The Process

  • Sarafina Sinclair
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hi Everyone,

      After having read the documents about the group transition process, I believe that the next official step in the process would be for the seneschals of all the groups interested in forming a barony (or principality) to complete a petition and send it to the Crown (via the Transititions Office).

      So, at this point, hopefully all of the groups will have this discussion in person at the next several business meetings. Take a vote (however the groups decides is fair) and decide if your shire/province wants to advance to a barony. Have your seneschal confer with the other seneschals. There are 8 steps to be followed for baronial advancement and they are quite detailed. Please, please, please go and read how it all works so we can be armed with knowledge.

      What would probably also be useful is for us to send our questions to the Transitions Officer and have them addressed fully. I am more than happy to compile a list of questions and forward them on and then send the reply back to the list.
      When is a realistic date to set for group's to decide if we'd like to move forward? Oct 1? I would humbly suggest that the seneschals talk after whatever date we set as a group and figure out how many groups voted in the affirmative. How many groups do we need to move forward? 4? 5? 6? Is it all or nothing? If the area decides to remain as is, what is the time frame for asking the question again. 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?

      Also, make sure you're sharing this with those members not on the internet. We need to hear everyone's voice on this issue.

      Thanks for listening.

      Sarafina
      --
      The Honourable Lady Sarafina Sinclair, CDH,CE
      http://ladysarafina.home.att.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        (I don't think this went through the first time. I apologize if you
        get this twice).

        Hi Everyone,

        After having read the documents about the group transition process,
        I believe that the next official step in the process would be for
        the seneschals of all the groups interested in forming a barony (or
        principality) to complete a petition and send it to the Crown (via
        the Transititions Office).

        So, at this point, hopefully all of the groups will have this
        discussion in person at the next several business meetings. Take a
        vote (however the groups decides is fair) and decide if your
        shire/province wants to advance to a barony. Have your seneschal
        confer with the other seneschals. There are 8 steps to be followed
        for baronial advancement and they are quite detailed. Please,
        please, please go and read how it all works so we can be armed with
        knowledge.

        Here is the link again:
        http://www.midrealm.org/seneschal/BaronialAdvancement.pdf

[...]

      • James Ingram
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
          Sorry for the general post but does anyone have Capt Martini's contact
          information?

          Thanks!

          http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07
        • Clint Anderson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            Try him here:
            Captain" <captinliammartini@...>;

            Or since he doesn't read his emails very often, just shoot me a note, I see him almost every night.

            Anton

            Anton du Marais

            To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
            From: james_j_ingram@...
            Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:27:04 -0500
            Subject: [Ayreton] Capt Martini

            Sorry for the general post but does anyone have Capt Martini's contact
            information?

            Thanks!

            http://im.live. com/messenger/ im/home/? source=hmtextlin kjuly07

            Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!
          • pennsic_ulf
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
              "When is a realistic date to set for group's to decide if we'd like
              to move forward?"
              With Pennsic coming up fast for those who are going I'm not sure if
              most groups will be able to have a serious continuous discussion
              until after war is over. After the individual groups have had a
              chance to discuss the different options among themselves then the
              different group ideas will need to be form into an Ayreton area
              consensus. This may take some time. Upcoming event where there is
              a chance for people to meet and discuss are:

              August 31-2 - Middle Kingdom Academy of Defense 10 {Ravenslake}
              [Lakemoor, IL]

              September 22- Foxhunt 3 {Foxvale (Rokkehealden)} [Yorkville, IL]

              November 3 - All Soul's Liberate Jerusalem: One Man's Infidel
              is Another Man's Martyr {Vanished Wood} [Elgin, IL]

              In addition to these events would people be interested in picking a
              Saturday or Sunday in September or October when there isn't a local
              event going on and meeting and finding a large open place where
              people can meet to discuss this idea so we don't either over run the
              scheduled programming at an event or cause interested people to miss
              the meeting because of their duties at an event.

              To this effect I feel October 1st is an optimistic date and 12th
              Night in January would be a more realistic date to have the groups
              decisions due by. From there if enough groups are in support then
              we move forward with asking for the official polling process to
              begin.

              "How many groups do we need to move forward? 4? 5? 6? Is it all or
              nothing?
              This would depend on what form we decide on. The major rule is that
              the land are must be continuous. So if Vanished Wood and Tree-Grit-
              Sea say no that effectively would cut the area in half, while if
              Ravenslake and FoxVale were to opt out the other groups would still
              be connected. Also could depend on hot the vote itself is
              structured if it is set as all the groups have their own polls or is
              it one poll for the entire area with the same outcome for all
              groups.

