I got the impression that if she has more, she'll use them for others, as well.  With that in mind, now that I'm almost to a point of thinking again (yea, yea, go ahead and make your sarcastic/comic comments now), I will email her about this.  She was thinking of some sort of Viking badge like thing, and the idea was still taking shape.  However, if I can get from her what she wants, I will post to any and all.

                            To give you an idea....the Youth tourney at Pennsic is usually attended by approximately 90-100 fighters in the 4 categories (the three boffer age groups and the youth armored group).  So, this could potentially be a massive project that would eventually incorporate way more than just people in Ayreton.  However, it might be a nice start.

                            And, here's another idea.  We could say it was from the 6 local groups that currently make up Ayreton if people are uncomfortable with the proto-incipent Barony part of it.

                            Just a thought (I hope it made sense, I haven't taken any of the drugs since last night, but I still find myself somewhat groggy).

                            Acelina

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
                              Just a 'bump' as a reminder of this. I will be at the upcoming AAA
                              day on April 12th.

                              In Service,
                              Henry of Exeter