On Openness and Secrecy

  • Christian Fournier
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
      Thanks, Hilla, for your comments and suggestions. I think that we
      could benefit from both a greater certainty that someone's taking
      minutes at any Towne Hall (maybe Da Lord Mayor needs a new Goon?) and
      from clear subject lines indicating when those messages are publicized.

      One thing that you and Andrew and Grimkirk have all raised is the
      desirability of openness in the process. I thought it might be worth
      noting that, at some point, there are limitations to the openness
      that is allowed by Kingdom and Society Law. Now, we're very far from
      reaching those limits, at this point, but there ARE some aspects to
      Baronial Transition (and, indeed, all Society reporting) that are
      required to be kept confidential (including, specifically, the
      results of the Official Poll of the populace, and any personal
      commentary included in any official report).

      I can't speak directly to why the Kingdom and the Society chose to
      require secrecy on certain issues of interest to the Populace, but
      they do. As such, I think it's important to know what we can and
      cannot expect to be given.

      And, like I say, everything we're doing at this point is allowed to
      be done in public, and I think ought to be. I'm just trying to give
      a heads-up, so that nobody is surprised later, when we run into the
      required secrecy that inevitably lies ahead of us.

      Christian
    • Jen Small
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
        Yes, and as the Towne Cryer, I will make a separate file posted in the Yahoo Group with the minutes from any future meetings, so they are easily and quickly accessible.

        I'll see how many of the old ones I can find and post this way.  Look for more posts when I find em.

        --Gianetta, in the official capacity of Towne Cryer

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008

          Hi Gianetta,

          Is it OK to republish, these minutes in our shire newsletter?  I ask for a two fold reason.

          One our Chronicler is always wanting articles. J    This might make for interesting reading and well I’m just trying to help her out with article recruitment.  By the way, if anyone would want to send an article or two for the newsletter.  It would be very welcome!!!  (Note: She has not asked for me to post.  I’m posting independently, just to be nice and help her out.  Speaking as a former chronicler, I recognize that getting material can sometimes be a hard thing to do.)

          Two, I know of at least one of our shire members who does not have electronic communication.  He does get the newsletter and stays informed of our group activities this way.

          Three, it would just promote additional communication for those who do not follow the e-group and there by could be informed of upcoming meetings and happens.  In short, it could get more people in the know.

          Ok so I can’t count but I haven’t had my tea.  Now I need to get back to work.

          Have a great day!

          Akiko