A few musings...

  • John Adams
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2007
      I was ruminating over the events on this list of the past few days on the phone with my lady this morning, and we found ourselves musing over a few notions that perhaps we (myself included) could bear to be mindful of:

      Truths are subjective. Accurate facts are immutable.
      Your phone number is a fact. Your address is a fact.
      Whether a glass is half empty or half full is a personal truth.
      Because truths are subjective,
      your truth and my truth may co-exist in the same time.
      How correct anyone's truth may be is of course
      predicated on the accuracy of the facts that are
      presumed to support it.
      Ergo, some people's truths can/may be proven to
      be more accurate than another's.
      (This is where the breakdowns occur, I suspect).
      Nobody likes their truths disproven, is probably a fact. :)
      It disupts their world, and makes them feel like they
      didn't do their homework. This is no doubt where passions
      frequently erupt.
      That the ability to divine between falsehood and honesty is
      a highly refined art, is a truth.
      That few have actually mastered it, is a fact. :)

      Unfortunately, I find that snarky remarks often evolve within exchanges when a participant either thinks they're not being heard, or thinks someone isn't being honest with them (or themselves). This is my personal truth, and might be useful when parsing my posts. Also, I observe the latter happens far more frequently than the former, especially when someone's motives are suspect.

      So, some material that drives my particular 'truth':
      That SCA groups were expected to be no less than 1 hour
      apart, drove the approximate 60-mile rule, is a fact.
      (It is a product of general speed limits being 55 MPH).
      That groups in Chicago were permitted to be closer than 60
      miles apart was principally for temporal reasons, is a fact.
      (Source: I re-wrote a local groups societal boundaries when I was
      its Seneschal, at the direction of Kingdom).
      That the Chicago lakeshore is (hopefully) not ever going to
      be any closer to Aurora, IL or Elgin, IL is a fact.
      The minimum time it takes to travel from the far western edges
      of any proposed Barony to the far eastern edge will be predicated
      upon maximum speed limits, Chicagoland traffic patterns,
      which Construction season it is, and the possible creation of
      new roads. This particular fact cannot be altered, except through
      the use of higher math functions.
      The groups of Chicagoland already play (relatively) well together,
      maintain their own officers and finances, hold events together as
      well as separately, and trade personnel like chess pieces.
      The creation of a Barony (Shell, or otherwise) will not alter these facts.
      Everything else is, of course, subjective.

      As always, your mileage may vary, depending upon the fuel you use. Personally, I prefer (my) truth, mixed with honesty, treated with indisputably higher octane facts. ;)

      -- Grimkirk

      that gives answers, not web links.
    • Jen Small
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007

        You want an early period movie to go dress up at?  Found!  November 16:

      • Veronica Berglind
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2007
          Yeah, this looks like fun!  Incidentally, according to the New Castle News, a camera crew was filming at Pennsic for inclusion of a bit on the SCA in the special features on the DVD of Beowulf.

          Isabel of Kenniston

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Dayle Harding
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2007
            Actually, it was a fairly extensive amount of filming at Pennsic for this DVD.  Apparently, when the "real" actors were being costumed and armored up, HBO went to the people making the stuff and asked where they learned their crafts.  Enough of them said "the SCA" that HBO decided to investigate the SCA (in a good way).  The crews were polite, and were very careful about our rules for filming youth (they spent quite a bit of time on the youth lists).

            We'll see how much of that filming actually makes it to the DVD.

            Acelina

            Yeah, this looks like fun!  Incidentally, according to the New Castle News, a camera crew was filming at Pennsic for inclusion of a bit on the SCA in the special features on the DVD of Beowulf.

            Isabel of Kenniston

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • KCMalone3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2007
              >Incidentally, according to the New Castle News, a camera crew was filming at >Pennsic for inclusion of a bit on the SCA in the special features on the DVD of >Beowulf.

              >Isabel of Kenniston

              I had forgotten about the filming.  I didnt know that this was the movie though (unless there was more than one film crew).  I know they filmed some of my kids fighting for it.  Since their dad was on the list field, I am not sure who actually was filmed as they had to have parental signatures, I believe, to shoot the kids.  ( of course my husband tried to pay them to shoot the kids!)

              Anna

              See what's new at http://www.aol.com