OT : Disease Research - Folding@home

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2008
      Greetings and Salutations unto the populace of Ayreton and to all good
      people to whom these presents may come.

      I ask your indulgance in this posting as it is not at all SCA related
      but it works with an issue that is near and dear to my heart. My
      mother is a now three time survivor of Lung Cancer and is in the very
      early stages of Alzheimers. The folding@home project is working
      toward a solution of these problems.

      For those that have not heard of this project Folding@home is a
      research project started and run by Stanford. Its goal is to
      understand protein folding and misfoldings. Misfoldings lead to
      several diseases including cancers, Alzheimers, Mad Cow Disease,
      Parkinsons and others.

      One of the ways they do this is to parcel out bits of research
      crunching to off site computers. You download the program
      folding@home and it runs in the background taking up very little RAM.
      You can turn it on and off as you desire. Please follow the below
      link for more, and better, information.

      http://folding.stanford.edu/

      Here is their simple explanation of how it works:

      "Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from
      throughout the world download and run software to band together to
      make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer
      takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel
      computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate
      problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved."

      People can and do create teams of computers and "compete" for top
      honors as who does the most work units. I have created a team and
      would be very honored and extremely grateful if you would be willing
      to join it.

      The team number is 104895. The team name is AyretonFriends (no
      spaces).

      I would also be very happy if you would spread the word of
      Folding@home to others you know. If they choose to create their own
      teams that is fine as the research work continues to get done, and now
      we can have some groups to challenge, or challenge us, to put out more
      work units!

      I thank you deeply for you indulgance in this posting.

      Ian the Green, AoA