Re: [Ayreton] Semantics - how mundane

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
      Some years ago, the Powers-That-Be declared the term "mundane" anathema. we
      all saw how well that worked, didn't we? Apparently, they want to do away
      with "newbie" as well. And perhaps other words that are contentious as
      well. But "mundane" and "newbie" are, I think, not going to roll over so
      easily. they're too useful. The term "mundane" may be misused, but any term
      that is pushed can be infused with the same negative perception ("Oh, he's
      just a modern..." Oh dear, we mustn't use modern because it can be
      derogatory), and newbie is a term used in many many contexts besides the
      SCA and, in fact, has been often used by the newbie himself to describe
      himself. I woner if a couple decades from now, there will be another
      movement to remove these derogatory terms?

      AFAIC, they would be better served with an educational program that teaches
      fp;l not to use the terms in an insulting. derogatory manner. But that
      makes too much sense and might be too hard. get rid of them altogether, and
      life will be perfect!

      At Pennsic this year, a countess asked me why I never wrote for anything
      official. I don't like being told what I can and cannot write, I say. "Oh,
      we never do that anymore," she said, while in the next breath noted that
      newbie and mundane was banned in official publications. Um...

      Cheers, Folo (who has his own dislikes: autocrat and, to a less extent,
      troll, but not because they insult people)
    • Drew
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
        As I recall, they tried to do away with "Autocrat", "Feastocrat", "Troll",
        etc. That's also had very mixed success.

        --
        Qui Tacet Consentit

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
          >As I recall, they tried to do away with "Autocrat", "Feastocrat", "Troll",
          >etc. That's also had very mixed success.

          No. *I* tried to get rid of the crat abominations, but like the Christians
          in eleventh century Scandinavia, some heathens have backslid. I remain
          confident that everyone in the SCA will come to their senses and subscribe
          to the One True Faith in time :) But then I tried to substitute term that
          described the same thing but, unfortunately just weren't as cute. "Mundane"
          isn't cute, but nothing else conveys the same meaning!

          Personally, I prefer the term "farb," but its meaning is not the same as
          "mundane."

          Cheers, Folo
        • John Railing
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
            Greetings Folo....

            > >As I recall, they tried to do away with "Autocrat", "Feastocrat", "Troll",
            >>etc. That's also had very mixed success.
            >
            >No. *I* tried to get rid of the crat abominations, but like the Christians
            >in eleventh century Scandinavia, some heathens have backslid. I remain
            >confident that everyone in the SCA will come to their senses and subscribe
            >to the One True Faith in time :) But then I tried to substitute term that
            >described the same thing but, unfortunately just weren't as cute. "Mundane"
            >isn't cute, but nothing else conveys the same meaning!

            Actually....there is another word that says the same thing, but we
            really don't want to use that term in this context. It would cause
            too many problems because of its associations with other groups.

            >Personally, I prefer the term "farb," but its meaning is not the same as
            >"mundane."

            I thought "farb" only referred to faux garb? I.e., looks sorta period
            but isn't.

            >Cheers, Folo

            Be well......

            John Malkin aMalkin

            --
            John Railing aka Malkin
            1041 Nerge Rd., Apt. 104 * Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * 812-320-1447
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 23, 2007
              Well said!

              Hillary of Langeforde