A Rumble From Behind the Bar

  • Andrew Otto
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2007
      Angus blots up a small spot of water next to the tip jar, tosses the towel over his shoulder and says,

      "Th' lands that we live in are vast and varied. But greater than that is the time that The Dragon has graced these lands. More than a score and ten years have passed here since we first heeded the Dragon's voice. During that time, there has been much change, growth, dispute, triumph and sorrow. "

      "I became aware of our Society whilst listening to a woman with long amber hair reciting her songs in my hall. My children were born in The Society and grew up knowing the words "HOLD" and "CLEAR". I opened a tavern here, at my own expense, so we could talk, tell stories, argue, fight, laugh and grumble.

      "Some of my best and closest friends are SCA. My wife and I have nearly been married in the SCA more than five times. In that time I have found that there is a magic in our Society that has kept us as a group together and strong all of these years. "

      "But over time, people have had disagreements, and felt real or imagined slights. By and large we tell people to "take" those wounds in the name of chivalry, honor and the greater good. In time, we believe that wounds will heal and feelings will mend."

      "I fear that time alone does not heal all wounds. In fact, wounds not allowed to see the light of day tend to fester and cause ill to the entire body. We are not perfect courtiers, but people with or foibles and our stubborn ways and our not-always-clear perceptions. We need to acknowledge our history and the emotions that come with it, We also need to realize that it is very difficult leave emotion out of our debates. Frankly we need a place to air out our "dirty laundry"..

      To this end, I offer up Frasers Oak as a place for venting, ranting, asking hard questions, and, hopefully, reconciling. Soap boxes will be available next to the fireplace for anyone that cares to use one. Keeping in persona whilst posting might be a way of helping provide distance between people. It is highly recommended but not required."

      "So please accept my hospitality and join me at The Oak. Tell us some stories of why people do not play together, of the founding of the groups here. Speak or sing of the feuds and fights.Snarkyness, outbursts, smug dismissals, and other such devices are welcomed in the conversation and, hell, they're period. Slander, libel and direct threats of harm will disappear as soon as I see them."

      "Think of this as a "Truth and Reconciliation" forum. If we can honestly say that we are angry or hurt, perhaps someone can tend the wound with a kind word or an apology."

      -*Angus*-

      -*Andy*-

    • Andrew Otto
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2007
        Angus, with a huge grin that only a Scottsman seeing a huge bargain can have bellows:

        The Rockler Woodworking store in Tinley Park is going out of business.
        All of the lumber, exotic hardwoods, and turning blanks are 50% off.
        Knobs and pull are 50%off
        Power tools are 20% off.
        Everything else is 25% off

        Stuff is going fast!