Doomsday Book Demo

  • Dolores Becker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2007
      Sain Bainu!

      The Incipient Shire of Foxvale has arranged to present a demo in conjunction with the Batavia Public Library's celebration of 'The Doomsday Book' by Connie Willis, the 2008 One Book, One Batavia selection.   The demo will take place on Saturday, March 1, 2008 at the Batavia Public Library, in a 47' x 42' meeting room off the foyer.  The room is carpeted, has windows on three sides and comes with a piano and a small kitchen.  Tables, chairs, podia and AV equipment are available.

      Please come join us, and spread the word!  Anyone interested in participating should contact Berngard Solgai, called Moose, at danceswithwords42@..., or stop by the Circulation Desk at the Batavia Public Library and ask for Dori.   If you would like to be part of the demo and can shoot me a quick rundown of what you will be doing, the coordinator for this event at the library's end is doing a writeup, but needs the info by the end of this week (a squeaker, I know - there will be more opportunities for publicity as we get closer to the event, I just figured I throw that out there in case anyone could say yes and what right away).

      For those who may not be familiar with it, 'The Doomsday Book' is a Hugo- and Nebula-award-winning story of a woman from our near future who time-travels for research purposes and gets trapped in the middle of the Black Death. This is a terrific opportunity, not only for exposure for the SCA, but to lend our support to a worthwhile program and to show our appreciation that a genre book is getting the recognition that so often passes over even the most deserving of works that are out of the mainstream.

      Visit the site below for information about Connie Willis's appearance at the library on March 20, 2008 as part of the Books Between Bites program.  Wouldn't it be cool if a few of us showed up in garb for that, as well?

      http://bataviarenaissanceproject.org/pdfs/BooksBitesflyer07-08.pdf

      Living the Code, Serving the Dream

      Solgai