Re: [Ayreton] Re: Ayreton Event, Symbols and Mayoral Selection

  • Christian Fournier
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
      I can't imagine Ida Noyes -- or the Midway itself, for that matter -- being able to handle that kind of load -- Spring Crown pulls hundreds of people.  The access issues alone would create havoc.

      I disagree.  As a point of reference, the typical attendance for the University of Chicago Folk Festival (an annual three-day event also held primarily at Ida Noyes) is over 500 (over the course of the weekend; having worked at it a half dozen times, I'm pretty sure they don't get more than 300 or so in Ida Noyes at any one time).  Parking gets tricky, meaning that sometimes people have to park up to 1/2 mile away.  Typically, the Folk Fest holds temporary parking spots available, directly in front of Ida Noyes, for guests to unload equipment (a lot of people bring instruments, and find a spot to jam).

      Midway Plaisance, or more relevantly the greensward between 59th Street and Midway Plaisance, provides an uninterrupted space approximately 150' x 1300', with much, much more space available by crossing streets.  That green space is a City park, which complicates matters if we want to formally reserve it, but not impossibly so.  Setting up a tent big enough to fight under, though, is a real problem-- so we'd need an indoor alternative sight for the tournament, in case of bad weather (something like the big gym at Crown Pavilion?)

       XF
    • Wolfram von Waldersbach
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
        Although the Grey Gargoyles have hosted at least one Crown Tournament (Fall
        Crown 1987- won by Count Sir Corwyn Dragonstar) and at least two Coronations
        (Duke Sir Talymar gan Llwynn in May 1980, and Duke Sir Fuyusuru Tadashi in
        October 1989), I'm inclined to agree with Tedesco regarding Spring Crown and
        Kingdom A&S event. While I didn't think the turnout for this past Spring
        Crown was very high (and yes, I did attend both days), I'm assuming that was
        at least partly because of its location and that other Spring Crown
        Tournaments are more well-attended.

        If the Ayreton area were to hold a Spring Crown, Glenbrook North High School
        would be a more ideal location, in terms of space, access and parking.

        In Service,

        -Wolfram von Waldersbach
        Archery Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles

        >From: "Tedesco da Venezia" <tedesco@...>
        >To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Re: Ayreton Event, Symbols and Mayoral Selection
        >Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:09:46 -0500
        >
        >I too highly doubt Ida Noyes could handle a Spring Crown and Kingdom A&S
        >these days. First of all, we could NOT use the Midway-- that land is city
        >property, not school, and in order to run an event on that land, ya gotta
        >pay someone. Second, unless you do the actual tournament in the theater
        >(1st floor movie/presentation theater, not the upstairs one) it does not
        >have enough space for an event of that size. If we COULD get the theater
        >it
        >actually wouldn't be too bad-- plenty of extra space and seating-- but that
        >theater is run by a different organization than the rest of Ida Noyes...
        >Not to mention, access, parking, facilities, etc.
        >
        >~Desco~
        >
        >On 7/9/07, Drew Nicholson <drewishdrewid@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I can't imagine Ida Noyes -- or the Midway itself, for that matter --
        >>being able to handle that kind of load -- Spring Crown pulls hundreds of
        >>people. The access issues alone would create havoc.
        >>
        >>On 7/9/07, Robin Goldman <ladyscribe07@...> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > I think we should do do Spring Crown at Ida Noyes if we can, although
        >> > the school could work fine too. I agree with Ian, we need to decide
        >>now if
        >> > we are doing it or not.
        >> >
        >> > Eleanor
        >> >
        >> > ------------------------------
        >> > Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story.
        >> > Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
        >> > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48224/*http://sims.yahoo.com/>
        >> >

        >>--
        >>Qui Tacet Consentit

        http://newlivehotmail.com
      • Teleri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
          I respectfully disagree with the last part of Alexanders statement on the Lord Mayor's office. If we choose to make Ayreton a group with a more formal status within the SCA, it would not be appropriate to keep the remnants of the previous informal structure in competition with a new Baronial structure. However, it may please the Baron/ess to create, and select by whatever means, those Champions, Deputies, Assistants and General Lackeys they choose, one of which could happen to be a Mayor In Charge of Schtick.

