Re: To Barony or Not to Barony? That is the question

  • ayretontownecryer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
      A very interesting idea and one with merit.

      I will remind everyone that as things stand right now Ayreton is an
      unoffical entity within the SCA and as such can not put in a bid for
      an event. The Ayreton Carnival was done with all the groups
      sponsoring it but with only a couple listed to keep the Pale and
      Calendar people from having to write all the groups names out.

      Ian the Green
      Ayreton Towne Cryer

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "elenofbirchbrae"

    • KCMalone3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
        Thanks Ian for that explanation.  That makes sense and helps with some understanding.

        Anna

        **************************************
        See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
      • Tedesco da Venezia
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
          Okay, this is a tricky one because you're dealing with kingdom level events...  The first Carnivale was also the Regional A&S Faire.  So yes, WE as a group can use the site for both.  However, kingdom level events--especially Crown Tournament--have specific requirements such as dates and space requirements, and MAY prohibit that.  We'll have to figure that out as we make the bid.

          ~Tedesco~

        • JKlauss@homefirst.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
            I agree with Desco.  However, do we want to split our energy into a combind event or focus on having a fantastic Crown? Especially because (and I know I have not been around long enough to know exact dates/time frame) when was the last time Midlands held a spectacular crown tourney?  What can we learn from that one?  And how can we back our Midland fighters so we have another Midland KING!  Before His Grace Bardolf won crown, I heard (and it's just what I heard) it was some length of time between having a King from the Midlands.  Nothing says we have to have a carnivale next year and yes I know making it an annual event would rock.  If we focus on having a great Crown Tourney that people rave about and skip Carnivale till 2009, sounds slightly more practicale. Just my two pence, I'll sit back down now.

            Cheers
            Baroness Keiley

            On 6/25/07, elenofbirchbrae < elenofbirchbrae@ iglide.net > wrote:

            > Ok, still not having a strong grasp of SCA policies here is
            >  my question:
            >  1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale
            >  at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring
            >  Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another
            >  location?  Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to
            >  get cracking on this ASAP.
            >
            >  Can't we use the site for both?  Can they be combined into
            >  one overlaping event next year and then continue with
            >  Carnival 3 in '09?  What other sites and dates would be be
            >  considering?
            >  YIS, Elen of Birchbrae

          • Dayle Harding
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
              Just to add to what Ian said.  The kingdom requires a sponsoring group and an autocrat.  The kingdom sends a confirmation of the sponsorship to the seneschal of that local group.  However, there is no problem with having multiple groups chip in financially, and help out in all ways.  That's how we did the Ayreton event...it was technically co-sponsored by Grey Gargoyles and Ravenslake.

              Acelina

              <elenofbirchbrae@ ...> wrote:

              > Ok, still not having a strong grasp of SCA policies here is
              > my question:
              > 1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale
              > at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring
              > Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another
              > location? Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to
              > get
              cracking on this ASAP.

              > Can't we use the site for both? Can they be combined into
              > one overlaping event next year and then continue with
              > Carnival 3 in '09? What other sites and dates would be be
              > considering?
              > YIS, Elen of Birchbrae

              Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
            • Wendy Pastrick
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                First, I'm changing the topic of this thread.

                Second, my opinion would also be to host a really
                awesome Crown Tourney. Now, whether that's at the Tues
                night practice site or not is a whole different
                question. I feel we can most certainly come up with a
                Spring Crown Tourney site around Chicagoland that even
                has camping options, etc; something which typically
                does draw folks in and doesn't require a hundred hotel
                room stays.

                Also keep in mind that any Spring Crown also includes
                Kingdom A&S on Saturday, then the Crown Tourney on
                Sunday.

                It is always Memorial Day Weekend.

                We might even be able to use the Boy Scout camp that
                TGS had several years ago....

                Just some thoughts,

                Jale