Major construction on the Dan Ryan

  • Christopher Todesco
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20 2:29 PM
      The Dan Ryan expressway, the stretch of I-94 between the I-57 junction and the I-290 junction, and a previously recommended route to get to Grey Gargoyles, is now under major construction and should be avoided like the plague for the rest of the year, and probably well into the next.  Multiple lanes of the Dan Ryan will be closed at a time, and ramps for it will also be closed on occasion, include those to and from I-55.  The Illinois Department of Transportation has recommended drivers of passenger vehicles should avoid the Dan Ryan entirely.  More information about the construction can be found here ( http://www.danryanexpressway.com/).

      Here are the new recommended ways to get to any meeting or event at Grey Gargoyles:

      From the Southwest, from I-55: Take the Stevenson Expressway (I-55) to Lake Shore Drive South.  Turn right on 57th Dr.  Follow this road around the front of the museum, and turn right on 57th St.  Immediately turn left on Stoney Island Ave.  Turn right on 59th St.  Past 3 blocks, after Kimbark Ave, Ida Noyes Hall will be on your right.

      From the West, from I-290, or from the North via I-90/94: Take either Congress Parkway to Columbus Dr and turn right (which will ramp into Lake Shore Drive), or take 90/94 south to Roosevelt Rd, turn left, and take that to Lake Shore Drive, turn right.  Take that to 57th Dr, and follow the directions above.

      From Indiana, via the Skyway: Take the Indiana Toll Road to the Chicago Skyway.  Once in Illinois, exit Stoney Island Ave North.  Stay on Stoney Island Ave, do not follow the "To Lake Shore Drive" route that splits off around 68th St.  Take that to 59th St, turn left, and follow the directions above.

      From the South, via I-94: From I-94 Exit Stoney Island Ave/103rd St, staying on the Stony Island Extension.  Follow the directions above for those coming from the Skyway.

      From the South via I-57: From I-57 exit Halsted South and turn left on 103rd St.  Take this to the Stony Island Extension headed north.  Follow the directions above for those coming from the Skyway.

      **WARNING FOR TRUCK OR TRAILER DRIVERS**:  Trucks (including pickup trucks with non-passenger vehicle plates) and any vehicle towing a trailer is not allowed on Lake Shore Drive south of 31st St.--- even during the construction, and Chicago police WILL AND DO ticket drivers for violating this.  If you are coming from the West or North, you will have to exit Lake Shore Drive at 31st St. and turn left on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. heading south (or exit directly onto it from I-55) towards Hyde Park, then turn left on 51st St., which becomes Hyde Park Blvd.  Turn right on Woodlawn Ave.  Turn left on 57th St.  Turn Right on Kimbark Ave, and take that to 59th St.  (I've also HEARD that trucks are not allowed on Garfield Blvd. or Midway Plaisance Dr., but that's never been confirmed.)  Trucks and trailers from the south can follow any of the Stony Island Ave routes.

      Parking:  Park on 59th St in front of Ida Noyes Hall, or turn right on Woodlawn Ave, right on 57th St, and right on Kimbark Ave and park in any of the diagonal spaces that are labeled "Lab Parking Only".  We've checked with the university, we can park in these spots on the weekends.  You can also park on any of the surrounding streets, including the north and south sides of Midway Plaisance Dr., but do check for Permit Only Parking signs on some of the side streets.