Re: [Ayreton] Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade

  • Sir Ix
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007
      >Ian the Green and I were watching the Thanksgiving parade when he
      >made the off hand comment, hey the SCA should march in the parade. I
      >talked to Caillech later and she had the same idea and told me, "If
      >we got some people in really fancy garb and some spiffily dressed
      >fighters, the fighters could accompany the ladies showing off their
      >gowns during marching bits, and then the fighters could do pick-
      >up fights during stops."

      Long ago, Iron Steed marched in the very small Christmas parade,
      which was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We did this for five years
      in a row. It was lots of fun and gets you a chance to get word out. I
      recommend that you have people handing out flyers as you march. That
      worked for us.

      It is also a blast to do.

      --
      Sir Ixtilixochitl
      Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

      (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)
    • asackville@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007

        I've marched in the Thanksgiving Day parade before. While it's fun, it can be beastly cold and you really won't be allowed to do pick-up fights at the stops because of safety concerns. You will get a call time and once your whole group checks in, you'll get instructions. They'll line you up at the beginning of the route and then you wait and wait and, oh yeah, wait. When you finally get moving, you're stiff and kinda blue. Or wet, or blue and wet or covered in snow. Lots of smiling and waving and picture taking. Pray for good weather.

        Fionnuala