              "If the area decides to remain as is, what is the time frame for
              asking the question again?"
              If history holds it would be at least 5 to 10 years before it would
              be tried again.

              One other though is how long will it us to acquire the basic regalia
              for a Baron and Baroness if the proposal goes through? It would be
              a little embarrassing to send the new Baron and Baroness up to the
              Crown with nothing but good intentions in their hearts.

              Tim Dinan
              Tcd3125@...

              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Sarafina Sinclair"
              <Sarafina.Sinclair@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > After having read the documents about the group transition
              process, I
              > believe that the next official step in the process would be for the
              > seneschals of all the groups interested in forming a barony
              > (or principality) to complete a petition and send it to the Crown
              (via the
              > Transititions Office).
              >
              > So, at this point, hopefully all of the groups will have this
              discussion in
              > person at the next several business meetings. Take a vote (however
              the
              > groups decides is fair) and decide if your shire/province wants to
              advance
              > to a barony. Have your seneschal confer with the other seneschals.
              There are
              > 8 steps to be followed for baronial advancement and they are quite
              detailed.
              > Please, please, please go and read how it all works so we can be
              armed with
              > knowledge.
              >
              > Here is the link again:
              > http://www.midrealm.org/seneschal/BaronialAdvancement.pdf
              >
              > What would probably also be useful is for us to send our questions
              to the
              > Transitions Officer and have them addressed fully. I am more than
              happy to
              > compile a list of questions and forward them on and then send the
              reply back
              > to the list.
              > When is a realistic date to set for group's to decide if we'd like
              to move
              > forward? Oct 1? I would humbly suggest that the seneschals talk
              after
              > whatever date we set as a group and figure out how many groups
              voted in the
              > affirmative. How many groups do we need to move forward? 4? 5? 6?
              Is it all
              > or nothing? If the area decides to remain as is, what is the time
              frame for
              > asking the question again. 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
              >
              > Also, make sure you're sharing this with those members not on the
              internet.
              > We need to hear everyone's voice on this issue.
              >
              > Thanks for listening.
              >
              > Sarafina
              > --
              > The Honourable Lady Sarafina Sinclair, CDH,CE
              > http://ladysarafina.home.att.net

            • Metylda
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                I would not count on a meeting at MKAOD. I was told
                by those having more wisdom than I, that having the
                Ayretown meeting was an exception and that the rule of
                Ravenslake has been no meetings are to take place at
                our events.

                Metylda

                --- pennsic_ulf <TCD3125@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > be connected. Also could depend on hot the vote
                > itself is
                > structured if it is set as all the groups have their
                > own polls or is
                > it one poll for the entire area with the same
                > outcome for all
                > groups.
                >

                > "If the area decides to remain as is, what is the
                > time frame for
                > asking the question again?"
                > If history holds it would be at least 5 to 10 years
                > before it would
                > be tried again.
                >
                > One other though is how long will it us to acquire
                > the basic regalia
                > for a Baron and Baroness if the proposal goes
                > through? It would be
                > a little embarrassing to send the new Baron and
                > Baroness up to the
                > Crown with nothing but good intentions in their

                There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

                *****

                Me þæt wyrd gewæf

              • David Roland
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                  Having been there last year at the gathering it wasn't an Ayreton
                  Towne Meeting. It was an Ayreton Towne Gathering as meetings were
                  not allowed.

                  Ian the Green
                  Just some guy from the SCA

                  _______________
                  > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                  updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

                • ayretontownecryer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007

                    Status Dates to Report on Meetings Regarding Advancement

                    At the Border Skirmish Towne Meeting it was determined that the next Towne Meeting at an event would be at Vanished Woods Event All Souls on November 3, 2007.  That said, that meeting is to cover the Ayreton Carnival stuff as well as anything else.   We can certainly have meetings at other events prior to that as well as meetings at times other than events as it has been requested.  I shall speak with the Mayor about such dated and we shall try to come up with a series of dates that folks can vote on and whatever date(s) get the most response here on this list we will try to do.

                    I will remind everyone that we still have a total of three other things we are hoping to hear from the populace about both here and at the meetings.

                         1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another location?  Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to get cracking on this ASAP.

                         2. Ayreton symbols and regalia. Those who attended the meeting saw on the banner the segmented ring. You can also see it on the (fuzzy) photo I posted of my medallion on the Ayreton website. Is this good or shall we try something else? Submit here your ideas and pictures, and in the near post-Pennsic future, we'll vote. There is also the possibility of having an A&S display at the next Carnivale of regalia created with the winning symbol.

                         3. Mayoral Selection. In my opinion we should make the process more accountable. Suggestions?

                    I will start another message thread so that these can be discussed somewhat seperately though just as publicly.