          As I have said previously, I very much agree that the official symbols of Aeryton, whatever its status, should follow acceptable rules of heraldry, for all of the good and practical reasons that those rules were developed in the first place.

          Yours in Service,
          Teleri

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007

            For point of reference, there have been spring crown tourneys in the near past (Bloomington, IN) that used a LARGE tent as the "backup indoor site" for the fighting.

            Pretty risky, honestly, but there is precedent for doing it.

            I tend to agree wtih Christian: 750 is managable with careful planning and communication for parking.

            Suggestion: take a look for the last 10 years at weather on Memorial Day weekend. Historical data is a good guideline for figuring odds.

            Coronation attendance tends to be low anywhere, so I'm not sure that's a good judge (Duke Felix was the last coronation to be held there - quite successfully IMO.)

            DvA

            -------------- Original message from Christian Fournier <cf@...>: --------------

[...]

          • Wendy Pastrick
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
              I highly concur with the former hizzoner Alexander on
              the UN-accountability of the office of the Lord Mayor.
              We created it for fun and another venue for schtick in
              order to bring the groups together, and it seems to be
              working!

              And for the THOUSDANTH time...YES! it really *WAS*
              Random Chance the first time. Any subsequent
              'elections' were not overseen by myself, so I can't
              speak for those.

              Also - I've already put in that I would love to
              support a Crown bid, but I'll say it again in case
              anyone else is interested in jumping in.

              Smiles,
              Jale

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                And for the THOUSDANTH time...YES! it really *WAS*
                Random Chance the first time. Any subsequent
                'elections' were not overseen by myself, so I can't
                speak for those.

                As a co-overseer of the first Election, I can also confirm that the process was entirely random.  I'm not saying that there wasn't a back-up plan, or something, I'm just saying that that first election, as conducted, was entirely random.

                 Christian Fournier
              • ladyscribe07
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                  To anyone who can help me. My lovely boss has offered to me a nice set
                  of office furniture. Three pieces (I have the dimensions) It could be
                  done after work or on a weekend. I do need to have them moved out of
                  the office before June 31st. I am willing to pay for gas and tolls and
                  a little of your time. (Free food & drink on me) If you have a
                  flatbed truck or a large van and can move them from Downtown Chicago to
                  Hammond, IN (25 minutes drive depending on the day. Please email me
                  offlist if you can help. I would really appreciate it very much. Feel
                  free to cross post!

                  Thanks,

                  Eleanor (Robin)

                • spdesroches@att.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10, 2007

                    Greetings Good Gentles

                    Several days ago there were several postings from some of you concerning my performance of this job, the Lord Mayor of Ayreton. Concerns were voiced that I had exceeded the original intent, that I should be a "figure of unifying schtick" alone. I held myself in reserve to consider all aspects of  the history of the mayors before me and the spirit of the creation by its authors.

                         This job is not as easy as it may seem. Since its inception, we have grown as friends. We have seen the benefits of our efforts to play nice together.  I consulted the original charter. I had been priviledged to have been consulted upon  its creation, as at the time I was seneschal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles. I have since been an advisor to some of those who held the office. I have taken council on this matter from the most forthright person I know, my lady wife, who's never afraid to tell me when I err.

                         In my travels through the Kingdom, far flung friends have asked me "what the heck is this Ayreton thing?" "What is a Lord Mayor?" I explained that the idea was to promote unity of the various Chicagoland groups, that we were doing much better than in the past at cooperation and coordination thanks in part to the group. Finally that the Lord Mayor was someone WHO HELD NO OFFICIAL STATUS,  but acted as a figurehead for these efforts. Even our present King asked these questions. He seemed pleased at our progress.

                         But as we have grown, so has the job. I'm finding that to merely be a parade grand marshall is to shortchange all of you. In introducing questions, I hope to engender necessary discussion and promote the progress we deserve. I enjoy the fun aspects and will certainly continue to offer "official town jobs" and such. I do not seek to usurp power, but to empower all of you. I will not speak just for the interest of one group, but all. Please continue to approach me and ask what is in your hearts.

                    In Service to the Midrealm and Ayreton

                    THL Etienne le Couteau des Roches

                    Lord Mayor

                    .