Seminars at the Newberry Library

  • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16 8:25 PM
      I know the Newberry isn't the most convenient location for a lot of people, but... I recently received a catalog of public programs for Fall, 2007. Some are free, some have a cost involved, many look interesting. In particular...<http://www.newberry.org/programs/SemFall2007.html#newberry>

      [...snip...]

      Constructing a Medieval Book: Book Making and Manuscripts in the Middle Ages

      November 3

      10:00 am -- Noon

      Register Online (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express accepted)

      This seminar will be a brief, hands-on introduction to the art and
      craft of making a medieval book. We will consider what materials went
      into the production of a book, how they were selected and by whom, and
      we will look at how a book's design and production were closely tied to
      its use and content in ways that differ greatly from book production
      today. Come get an up-close view of some of the Newberry's most
      beautiful and interesting medieval manuscripts, and learn how they were
      made along the way.

      Megan Moore is the Assistant Director of the Center for Renaissance Studies at The Newberry Library.

      Tree-Girt-Sea, Midrealm (Chicago, IL USA)
      http://robyyan.googlepages.com
    • Dolores Becker