Period Recipe for Bratwurst found

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071101/od_nm/germany_bratwurst_dc_1;_ylt=AvOWlqv87z5dHH6DrPQBVUkE1vAI

      Historian finds oldest recipe for bratwurst

      A hobby historian has discovered the oldest known recipe for German sausage, a list of ingredients for Thuringian bratwurst nearly 600 years old.

      According to the 1432 guidelines, Thuringian sausage makers had to use only the purest, unspoiled meat and were threatened with a fine of 24 pfennigs -- a day's wages -- if they did not, a spokesman for the German Bratwurst Museum said Wednesday.

      Medieval town markets in Germany had committees charged with monitoring the quality of produce. Thuringian bratwursts, which are made of beef and pork, are symbols of Germany's cultural heritage and ubiquitous snacks at football matches.

      Historian Hubert Erzmann, 75, found the ancient recipe, inscribed with pen and ink in a heavy tome of parchment, earlier this year while doing research in an archive in the eastern town of Weimar, museum spokesman Thomas Maeuer said.

      "The discovery shows that there were already consumer protection laws in the Middle Ages," he said.

      The instructions go on display Thursday in the Bratwurst Museum near the eastern city of Erfurt, Thuringia's capital.

    • Christian Fournier
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007

        Historian finds oldest recipe for bratwurst

        But where's the recipe??  I wanna MAKE it!

      • Wolfram von Waldersbach
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          They can't give the recipe because that original piece of bratwurst is still up for sale in a 7/11 somewhere in Germany. Trade secrets and all... ;-)

          Actually, I'd love to know what it is too. Being of German ancestry, and having grown up eating traditional German dishes, I would love to now how similar this 600 year old recipe is to what I used to eat at my maternal grandparents' house.

          Oh well...

          In Service,

          -Wolfram von Waldersbach
          Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles
          Autocrat - Stone Dog Inn V

          To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
          From: cf@...
          Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:17:34 -0500
          Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Period Recipe for Bratwurst found

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
            I believe the recipe goes on display at the stated museum in
            germany. If you speak good enough german you might be able to
            contact them for the recipe...

            Ian

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Wolfram von Waldersbach
            <Wolfram_von_Waldersbach@...> wrote:

            > They can't give the recipe because that original piece of
            bratwurst is still up for sale in a 7/11 somewhere in Germany. Trade
            secrets and all... ;-)

            > Actually, I'd love to know what it is too. Being of German
            ancestry, and having grown up eating traditional German dishes, I
            would love to now how similar this 600 year old recipe is to what I
            used to eat at my maternal grandparents' house.

            > Oh well...
            >
            > In Service,
            >

            > -Wolfram von Waldersbach
            >
            > Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles
            > Autocrat - Stone Dog Inn V
            >

            > To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
            > From: cf@...
            > Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:17:34 -0500
            > Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Period Recipe for Bratwurst found

            > Historian finds oldest recipe for bratwurst
            > But where's the recipe?? I wanna MAKE it!

            > Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live
            OneCare!
            > http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?
            s_cid=wl_hotmailnews