Re: [Ayreton] Ayreton Event, Symbols and Mayoral Selection

  • spdesroches@att.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2007

      Greetings Good Gentles

      Several days ago there were several postings from some of you concerning my performance of this job, the Lord Mayor of Ayreton. Concerns were voiced that I had exceeded the original intent, that I should be a "figure of unifying schtick" alone. I held myself in reserve to consider all aspects of  the history of the mayors before me and the spirit of the creation by its authors.

           This job is not as easy as it may seem. Since its inception, we have grown as friends. We have seen the benefits of our efforts to play nice together.  I consulted the original charter. I had been priviledged to have been consulted upon  its creation, as at the time I was seneschal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles. I have since been an advisor to some of those who held the office. I have taken council on this matter from the most forthright person I know, my lady wife, who's never afraid to tell me when I err.

           In my travels through the Kingdom, far flung friends have asked me "what the heck is this Ayreton thing?" "What is a Lord Mayor?" I explained that the idea was to promote unity of the various Chicagoland groups, that we were doing much better than in the past at cooperation and coordination thanks in part to the group. Finally that the Lord Mayor was someone WHO HELD NO OFFICIAL STATUS,  but acted as a figurehead for these efforts. Even our present King asked these questions. He seemed pleased at our progress.

           But as we have grown, so has the job. I'm finding that to merely be a parade grand marshall is to shortchange all of you. In introducing questions, I hope to engender necessary discussion and promote the progress we deserve. I enjoy the fun aspects and will certainly continue to offer "official town jobs" and such. I do not seek to usurp power, but to empower all of you. I will not speak just for the interest of one group, but all. Please continue to approach me and ask what is in your hearts.

      In Service to the Midrealm and Ayreton

      THL Etienne le Couteau des Roches

      Lord Mayor

      .