The Process

  • Sarafina Sinclair
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
      (I don't think this went through the first time. I apologize if you
      get this twice).

      Hi Everyone,

      After having read the documents about the group transition process,
      I believe that the next official step in the process would be for
      the seneschals of all the groups interested in forming a barony (or
      principality) to complete a petition and send it to the Crown (via
      the Transititions Office).

      So, at this point, hopefully all of the groups will have this
      discussion in person at the next several business meetings. Take a
      vote (however the groups decides is fair) and decide if your
      shire/province wants to advance to a barony. Have your seneschal
      confer with the other seneschals. There are 8 steps to be followed
      for baronial advancement and they are quite detailed. Please,
      please, please go and read how it all works so we can be armed with
      knowledge.

      Here is the link again:
      http://www.midrealm.org/seneschal/BaronialAdvancement.pdf

      What would probably also be useful is for us to send our questions
      to the Transitions Officer and have them addressed fully. I am more
      than happy to compile a list of questions and forward them on and
      then send the reply back to the list.

      When is a realistic date to set for group's to decide if we'd like
      to move forward? Oct 1? I would humbly suggest that the seneschals
      talk after whatever date we set as a group and figure out how many
      groups voted in the affirmative. How many groups do we need to move
      forward? 4? 5? 6? Is it all or nothing? If the area decides to
      remain as is, what is the time frame for asking the question again.
      6 months? 1 year? 2 years?

      Also, make sure you're sharing this with those members not on the
      internet. We need to hear everyone's voice on this issue.

      Thanks for listening.

      Sarafina
      --
      The Honourable Lady Sarafina Sinclair, CDH,CE
      http://ladysarafina.home.att.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
        Sorry for the general post but does anyone have Capt Martini's contact
        information?

        Thanks!

        http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07
      • Clint Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
          Try him here:
          Captain" <captinliammartini@...>;

          Or since he doesn't read his emails very often, just shoot me a note, I see him almost every night.

          Anton

          Anton du Marais

          To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
          From: james_j_ingram@...
          Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:27:04 -0500
          Subject: [Ayreton] Capt Martini

          Sorry for the general post but does anyone have Capt Martini's contact
          information?

          Thanks!

          http://im.live. com/messenger/ im/home/? source=hmtextlin kjuly07

          Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!
        • pennsic_ulf
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            "When is a realistic date to set for group's to decide if we'd like
            to move forward?"
            With Pennsic coming up fast for those who are going I'm not sure if
            most groups will be able to have a serious continuous discussion
            until after war is over. After the individual groups have had a
            chance to discuss the different options among themselves then the
            different group ideas will need to be form into an Ayreton area
            consensus. This may take some time. Upcoming event where there is
            a chance for people to meet and discuss are:

            August 31-2 - Middle Kingdom Academy of Defense 10 {Ravenslake}
            [Lakemoor, IL]

            September 22- Foxhunt 3 {Foxvale (Rokkehealden)} [Yorkville, IL]

            November 3 - All Soul's Liberate Jerusalem: One Man's Infidel
            is Another Man's Martyr {Vanished Wood} [Elgin, IL]

            In addition to these events would people be interested in picking a
            Saturday or Sunday in September or October when there isn't a local
            event going on and meeting and finding a large open place where
            people can meet to discuss this idea so we don't either over run the
            scheduled programming at an event or cause interested people to miss
            the meeting because of their duties at an event.

            To this effect I feel October 1st is an optimistic date and 12th
            Night in January would be a more realistic date to have the groups
            decisions due by. From there if enough groups are in support then
            we move forward with asking for the official polling process to
            begin.

            "How many groups do we need to move forward? 4? 5? 6? Is it all or
            nothing?
            This would depend on what form we decide on. The major rule is that
            the land are must be continuous. So if Vanished Wood and Tree-Grit-
            Sea say no that effectively would cut the area in half, while if
            Ravenslake and FoxVale were to opt out the other groups would still
            be connected. Also could depend on hot the vote itself is
            structured if it is set as all the groups have their own polls or is
            it one poll for the entire area with the same outcome for all
            groups.

            "If the area decides to remain as is, what is the time frame for
            asking the question again?"
            If history holds it would be at least 5 to 10 years before it would
            be tried again.

            One other though is how long will it us to acquire the basic regalia
            for a Baron and Baroness if the proposal goes through? It would be
            a little embarrassing to send the new Baron and Baroness up to the
            Crown with nothing but good intentions in their hearts.

            Tim Dinan
            Tcd3125@...

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Sarafina Sinclair"
            <Sarafina.Sinclair@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > After having read the documents about the group transition
            process, I
            > believe that the next official step in the process would be for the
            > seneschals of all the groups interested in forming a barony
            > (or principality) to complete a petition and send it to the Crown
            (via the
            > Transititions Office).
            >
            > So, at this point, hopefully all of the groups will have this
            discussion in
            > person at the next several business meetings. Take a vote (however
            the
            > groups decides is fair) and decide if your shire/province wants to
            advance
            > to a barony. Have your seneschal confer with the other seneschals.
            There are
            > 8 steps to be followed for baronial advancement and they are quite
            detailed.
            > Please, please, please go and read how it all works so we can be
            armed with
            > knowledge.
            >
            > Here is the link again:
            > http://www.midrealm.org/seneschal/BaronialAdvancement.pdf
            >
            > What would probably also be useful is for us to send our questions
            to the
            > Transitions Officer and have them addressed fully. I am more than
            happy to
            > compile a list of questions and forward them on and then send the
            reply back
            > to the list.
            > When is a realistic date to set for group's to decide if we'd like
            to move
            > forward? Oct 1? I would humbly suggest that the seneschals talk
            after
            > whatever date we set as a group and figure out how many groups
            voted in the
            > affirmative. How many groups do we need to move forward? 4? 5? 6?
            Is it all
            > or nothing? If the area decides to remain as is, what is the time
            frame for
            > asking the question again. 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
            >
            > Also, make sure you're sharing this with those members not on the
            internet.
            > We need to hear everyone's voice on this issue.
            >
            > Thanks for listening.
            >
            > Sarafina
            > --
            > The Honourable Lady Sarafina Sinclair, CDH,CE
            > http://ladysarafina.home.att.net

          • Metylda
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
              I would not count on a meeting at MKAOD. I was told
              by those having more wisdom than I, that having the
              Ayretown meeting was an exception and that the rule of
              Ravenslake has been no meetings are to take place at
              our events.

              Metylda

              --- pennsic_ulf <TCD3125@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > be connected. Also could depend on hot the vote
              > itself is
              > structured if it is set as all the groups have their
              > own polls or is
              > it one poll for the entire area with the same
              > outcome for all
              > groups.
              >

              > "If the area decides to remain as is, what is the
              > time frame for
              > asking the question again?"
              > If history holds it would be at least 5 to 10 years
              > before it would
              > be tried again.
              >
              > One other though is how long will it us to acquire
              > the basic regalia
              > for a Baron and Baroness if the proposal goes
              > through? It would be
              > a little embarrassing to send the new Baron and
              > Baroness up to the
              > Crown with nothing but good intentions in their

              There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

              *****

              Me þæt wyrd gewæf

            • David Roland
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                Having been there last year at the gathering it wasn't an Ayreton
                Towne Meeting. It was an Ayreton Towne Gathering as meetings were
                not allowed.

                Ian the Green
                Just some guy from the SCA

                _______________
                > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

              • ayretontownecryer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007

                  Status Dates to Report on Meetings Regarding Advancement

                  At the Border Skirmish Towne Meeting it was determined that the next Towne Meeting at an event would be at Vanished Woods Event All Souls on November 3, 2007.  That said, that meeting is to cover the Ayreton Carnival stuff as well as anything else.   We can certainly have meetings at other events prior to that as well as meetings at times other than events as it has been requested.  I shall speak with the Mayor about such dated and we shall try to come up with a series of dates that folks can vote on and whatever date(s) get the most response here on this list we will try to do.

                  I will remind everyone that we still have a total of three other things we are hoping to hear from the populace about both here and at the meetings.

                       1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another location?  Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to get cracking on this ASAP.

                       2. Ayreton symbols and regalia. Those who attended the meeting saw on the banner the segmented ring. You can also see it on the (fuzzy) photo I posted of my medallion on the Ayreton website. Is this good or shall we try something else? Submit here your ideas and pictures, and in the near post-Pennsic future, we'll vote. There is also the possibility of having an A&S display at the next Carnivale of regalia created with the winning symbol.

                       3. Mayoral Selection. In my opinion we should make the process more accountable. Suggestions?

                  I will start another message thread so that these can be discussed somewhat seperately though just as publicly.