Re: [Ayreton] Musical Instrument

  • Cerian Cantwr
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
      Sounds like a bowed psaltery.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowed_psaltery

      Cerian

      ladyscribe07 wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > Last event in Foxvale I saw a gentle play an instrument with two
      > little bow like sticks. Looked like a dulcimer was but was not. She
      > told me what it was but I forgot what she called it. I would like to
      > know.
      >
      > She said it is very easy to play. I would like this gentle to get in
      > touch with me and give me some info on it and a possible website.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Lady Eleanor (smile)
    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
        Greetings All,

        Yes, the instrument I was playing is called a bowed psaltery.
        I got in from Unicorn Strings:
        http://unicornstrings.com/

        According to further research I and others have done, it is not in fact a
        bowed psaltery, which was 'invented' in the 1930's, and has an arched bridge
        like a violin, but a bowed zither.
        As such it is a period instrument, played with one bow, it is played in a
        period manner.

        I'm sure, if they could have figured out how to hold the instrument, they
        would have played with 2 bows.

        I am planning to be at Fox Hunt again this year, and I will have my
        'psaltery' with me.
        If you would like to have a lesson on how to play, just ask.

        Kyla Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands,
        Middle Kingdom

        Last event in Foxvale I saw a gentle play an instrument with two
        little bow like sticks. Looked like a dulcimer was but was not. She
        told me what it was but I forgot what she called it. I would like to
        know.

        She said it is very easy to play. I would like this gentle to get in
        touch with me and give me some info on it and a possible website.

        Thanks,

        Lady Eleanor (smile)

        ~~~~~

        To view and add events to the calendar: