Re: [Ayreton] Practice this Sunday

  • Mike / Kilian
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2007
      I will not be here this weekend (out of town) - but if you go to portage park, we used to met on the north side of the park, by the parking lot there.

      -Sir Kilian

      At 01:19 PM 6/7/2007, you wrote:

      It looks like Ida Noyes won't be available this weekend, but that's
      no excuse to miss a practice!

      In the past, we've met at Portage Park, between Irving Park Road and
      Berteau Ave, just west of 90/94. Parking has generally been good,
      though the bathrooms/changing rooms are a bit of a ways. There are
      also other parks near there-- if there's ANY interest in holding a
      practice on the North Side this Sunday, I'll confirm availability of
      space and restroom/changing rooms at some of the parks near Portage
      (with easier access to restrooms), and post results here by Friday
      afternoon.

      I admit that I'm partial to the general vicinity of "Irving Park at
      I-90" because it's near where I live. If anyone has a request for
      another park, let me know, and I'll look into changing facilities,
      space to fight, and parking. Lemme know neighborhoods and/or
      desirable features that will convince YOU to come out and keep ME in
      shape for war season! :)

      Christian Fournier
    • kevin purtrell
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
        Greetings,
             Thank You Warder Christian for setting this up.
        Let me check the availability of the Church in case it rains. I'll also contact Sir Kilian,
        TGS Knights Marshal,  in case he is not on this list.
            Unfortunately, I may not be able to make it as Phebe is making me a new fencing
        zupan and Mistress Juliana might need me there.
            Before TGS canceled Sunday practice in preference to Grey Gargoyles, we used this
        site all the time. If it is warm there will be a lot of people using the pool and parking
        could be tricky. The best bet is to show up early.

        YiS,
        THL Kevin Ambrozijwski, Incunabula Pursuivant

        Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Wendy Pastrick
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
          Sir Kilian will not be there for Sunday practice as he
          will be in Pittsburgh for a family obligation.

          Jale

          --- kevin purtrell <krpurtell@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > Thank You Warder Christian for setting this
          > up.
          > Let me check the availability of the Church in
          > case it rains. I'll also contact Sir Kilian,
          > TGS Knights Marshal, in case he is not on this
          > list.
        • Christian Fournier
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
                 Thank You Warder Christian for setting this up.

            It's entirely self-serving:  I'm missing Rose Tourney, and I want to FIGHT this weekend!  :)

            Let me check the availability of the Church in case it rains.

            Sounds like a good back-up plan.

            On the Gargoyles list, where I crossposted my original message, Moira O'Dorran wrote:
            I propose Welles park that is between montrose, western, and lincoln
            on the north side. It's right across the street from my house so
            there will be access to clean bathrooms(or you can use the parks or
            library), water available, and a theres plenty of tree's to fight in
            the shade. Plus there is a magnitude of great pubs and restraunts to
            go to afterwords for anyone so inclined.

            It's a bit further from the freeway (2.7 miles, as opposed to 1.2 miles), but a very nice park in a good part of town.  The field-house is pleasant, and has ample (and clean) changing rooms.

            So, this Sunday, I'll be at Welles Park, near the field-house (northeast corner of the park), from 1 until 5 pm.  If anybody wants to fight (rattan or rapier), meet me there.  Otherwise, I'll bring a book...  :)

             Christian
          • Peg Cook
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007

              The best thing about Welles Park is the Starbucks at Wilson and Lincoln....:D

              I was going to suggest Independence Park, also, as an alternate--it's at Irving and Hamlin and is smaller in scale than Portage.

              Evzenie

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
                Oh I have to disagree with that.  There's The Grafton, The Daily ( Killer Sunday Edition Burger ), House of Wah Sun ( Fantastic Chinese ), The Chicago Brau Haus ( German ), oh there's so many options for good food near that park it's not even funny.

                Could you tell I lived over Das Huettenbar for 3 years?

                Lord Dougal MacAlister the Tardy
                Archery Marshal for the Province of Tree-Girt-Sea
                Drop-Dead Deputy Midlands Regional Archery Marshal

[...]

                with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
              • Peg Cook
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007

                  Das Huettnebar! I used to drink illegally at Das Huettenbar! Back in the day and all that :P.

                  And I agree about the food, I was merely speaking from the depths of my own personal addictions....:D

                  Isn't Cafe Selmarie still there? Pastries.....mmmmmmmm.....

                  Evzenie

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Oh yes, it's still there, it's part of the reason I moved away.  Damn you Geoff the Hippy!  Damn you to the Dark Side of a Baby Eating Easterner's backside!

                    And as of Feb 2006, there's a ColdStone Creamery.  I put on so much weight living there, it wasn't funny.

                    But damn it was tasty.

                    And now I'll leave it alone and continue in private emails.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
                      <quote who="Christian Fournier">
                      > So, this Sunday, I'll be at Welles Park, near the field-house
                      > (northeast corner of the park), from 1 until 5 pm. If anybody wants
                      > to fight (rattan or rapier), meet me there. Otherwise, I'll bring a
                      > book... :)
                      >
                      > Christian
                      --------------------
                      You'll have company, finally freed up enough time between school and work
                      to come out and play.

                      Granted I'm pretty sure I'm well past the 1 year mark since I was last in
                      armour ... so this should be interesting, assuming my heavy gear is in
                      fighting shape.

                      --
                      Seamus
                    • Valerie
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
                        I'll be there rapier in hand :)

                        Moira O'Dorran

                        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

                        > > Thank You Warder Christian for setting this up.
                        >
                        > It's entirely self-serving: I'm missing Rose Tourney, and I want to
                        > FIGHT this weekend! :)
                        >
                        > > Let me check the availability of the Church in case it rains.
                        >
                        > Sounds like a good back-up plan.
                        >
                        > On the Gargoyles list, where I crossposted my original message, Moira
                        > O'Dorran wrote:
                        > > I propose Welles park that is between montrose, western, and lincoln
                        > > on the north side. It's right across the street from my house so
                        > > there will be access to clean bathrooms(or you can use the parks or
                        > > library), water available, and a theres plenty of tree's to fight in
                        > > the shade. Plus there is a magnitude of great pubs and restraunts to
                        > > go to afterwords for anyone so inclined.
                        >
                        > It's a bit further from the freeway (2.7 miles, as opposed to 1.2
                        > miles), but a very nice park in a good part of town. The field-house
                        > is pleasant, and has ample (and clean) changing rooms.
                        >
                        > So, this Sunday, I'll be at Welles Park, near the field-house
                        > (northeast corner of the park), from 1 until 5 pm. If anybody wants
                        > to fight (rattan or rapier), meet me there. