RE: [Ayreton] Ayreton baronial question

  • elliot liebson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
      --I'm wondering if a shell barony would address the local group power
      issues. All groups would have the opportunity to submit input for selection
      of baron and baroness (who could be from any one of the groups in question),
      and we could designate certain events as 'baronial level' events (Border
      Skirmish and TGS 12th night come to mind, and I'm sure there are others), at
      which there would be baronial court.

      However; would there be a baronial bureaucracy? for example, a baronial
      exchequer? I bring that title up because the money issue is probably going
      to be one of the first ones raised. Also, on a more mundane level, who
      keeps the baronial regalia (such as there is)? Is there a baronial meeting
      site? Does it change with the baron/baroness? At Pennsic, Lillies, Gulf
      Wars, etc., do we go to war as the barony, or as our individual groups? Do
      we camp together? Fight together?

      I know that these are nit-picky questions, but having put more than one not
      for profit together, I have found that getting these questions answered
      satisfactorily upfront makes everyone happier later on. And I certainly do
      not have the answers myself; we all do.

      Salamon

      (of course if we established a duchy instead of a barony, then we would be a
      royal shell duchy. On second thought, let's not; people will just ask us
      for oil.)

      Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
      It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07
    • Valerie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
        Well I can attempt to asnwer some of those questions.

        > --I'm wondering if a shell barony would address the local group power
        > issues. All groups would have the opportunity to submit input for
        selection
        > of baron and baroness (who could be from any one of the groups in
        question),

        Yes and keep in mind the baron and baroness don't need to be from the
        same group. They could be opposite ends of the barony all they have
        to do it run together.

        > and we could designate certain events as 'baronial level' events
        (Border
        > Skirmish and TGS 12th night come to mind, and I'm sure there are
        others), at
        > which there would be baronial court.

        Yep yep. There can be a lot of fun with these things too. As for
        event stuff at Warriors and Warlords each year at least on the rapier
        field there is a Baroness whim tourney. Which is typically thought up
        by a few of the rapier fighters and baroness to create different and
        interesting tournies and melees each year. I know last year was a
        blast playing frog ball melee :)

        > However; would there be a baronial bureaucracy? for example, a
        baronial
        > exchequer? I bring that title up because the money issue is
        probably going
        > to be one of the first ones raised.

        Don't know bout this one :)

        Also, on a more mundane level, who
        > keeps the baronial regalia (such as there is)?
        I'd suspect that baron and baroness would have some of it and and
        thrones or other things would depending on the baron and baroness
        either stay one place in storage ot travel with them as they please.

        Is there a baronial meeting
        > site?

        Not as of yet again up to the baron and baroness. They may call
        baronial meetings in one place or they may travel to other groups
        group meetings.

        Does it change with the baron/baroness?
        Possibly. Who ever the first couple is will likely set the standards
        for how things will run in the area. I'm sure who is ever picked will
        do their utmost to try to acomodate as many folk as they can.

        At Pennsic, Lillies, Gulf
        > Wars, etc., do we go to war as the barony, or as our individual
        groups? Do
        > we camp together?Fight together?

        Anyone can camp where they wish but I'm sure a baronial encampent
        would likely be set up for anyone who wanted to. Good chance that at
        places like gulfwars the barony might just camp with midlands and have
        their own area within that encampment as well. Then we are together
        with most of the fighters in the midlands which tend to fight with
        each other (outside of households that is) and our own subgroups tend
        to fight with eachother as well.

        At least these are my thoughts on the matter. And as always no one is
        required to do anything that don't wish too. :)

        Moira O'Dorran

        > I know that these are nit-picky questions, but having put more than
        one not
        > for profit together, I have found that getting these questions answered
        > satisfactorily upfront makes everyone happier later on. And I
        certainly do
        > not have the answers myself; we all do.
        >
        > Salamon
        >
        > (of course if we established a duchy instead of a barony, then we
        would be a
        > royal shell duchy. On second thought, let's not; people will just
        ask us
        > for oil.)

        > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative
        now.
        > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

      • Tedesco da Venezia
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
          The baron and baroness could have a court at any event within the border they want.  However, it's often considered bad form to hold a huge long baronial court at a public event, delaying feast for hours for local atta-boys...  Many baronies, such as Rivenstar (where I started), do baronial court once a year at a private event, such as baronial anniversaries or holiday potlucks.

          Yes, corpora requires that official chapters (shires, baronies, principalities, etc) to have their own seneschal, exchequer, etc.  However how we hand the money/regalia issues are to be determined by us.  We can either continue splitting the wealth from events such as the Ayreton Carnivale and not have much of an account for the barony (since it IS only a "shell"), or keep a baronial account and run events from that and figure out a way to use that money only for stuff that would benefit the area as a whole.  As for regalia, keeping that stuff is up to the current officers and baron/baroness and would get passed when a new baron is made.

          At Pennsic, a whole lot of people from around the area camped with Grey Gargoyles last year.  Even though the registered name was still Grey Gargoyles, we were internally calling it the Ayreton camp.  But like Moira said, you can't force anyone to camp anywhere.  AFAIK, none of the other area shires had a devoted camp, they were all either in household camps or with the Midlands camp.  If there's enough interest, we would form an Ayreton camp.  As for fighting, there's not much fighting going on in this area that we COULD form an Ayreton unit--a lot of the heavies in this area are fighting under the Von B's or different households, and most of the fencers going to Pennsic this year from the area are fighting with the Thieves of Hearts.  But again, if there was enough interest, we could definitely form an Ayreton unit.

          One big issue I keep harping on with this Ayreton thing is we don't force anyone to do anything.  I don't want to take away any shire's autonomy, money, regalia, members, etc.  The purpose of this is to advance the groups, not take away from them to form something else.

          On 6/29/07, elliot liebson <eliebson@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • AlexdeSet@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
            Greetings!
                 There would be Baronial Officers. All Cantions would have officers which would report to their seniors-the Baronial officers. The Baronial officers would report to the Regional officers.
                 So, persons in a Canton could be Canton officers or Baronial officers. One could not report to oneself (i.e.,. be a canton pursuivant and a Baronial Herald), but one could be a Canton Pursuivant and a Baronial A&S officer, for instance.
                 There would be Canton meetings and Baronial meetings at different times-one presumes the Baronial meeting place would be central to the Barony/all the Cantons (equally inconvenient for everyone...)
                 Baronial regalia would be the task of the Baron/Baroness, or the Baronial Regalia Wrangler.
            Ta,

[...]

            "Special Notices".  Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special