Ayreton Arts Martial Practices

  • Ayreton Towne Cryer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2006
      The Ayreton Fighter Practices

        SUNDAY

      **Grey Gargoyles

       The Ayreton Fighter practice that is held Sundays at the Shire of Grey Gargoyles has been put cancelled due to spring break at the University of Chicago.  This practice will resume April 2, 2006 (AS XXXX)

        This is not the only practice in the Ayreton area.

          TUESDAY PRACTICES

      **Thieves of Heart

        This is currently only a Rapier practice however it is open to heavy fighters as well.  If you are a heavy fighter interested in this practice please contact the Ravenslake Knights Marshall Gintaras at gintarasthetaura@...

        This practice includes 1/2 hour to 1 hour of instruction for rapier at the beginning of the practice.  Marked improvement has been noted for those that attend the practice in their skills.  Everyone is welcome to attend!

        Directions to the Thieves of Heart Practice!!

        Practices are held Tuesday evenings 6:30p to 9p at the
      Glenbrook North High School.  Address: 2300 Shermer Road, Northbrook IL.

        Best way to I - 294 to Willow Road Exit.  Exit
      Willow road to the EAST.  Aprox 1.9 miles to Shermer Road.  Turn Left onto Shermer road.  Follow Shermer 4 blocks to the last driveway into the school and turn left.  Go past the stop sign, turn left into the next parking lot and then turn right behind the tennis courts.  The parking lot will be on your left.  Look for the propped open door to the gym that will be on your left as you enter the parking lot.

      **Foxvale

        The Incipient Shire of Foxvale has practice in
      Aurora, IL from 6p to 9p on Tuesday nights as well.  Here is a link to their events calendar.  Simply click on the link in the calendar to get driving directions.  http://www.foxvale.org/events/php

      WEDNESDAY

      **Archery

      While this practice is not an official SCA archery practice we have been ivited by newcomers to the SCA to come and practice there on Wednesday evenings.  This would be a great way for newcomers to meet "old timers" doing something they both enjoy.

      Every Wednesday evening at about 6:30pm at the Archery Custom Shop in Forest Park. Here's a link: http://www.archerycustomshop.com/index.html We would certainly welcome (and actually encourage) anyone to join us! The cost is only $10.00, which includes a rental bow, 6 arrows, a target, and the range fee.

      If you have your own bow/arrows, the cost is a mere $7.50 (which includes a target and the range fee). If someone is interested in archery and just want to come by and check it out, Heather and I can get them set up and shooting (and having a great time in no time) without having to take a lesson. The people that are regulars to the range are also really kind and genuine - after shooting we all usually go out for a bite at the pub next door to the range. Great camaraderie!

      But, if someone is serious about studying, archery lessons are only $29.00 (again, which includes a rental bow, 6 arrows, target, and range fee as well as the instructor's fee) - both Heather and I study with Ed, who's very patient, detail-oriented, and I believe certified as a Master. Since working with him I'm confident enough to join the competition league there (as I get good shot groupings from 20 yards now). Ed teaches on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and all they'd need to do is call the Archery Custom Shop to set up a time with him...

        TOWNE CRYERS NOTE

      As the Towne Cryer's position has evolved and grown there have been many changes.  There is a new change that is being undertaken as we speak.  There is now an Ayreton Discussion Group that is for making announcements.

      For the next month or so I will be posting on all websites as I regularly do.  Then the month after that I shall simply send out announcements about the Ayreton Discussion Group on the same regular schedule.  After that all announcements to discussion groups will dwindle to about 1 announcement a month unless there is a major or time sensative announcement that needs to be made.

      This does NOT affect any personal e-mailing you will be receiving.  It ONLY affects announcements made to groups.  If you have any questions about this process at all please feel free to contact me.

      The Ayreton Discussion Group already has over 30 members.  Please find it at:

      If anyone else would like any Arts Martial practice announced that takes place in the Ayreton Area please let me know.  I will happily announce it.

      Thank you everyone!

        Ian the Green
        Ayreton Towne Cryer

      Yahoo! Mail
    • Ayreton Towne Cryer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2006
        The Ayreton Fighter Practices

          SUNDAY

          Grey Gargoyles - Spring Break is Over and we are starting back up This Sunday!

          The Province of Tree Girt Sea, Shire of Grey Gargoyles and Shire of Vanished Woods all officially practice at the Grey Gargoyles site every Sunday of the month.  We call this the Ayreton Fighter Practice.  Practices have been starting at 2p.

          Sir Fern will be teaching The Basics of Heavy Fighting class.  This is a class for beginners and a refresher course of basic moves. No armor needed--brand-new people are welcome. We will work on footwork, balance, range, aim and other things that don't require armor.

          This practice is increasingly including a group of people who are doing arts and sciences.  At the last practice Calligraphy was being shown and learned.  We certainly invite all people interested in working on or sharing their Arts and Sciences loves/projects to please come out and do so!

            Directions to the Grey Gargoyles Site

            Be Warned that the Dan Ryan (90/94) Is Subject to construction.  You may wish to take an alternate route.

          Ida Noyes Hall -
        59th Street and Woodlawn Ave., Chicago IL 60637.
        Find the best route to I-90/I-94 in
        South Chicago. Take I-90/I-90 and exit
        at
        Garfield Blvd. (55th St.) Turn east immediately (first light) and
        proceed past 5 stoplights. Cross Martin Luther King drive and enter park.
        At the Y in the road go right. This will lead you onto the Midway
        Plaisance (
        59th St.) Go to Woodlawn Ave, turn left and park. Ida Noyes Hall
        is on the northeast corner of Woodlawn and Midway. See map for details

          LINK

          http://grey-gargoyles.uchicago.edu/calendar/#IDANOYES

          If you choose to take an alternate route that includes the
        Lake Shore Drive please be aware that vehicles with Class B plates are not allowed on the Lake Shore Drive.

          This is not the only practice in the Ayreton and outlying areas.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
[...]

          MONDAY PRACTICES

          ** Foxvale Youth Boffer Practice

          Come one come all that have children they wish to learn the ways of chivalry!!!

          Monday April 3rd, AS XL
          6:30 to 8:30
          Located at the Aurora Community Center 3rd Floor
          501 College Ave, Aurora, IL 60506

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
            The Ayreton Fighter Practices

              SUNDAY

            ** Grey Gargoyles - Sunday April 16th is Easter.  As such official practice at the Grey Gargoyles is cancelled.  However, there will be a few people who plan to attend unofficially to practice with each other.

              Please note that Sir Fern's beginner's class is officially over.  She reports it was a fun class to do and that people did well in it.

[...]

            ** Raven's Lake

            I am happy to announce that Raven's Lake Arts Martial Practice has started up again!

            Fighter Practice is starting again at 1 pm on Sundays (except the 1st of every
            month). We will focus on training new fighters and melee practice.  This practice is also a rapier, archery and thrown weapons practice as well !!!

            Also due to Easter there is NO practice this Sunday.  The next practice will be April 23rd, 2006

            Here is the location:

            The Church of the Holy Family
            25291 Lehmann Blvd
            Lake Villa, IL 60046.
            One block south of 132 on rte 59.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 24, 2006
[...]

                I am happy to announce that Ravenlake Arts Martial Practice has started up again!

                Fighter Practice is starting again at 1 pm on Sundays (except the 1st of every
                month). We will focus on training new fighters and melee practice.  This practice is also a rapier, archery and thrown weapons practice as well !!!

                Here is the location:

                The Church of the Holy Family
                25291 Lehmann Blvd
                Lake Villa, IL 60046.
                One block south of 132 on rte 59.

                More information is available on the Ravenslake Website simply click on calendar on the menu to the left side of your screen.

                MONDAY PRACTICES

                ** Foxvale Youth Boffer Practice

                Come one come all that have children they wish to learn the ways of chivalry!!!

                Monday May 1,