Re: [Ayreton] Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade

  • Jennifer Cochrane
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007
      My family and I volunteer for the parade every year.  I've done everything from Poo Crew to Balloon Wrangler.  The following is the link to the contact information for Chicago Festival Association, the organization that runs the parade:  http://www.chicagofestivals.org/contactUs.htm.  If you decide to go ahead, you need to contact them soon.  They will begin planning next year's parade as early as next week.

      Oh, and keep in mind, it is a very early morning and can be extremely cold.  It is also a really good time.  Be prepared.

      Jane the Tall

      Technomancer <technomancer90@...> wrote:
      Ian the Green and I were watching the Thanksgiving parade when he made the off hand comment, hey the SCA should march in the parade. I talked to Caillech later and she had the same idea and told me, "If we got some people in really fancy garb and some spiffily dressed fighters, the fighters could accompany the ladies showing off their gowns during marching bits, and then the fighters could do pick-
      up fights during stops."

      This sounds like fun to me! My question is, before Caillech and I get our hearts set on this, is this something people in the area want to do on Thanksgiving day next year?

      In service,

      Gavin Blakwode

    • Scribesquire@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007
        I'd be willing to do it.  I have spiffy armor.  :)

        Henry of Exeter

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007
          >Ian the Green and I were watching the Thanksgiving parade when he
          >made the off hand comment, hey the SCA should march in the parade. I
          >talked to Caillech later and she had the same idea and told me, "If
          >we got some people in really fancy garb and some spiffily dressed
          >fighters, the fighters could accompany the ladies showing off their
          >gowns during marching bits, and then the fighters could do pick-
          >up fights during stops."

          Long ago, Iron Steed marched in the very small Christmas parade,
          which was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We did this for five years
          in a row. It was lots of fun and gets you a chance to get word out. I
          recommend that you have people handing out flyers as you march. That
          worked for us.

          It is also a blast to do.

          --
          Sir Ixtilixochitl
          Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

          (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)
        • asackville@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007

            I've marched in the Thanksgiving Day parade before. While it's fun, it can be beastly cold and you really won't be allowed to do pick-up fights at the stops because of safety concerns. You will get a call time and once your whole group checks in, you'll get instructions. They'll line you up at the beginning of the route and then you wait and wait and, oh yeah, wait. When you finally get moving, you're stiff and kinda blue. Or wet, or blue and wet or covered in snow. Lots of smiling and waving and picture taking. Pray for good weather.

            Fionnuala