Re: [Ayreton] Semantics - how mundane

  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 2007
      Well said!

      Hillary of Langeforde

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Earik MacSkellie <erickmaxskelly@...>
      To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 6:28 pm
      Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Semantics - how mundane

      The driving force behind pc-ing up the SCA is the lack of new members and growth. This may be a hobby for 99.9% of us, but the SCA is a corporation. Like other corporations, it wants to see growth through new members. It would be a shame to lose somebody because they took offense to terminology we take for granted. There is a culture difference we need to overcome to bring new people in.

      The context from the chatelaine's meeting (and this is second hand, since I wasn't in attendance) is for media contact. Use what terminology you want, but remember the media is a great recruiting tool. That being said, the media will also skew their stories to fit their agenda. Don't give them ammo to slam us.

      On 8/22/07, John Railing <malkinius@...> wrote:
      Greetings all.....

      Political Correctness is not period. It won't be invented for more
      than 350 years after the SCA cut off date. Hurting the feelings of
      and calling other groups various insulting names is perfectly period.
      It extends from before SCA period to well afterwards. Therefore call
      whoever you want whatever you want. However, in good period fashion,
      be prepared to defend your words with your body. <grins>

      I, for one, will call the mundanes mundane, as I have been doing for 30 years.

      Now...back to your mundane world and 'modern' forms of communication.

      Be well all....

      John Malkin aMalkin

      --
      John Railing aka Malkin
      1041 Nerge Rd., Apt. 104 * Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * 812-320-1447

      --
      Ld. Earik MacSkellie
      Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly

      http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/michael.labny%40gmail.com/public/basic