RE: [Ayreton] Musical Instrument

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
      Greetings All,

      Yes, the instrument I was playing is called a bowed psaltery.
      I got in from Unicorn Strings:
      http://unicornstrings.com/

      According to further research I and others have done, it is not in fact a
      bowed psaltery, which was 'invented' in the 1930's, and has an arched bridge
      like a violin, but a bowed zither.
      As such it is a period instrument, played with one bow, it is played in a
      period manner.

      I'm sure, if they could have figured out how to hold the instrument, they
      would have played with 2 bows.

      I am planning to be at Fox Hunt again this year, and I will have my
      'psaltery' with me.
      If you would like to have a lesson on how to play, just ask.

      Kyla Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands,
      Middle Kingdom