Heat alert

  • Tedesco da Venezia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2006
      This Sunday's fighter practices, both at Grey Gargoyles and Ravenslake, are going to take place in upper-90-degree temperatures with heat indices well over 100.  Drink plenty of water, take frequent breaks, and don't over-do it.  I know this is war season, but you won't be doing our army any good if you over-exert yourself at practice.

      Know how to deal with heat sickness:  If you or someone else feels dizzy, confused, nauseated, face gets extremely red or flushed, or (god forbid) stops sweating, you're dealing with heat sickness (heat exhaustion or heat stroke) and can potentially be serious.  Get the person to a cool area--indoors with AC is best, but at least get them in the shade.  Remove armor and heavy clothing to promote heat loss, and apply cool wet towels.  (Ice or very cold water can actually produce hypothermia, an equally dangerous situation!)  Full heat stroke is a medical emergency and requires hospitalization.  Do not hesitate to call an ambulance or get the victim to a hospital if they are showing serious symptoms, i.e. bluish skin, feeling chilled, trembling, high fever, convulsions, vomiting, and obviously unconsciousness.

      Although Grey Gargoyles will be providing water coolers (and I presume Ravenslake does the same), bringing your own gatorade IS better.

      ~Tedesco da Venezia~