Re: [Ayreton] Re: Questions about baronies

  • Peg Cook
    Message 1 of 77 , Jun 29, 2007

      >>BTW, could someone explain to me the difference between a shire, a province, and a canton?  Is there any practical >>difference?  What's in a name?

      You pushed the "Librarian Button". :P

      There's a nice set of definitions on this wiki: http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Groups#Cantons

      Provinces and Baronies are the same "status level", the only difference is a Province doesn't have Crown representatives. Cantons are subgroups of and owe allegiance toBaronies, Ridings are subgroups of and owe allegiance to Provinces (Ravenslake started out as a Riding of TGS). Shires are independent groups.

      One side observation here is that IMO any group in the SCA operates on two "levels"--the administrative level, which to my mind includes reporting, finances, and interfacing with the "mundane" world, and the "game" level, which includes things like ceremonies and awards and champions, as well as the more ephemeral "feel"--which is harder to describe but by which I think I mean things like group cohesiveness, the "magic moments" of ceremony and togetherness, and other things which I could give examples of but have a hard time finding names for.

      It seems to me part of the dynamic of this conversation is revolving around both of these levels. There seems to me to be consensus the Fun is a Good Thing (tm), and that more paperwork is a Bad Thing (tm) :P. To a certain degree it may not matter (IMO) what the end of this conversation is--barony or not--as long as we are agreeing that those ephemeral things are important and valued. They can be achieved--IMO--without adding additional admininstrative structure. It's harder, but it can be done.

      Evzenie
      Message 77 of 77 , Jul 3, 2007
        Greetings!
             Note! The following is MY OPINION ONLY, and is, in fact, only a suggestion.

             I respectfully request that persons who hold a title (like, say, "Regional Seneschal"...I'll use that example because I hold that office) refrain from using it for purposes of this discussion.

             That is to say, I might post that The Regional Seneschal says...this or that...or The Regional Seneschal thinks...this or that. In my experience, such comments might lead folks to believe that an Official Declaration or Official Comment was being made.

             You will note that unless I am speaking as the Regional Seneschal, I speak as Alexander, some guy from Ravenslake. In that way, Alexander can make his opinions known, and the Regional Seneschal's opinion on the matter (whatever it may be) is not mixed in. Sometimes I speak as the Regional Seneschal, and have been invited to some group meetings in that role. Normally, I kick in my two cents with everyone else.

             I hope that others who hold offices, unless they are specifically speaking as the officeholder, will make any advice, comments, suggestions, etc. as themselves, not from their office.

             Once again, this is Just My Opinion and suggestion.
        Is mise le meas,
        Alexander de Seton,
        some guy from Ravenslake