Re: [Ayreton] Greetings Good Citizens

  • John Adams
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007
      Lord Mayor,

      In keeping with your obvious desire to protect the (questionably) innocent, I shall follow in your footsteps.

      I have reviewed what I suspect to be the post in question, and I fear that I find your decision questionable. In fact, I can find nothing in this Gentle Person #1's (the 'offender') reply to Gentle Person #2 (the 'offended') or any other posts this day which could be interpreted as 'false statements'.

      Gentle Person #2 indeed presumed upon the content of a posting regarding the results of the TGS poll, inferring that it reflected the opinion of the entire populace, which Gentle Person #1 rightly corrected. This observation was summarily seconded by myself, but only because Gentle Person #1's post arrived before my own.

      In his second paragraph, Gentle Person #1 only expressed well known facts.

      In his third paragraph, Gentle Person #1 then gave two well founded suggestions, and expressed an opinion based upon his own prior observation (as opinions go, your mileage may vary), and subsequently compared Gentle Person #2's current remarks to those previously observed. Certainly, opinions are not worthy of removing his privilege? And just because someone claims to be 'attacked' does not inherantly make it so.

      Few if any know better than I that Gentle Person #1 can be a contentious creature, and you may not like his tone. And I venture it safe to say that at some point while discussing these subjects, you will probably not care for mine either. However, it is you (and perhaps your associates) who have chosen to make this a forum for the discussion of what will invariably be found, long before its demise, a subject of great difference, one borne by those who are strong in thought and opinion. Clearly, to be perceived objective, you can ill afford to be 'thin skinned' about what is or is not 'civil', 'destructive' or 'ill-considered' now. Simply claiming that you are objective will not suffice, as you have an equally public opinion on the subject and are in control of this venue. To remove anyone's voice at this time, especially a vocal dissentor, will smack of censorship whether it is in fact, or not, and can guarantee you with relative certainty, that it will weigh heavily against your own espoused goals when an official accounting is made.

      While I am impressed that Gentle Person #2 saw fit to recuse himself as a moderator in this matter, I respectfully (and publicly) recommend you reconsider your decision.

      In Service,

      Lord Grimkirk ap Greymoor
      Province of Tre-Girt-Sea

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007
        The true issue lies not just in todays comments but other posts and
        comments on this list specifically made by the gentle in question.
        Said gentle was warned about putting more thought and care into his
        posts previously and has failed to do so. I too found the post in
        question as put forth in a very rude and infamitory way. To get his
        point across he simply need say.

        I disagree reguarding the polling since not all the populace has been
        polled as of yet just those that attended said meet.

        instead said gentle decided to use certain phrases and by the end of
        his email it came across more as a personal attack rather then stating
        a well thought out oppinion.

        I've hope that everyone as always will think carefully what they are
        putting out on the list and be sure to read before you post. I've
        more then once written a post then deleted it and started over because
        my tone could be taken the wrong way. As always in a public forum I
        encourage everyone to act like an adult and remember that you are
        responsible for your own actions.

        Said gentle should still be able to read this list and stay informed
        as to the goings on in the area he will just be unable to post for 90
        days. After the suspension he can post again and I'd like to believe
        will learn to give more care to how his words affect others arround
        him and will be a much better person for the experiance.

        Cheers
        Moira O'Dorran

        P.S. The Barony of Rivenstar has been really great to me so far and I
        miss everyone up in chicago. I hope to come up for a practice and
        visit you guys soon. :)