Re: [Ayreton] Greetings Good Citizens

  • Rob Hicks
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007
      You Rock!

      spdesroches@... wrote:
      Grreetings Good Citizens

           As it has been stated here in the past, the purpose of this private list is to further greater cooperation and communication between the various groups in Chicagoland. Mature and constructive exchanges of opinion and  useful information is its sole purpose. Destructive and ill-considered posts are counter to its purpose. It with some concern that I have viewed this day's postings. The various opinions stated contained many valid points, and have for the most part, been constructively put forth by the members of this list. However one post today has contained an untrue accusation of falsehood. It is with regret that I have asked the moderators to put the person who made this statement on a non-posting status. This action has been taken because the individual in question has repeatedly made inflammatory statements here, and has previously been put in this status a number of times. Should this individual, after 90 days of suspension, wish to post a public apology for this disgression, their ability to make posts here will be re-considered. I do not take this action lightly, or out of any personal ill-will, but of the need to maintain the civility of this forum.

      In Service to the Realm and Ayreton
      THL Etienne le Couteau des Roches
      Ayreton Lord Mayor

      Building a website is a piece of cake.

    • jeffnaggie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007
        Dunstan!!!!!!   Email me personnaly please!!!

        Jeffnaggie@...

        Thanks,

        Hillary

      • spdesroches@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007

          Thank You!

          Will you be at the Foxvale event this Saturday?

          Etienne

          -------------- Original message from Rob Hicks <darclan28@...>: --------------

          You Rock!

          spdesroches@ att.net wrote:

[...]

        • John Adams
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007
            Lord Mayor,

            In keeping with your obvious desire to protect the (questionably) innocent, I shall follow in your footsteps.

            I have reviewed what I suspect to be the post in question, and I fear that I find your decision questionable. In fact, I can find nothing in this Gentle Person #1's (the 'offender') reply to Gentle Person #2 (the 'offended') or any other posts this day which could be interpreted as 'false statements'.

            Gentle Person #2 indeed presumed upon the content of a posting regarding the results of the TGS poll, inferring that it reflected the opinion of the entire populace, which Gentle Person #1 rightly corrected. This observation was summarily seconded by myself, but only because Gentle Person #1's post arrived before my own.

            In his second paragraph, Gentle Person #1 only expressed well known facts.

            In his third paragraph, Gentle Person #1 then gave two well founded suggestions, and expressed an opinion based upon his own prior observation (as opinions go, your mileage may vary), and subsequently compared Gentle Person #2's current remarks to those previously observed. Certainly, opinions are not worthy of removing his privilege? And just because someone claims to be 'attacked' does not inherantly make it so.

            Few if any know better than I that Gentle Person #1 can be a contentious creature, and you may not like his tone. And I venture it safe to say that at some point while discussing these subjects, you will probably not care for mine either. However, it is you (and perhaps your associates) who have chosen to make this a forum for the discussion of what will invariably be found, long before its demise, a subject of great difference, one borne by those who are strong in thought and opinion. Clearly, to be perceived objective, you can ill afford to be 'thin skinned' about what is or is not 'civil', 'destructive' or 'ill-considered' now. Simply claiming that you are objective will not suffice, as you have an equally public opinion on the subject and are in control of this venue. To remove anyone's voice at this time, especially a vocal dissentor, will smack of censorship whether it is in fact, or not, and can guarantee you with relative certainty, that it will weigh heavily against your own espoused goals when an official accounting is made.

            While I am impressed that Gentle Person #2 saw fit to recuse himself as a moderator in this matter, I respectfully (and publicly) recommend you reconsider your decision.

            In Service,

            Lord Grimkirk ap Greymoor
            Province of Tre-Girt-Sea

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2007
              The true issue lies not just in todays comments but other posts and
              comments on this list specifically made by the gentle in question.
              Said gentle was warned about putting more thought and care into his
              posts previously and has failed to do so. I too found the post in
              question as put forth in a very rude and infamitory way. To get his
              point across he simply need say.

              I disagree reguarding the polling since not all the populace has been
              polled as of yet just those that attended said meet.

              instead said gentle decided to use certain phrases and by the end of
              his email it came across more as a personal attack rather then stating
              a well thought out oppinion.

              I've hope that everyone as always will think carefully what they are
              putting out on the list and be sure to read before you post. I've
              more then once written a post then deleted it and started over because
              my tone could be taken the wrong way. As always in a public forum I
              encourage everyone to act like an adult and remember that you are
              responsible for your own actions.

              Said gentle should still be able to read this list and stay informed
              as to the goings on in the area he will just be unable to post for 90
              days. After the suspension he can post again and I'd like to believe
              will learn to give more care to how his words affect others arround
              him and will be a much better person for the experiance.

              Cheers
              Moira O'Dorran

              P.S. The Barony of Rivenstar has been really great to me so far and I
              miss everyone up in chicago. I hope to come up for a practice and
              visit you guys soon. :)