Crown Tourney Finances

  • exit104
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
      Picking up a quill and donning a green eyeshade and arm garters,
      Angus asks:

      I have a couple of places that might be suitable for Crown, but I'd
      need some financial data. If someone has a budget or a pro-forma
      proposal for a Crown Tourney and could post it, that would be nifty.

      1. What would be the expected number of site-fee-paying attendees?

      2. How much is the usual site fee for crown?

      3. What facilities (amount of space, number of those spaces, etc...)
      are needed to put on a good Crown? What is the minimum acceptable?

      4. What amenities/restrictions like wet/dry site, outdoor areas,
      proximity to transportation and so forth would positively/negatively
      effect the amount we could charge for a site?

      5. (extra credit) How much wood could a woodchuck chuck? Assume a
      spherical woodchuck of uniform density/temperature that could chuck
      wood and an idealized unbounded 2x4 (50mm x 100mm). State your answer
      in liters.

      -*Angus*-
    • Kenwrec Wulfe
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
        1. What would be the expected number of site-fee-paying attendees?

        I think that would depend on location. I have heard numbers from 100 to 300.

        2. How much is the usual site fee for crown?

        I have seen fees from 10$ to 25$

        3. What facilities (amount of space, number of those spaces, etc...)
        are needed to put on a good Crown? What is the minimum acceptable?

        Having never put on one, I cannot offer any specific numbers. I think it would, in part, depend on the number of fighters. A Crown list with 14 entrants require much less room than would 36 entrants.

        4. What amenities/restricti ons like wet/dry site, outdoor areas,
        proximity to transportation and so forth would positively/negative ly
        effect the amount we could charge for a site?

        I am sure Wet is much better for ANY site, so for a Crown Tourney, I am sure the same rule applies.

        5. (extra credit) How much wood could a woodchuck chuck? Assume a
        spherical woodchuck of uniform density/temperature that could chuck
        wood and an idealized unbounded 2x4 (50mm x 100mm). State your answer
        in liters.

        African or European?

        Lord Kenwrec Wulfe

        Shire of Ravenslake

        "It is not the oath that gives me faith in the man, but the man that gives me faith in the oath."

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007

          I have a couple of other questions:

          6)  Is Crown usually a camping event?  What proportion of attendees camp as oppose to day trip or hotel?

          7)  What other activities are expected, other than the requisite Tournament?  Related question:  What other activities are desirable?

          If there isn't anyone local who can answer these questions, who is the best person to talk to?  Is there a deputy Seneschal in charge of Crown events?

          --Beatrice

[...]

          Yahoo! News

          Odd News

          You won't believe

          it, but it's true

          Yahoo! TV

          Want the scoop?

          Check out today's

          news and gossip.

          Yahoo! Avatars

          Make a Virtual You

          Show your style &

          mood in Messenger.

          .

        • Metylda
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
            --- kfinegan@... wrote:

            I have a couple of other questions:

            6) Is Crown usually a camping event? What proportion
            of attendees camp as oppose to day trip or hotel?

            -No. Crown is usually a one day affair.

            7) What other activities are expected, other than the
            requisite Tournament? Related question: What other
            activities are desirable?

            -There have in the past been Craftperson faires, AnS
            displays, merchants. Past that, I don't remember.

            If there isn't anyone local who can answer these
            questions, who is the best person to talk to? Is
            there a deputy Seneschal in charge of Crown events?

            -On that, I do not know.

            --Beatrice

            -Metylda

            There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

            *****

            Me þæt wyrd gewæf

          • Drew Nicholson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
              On 7/10/07, kfinegan@... <kfinegan@...> wrote:

              > I have a couple of other questions:
              >
              > 6) Is Crown usually a camping event? What proportion of attendees camp as oppose to day trip or hotel?

              Usually, it's not camping, which means everyone day-trips or goes to a
              hotel -- which, frankly, is another reason to -not- do it at Ida
              Noyes; there are not really any convenient hotels that don't require
              driving through down-town Chicago. It's not a deal-killer, but it's
              something that will push people away -- hotels in down-town Chicago
              cost more than in the burbs, parking is more, food is more, and it's
              not the easiest place to get to. Most Crown Tourney participants like
              to get a good night's sleep, so if they don't live locally, they come
              into town the night before and stay at a hotel.

              > 7) What other activities are expected, other than the requisite Tournament? Related question: What other activities are desirable?

              At a Spring Crown, the Saturday of Memoral Day Weekend has, for years,
              been the day of the Kingdom A&S Competition. Sunday is the actual
              Crown.

              Personally, I believe that there shouldn't be -anything- going on
              while Crown Tournament is happening -- the actual tournament, I mean.
              It's the most important tourney in our Kingdom, it's the way our
              succession happens. However, others may disagree with me.

              www.midrealm.org

              --
              Qui Tacet Consentit
            • Wendy Pastrick
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
                --- kfinegan@... wrote:

                6) Is Crown usually a camping event? What proportion
                of attendees camp as oppose to day trip or hotel?

                Actually, Spring Crown is typically a two day affair
                with Saturday being Kingdom A&S and Sunday being Crown
                Tournament. It's always Memorial Day weekend. I have
                been to sites that were camping (very well attended)
                and sites that required hotel stays (also very well
                attended)

                7) What other activities are expected, other than the
                requisite Tournament? Related question: What other
                activities are desirable?

                See above.

                In service,
                Jale
              • Valerie
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
                  Well there is plenty of time to do more research and look into it.
                  There may also be some other possibilities of Aeyerton getting
                  together to host a royal affair in the near future. However that is
                  still in the research phase so I'll say no more until something more
                  substantial happens.

                  Moira O'Dorran

                • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
                    Greetings!
                         Go to the Kingdom web site, click on the Seneschal page, look for "How to host Crown Tourney".
                    http://www.midrealm.org/seneschal/HostCrown.pdf
                    I suspect many answers may be found here.
                    Is mise le meas,
                    Alexander.