Leather work

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2007
      Does anyone know a good source for leather and leather working tools?

      Thanks
    • John Railing
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
        Greetings Chris...

        >Does anyone know a good source for leather and leather working tools?
        >
        >Thanks

        Well....you have your Tandy Leather
        http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ which has a store in Elgin. They
        are the traditional source for SCA people but they do not always have
        the lowest prices.

        Online there is Brettuns Village Leather
        http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/ has some tools and large
        amounts of inexpensive leather. He knows SCA people and the pictures
        on his site are well worth browsing. He also has a newsletter that is
        very funny which he publishes every now and then. Brettuns also has a
        web site for refurbishing old chests or making them.

        For tools and hardware, I have purchased from Sartan's hardware site
        http://www.saroftreve.com/hardware/whindex.shtml. He has good tools
        and prices. He also has a working with leather site that has good
        information about working with leather. You may not be interested in
        the projects he has or some of his other sites, but if you only need
        a few of something and can't get to a retail store, he probably has
        it.

        If you can get to Indianapolis during a weekday or Saturday morning,
        try Landwerlen Leather Co., 365 S. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN
        46225, 317-636-8300. It is across Illinois Street from the Greyhound
        Bus station and just south of the tracks south of Union Station. This
        is what a leather supplier store was like long long ago. They have
        everything from scrap leather by the bin to professional
        leatherworking machines including sewing machines. They cater to shoe
        stores as well as craftsmen. They do not have a web site. This is
        where I have bought most of my leather and some of my tools and
        findings.

        I know there are many other places, especially online, but these are
        the ones I know of or have bought from.

        John Malkin aMalkin

        --
        John Railing aka Malkin
        1041 Nerge Rd., Apt. 104 * Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * 812-320-1447