To Barony or Not to Barony? That is the question

  • ayretontownecryer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2007

      Greetings unto the populace of Ayreton.  It has been my pleasure to be your Cryer now for nigh two years and in that time I have seen much and heard much.  Some of it about why we are not a Barony.

      There are a lot of questions out there, a lot of opinions out there and a lot of personal experience out there about this issue and the history of this area.  I, as I have always done as your Cryer, will diseminate information about the process, how it works, and my understanding of the mechanics of it.  I shall continue to be neutral in this process.

      As the Ayreton Town Cryer my personal opinion on the matter is of no consequence.  I shall endeavor to maintain the neutral moderator position in this discussion.  I want to make absolutely certain that every side of this issue is discussed openly.  No opinion is invalid.  Those who wish to express opinions pro are just as valid as those that express con.  Conversation that directly attacts a person will not be acceptable.  Conversation that provides a differing viewpoint is of course acceptable.

      Anyone deemed to be inflamatory or causing  of problems here on this discussion group shall receive a polite e-mail reminder of the guidlines.  Repeated infractions will be met with the individual being muted, NOT banned.  This list was created for the dissemination of information to everyone in Ayreton who wished to partake of that information.  As such it is the policy to mute trouble makers but even trouble makers may partake of the information presented here.

      I will remind folks of a few things.  We are a chivalrous society, kind in word and deed.  Please try to make your posts in this light.  Also What the SCA was 40, 30, 20, 20 and 5 years ago is not necessarily what the SCA is today.  Things do change and so please take the time to know how they are or are done today.  This will help keep the conversation current.  Also please remember that people's experiences in the SCA are completely valid and of course inform them as to precesses and discussions today.

      The Honorable Lord Mayor Ettiene has also asked 3 other very important questions that I do not want to see missed and overshadowed by this discussion.  These are:

           1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another location?  Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to get cracking on this ASAP.

           2. Ayreton symbols and regalia. Those who attended the meeting saw on the banner the segmented ring. You can also see it on the (fuzzy) photo I posted of my medallion on the Ayreton website. Is this good or shall we try something else? Submit here your ideas and pictures, and in the near post-Pennsic future, we'll vote. There is also the possibility of having an A&S display at the next Carnivale of regalia created with the winning symbol.

           3. Mayoral Selection. In my opinion we should make the process more accountable. Suggestions?

      Please follow suit in your courtesy in these discussions.

      The populace of Ayreton in a very non-scientific and non-binding poll brought up the barony issue when asked:

      6. Do you wish that we would pursue a more formal codification of the group into the Middle Kingdom?

      The answers could have been anything including but not limited to a household or guild even but almost to a person Barony is what was discussed.  So it is on our minds.  Because of the answer given to the question this discussion is being brought forth.  I as the Ayreton Towne Cryer shall this day put the Middle Kingdom .pdf on the subject into the Files section of this discussion group.  I strongly encourage everyone to review this .pdf PRIOR to making comments and posts.  From the discussion at the Towne Meeting at Border Skirmish I gathered that the policy has not always been what it is now and that what it is now takes into account the long history of our great Kingdom.

      To all of Ayreton my good wishes go to you as do my hopes for a spirited, intelligent, well thought out, wise and kind in word conversation.

      Ian the Green

      Ayreton Towne Cryer

    • elenofbirchbrae
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2007
        Ok, still not having a strong grasp of SCA policies here is
        my question:
        1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale
        at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring
        Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another
        location? Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to
        get cracking on this ASAP.

        Can't we use the site for both? Can they be combined into
        one overlaping event next year and then continue with
        Carnival 3 in '09? What other sites and dates would be be
        considering?
        YIS, Elen of Birchbrae
      • ayretontownecryer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
          A very interesting idea and one with merit.

          I will remind everyone that as things stand right now Ayreton is an
          unoffical entity within the SCA and as such can not put in a bid for
          an event. The Ayreton Carnival was done with all the groups
          sponsoring it but with only a couple listed to keep the Pale and
          Calendar people from having to write all the groups names out.

          Ian the Green
          Ayreton Towne Cryer

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "elenofbirchbrae"

        • KCMalone3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
            Thanks Ian for that explanation.  That makes sense and helps with some understanding.

            Anna

            **************************************
            See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
          • Tedesco da Venezia
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
              Okay, this is a tricky one because you're dealing with kingdom level events...  The first Carnivale was also the Regional A&S Faire.  So yes, WE as a group can use the site for both.  However, kingdom level events--especially Crown Tournament--have specific requirements such as dates and space requirements, and MAY prohibit that.  We'll have to figure that out as we make the bid.

              ~Tedesco~

            • JKlauss@homefirst.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
                I agree with Desco.  However, do we want to split our energy into a combind event or focus on having a fantastic Crown? Especially because (and I know I have not been around long enough to know exact dates/time frame) when was the last time Midlands held a spectacular crown tourney?  What can we learn from that one?  And how can we back our Midland fighters so we have another Midland KING!  Before His Grace Bardolf won crown, I heard (and it's just what I heard) it was some length of time between having a King from the Midlands.  Nothing says we have to have a carnivale next year and yes I know making it an annual event would rock.  If we focus on having a great Crown Tourney that people rave about and skip Carnivale till 2009, sounds slightly more practicale. Just my two pence, I'll sit back down now.

                Cheers
                Baroness Keiley

                On 6/25/07, elenofbirchbrae < elenofbirchbrae@ iglide.net > wrote:

                > Ok, still not having a strong grasp of SCA policies here is
                >  my question:
                >  1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale
                >  at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring
                >  Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another
                >  location?  Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to
                >  get cracking on this ASAP.
                >
                >  Can't we use the site for both?  Can they be combined into
                >  one overlaping event next year and then continue with
                >  Carnival 3 in '09?  What other sites and dates would be be
                >  considering?
                >  YIS, Elen of Birchbrae

              • Dayle Harding
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                  Just to add to what Ian said.  The kingdom requires a sponsoring group and an autocrat.  The kingdom sends a confirmation of the sponsorship to the seneschal of that local group.  However, there is no problem with having multiple groups chip in financially, and help out in all ways.  That's how we did the Ayreton event...it was technically co-sponsored by Grey Gargoyles and Ravenslake.

                  Acelina

                  <elenofbirchbrae@ ...> wrote:

                  > Ok, still not having a strong grasp of SCA policies here is
                  > my question:
                  > 1. The next Ayreton event. Should we have another Carnivale
                  > at the same site, or should we offer the site as a Spring
                  > Crown Tourney bid, and hold the Carnivale at another
                  > location? Currently the Crown has no viable bid. We need to
                  > get
                  cracking on this ASAP.

                  > Can't we use the site for both? Can they be combined into
                  > one overlaping event next year and then continue with
                  > Carnival 3 in '09? What other sites and dates would be be
                  > considering?
                  > YIS, Elen of Birchbrae

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                • Wendy Pastrick
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                    First, I'm changing the topic of this thread.

                    Second, my opinion would also be to host a really
                    awesome Crown Tourney. Now, whether that's at the Tues
                    night practice site or not is a whole different
                    question. I feel we can most certainly come up with a
                    Spring Crown Tourney site around Chicagoland that even
                    has camping options, etc; something which typically
                    does draw folks in and doesn't require a hundred hotel
                    room stays.

                    Also keep in mind that any Spring Crown also includes
                    Kingdom A&S on Saturday, then the Crown Tourney on
                    Sunday.

                    It is always Memorial Day Weekend.

                    We might even be able to use the Boy Scout camp that
                    TGS had several years ago....

                    Just some thoughts,

                    Jale