Raven/Viking Update

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2007
      Ah, the wonders of the internet. Most of the
      details come from Jørn Løset of Norway. I find it
      amusing that I had to talk to someone from Norway
      to get the skinny on something in Chicago...

      Good Templar Park asked for $52,000 for
      preservation of the ship, and Partners in
      Preservation granted them that amount. Full
      details at
      http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/649347,2_1_AU14_HISTORIC_S1.article

      This is enough for Level 1 preservation
      ("Preservation as it is now, but stop it from
      further rotting, nails from rusting etc."). Level
      2 was to restore "the ship to museum state, but
      not seaworthy. Display it with full original
      equipment.make it museum worthy." Level 3 was to
      restore "the ship back to full seaworthyness,
      with full gear, rig, sail, oars etc. Involves
      changing broken ribs and strakes, new rig etc."

      Jørn notes that Captain Anderson published an
      account of the voyage, etc., in a book published
      in Norway in 1895. It is called _Vikingefærden_
      and is in Norwegian' he doesn't know of any
      reprints or translations. he saw a copy in a
      Norwegian library and said it had many photographs.

      The book has information on the journey to New
      Orleans. "The Viking left Chicago around Nov.1st
      and sailed to St. Louis. Date of arrival unknown.
      3 weeks later, ca Nov. 21, they left St. Louis
      and started the Mississippi stage. They arrived
      New Orleans "2 days before Christmas", Dec. 22.
      1893. After that, the ship was "transported" back
      to Chicago. Maybe towed back by another ship, but
      this is not mentioned. The end of story wasn't
      without a bitter taste for capt. Anderson. The
      ship was promised fundings from the norwegian
      goverment, ut they did not receive enough to
      cover the debt. Andersons plan was either to
      donate the ship to the city of Washington, or to
      sail it back to Norway. But in Chicago a group
      of people raised funds to buy the ship to hand it
      over to "The Field Columbian Museum" for further
      exhibition, so it returned to Chicago."

      Jørn 's page is
      http://home.online.no/~joeolavl/viking/viking-kopi-gokstadskipet.htm.
      It starts out in Norwegian, then has an English
      translation. It has several nice photos, including a stereo-opticon view!

      Cheers, Folo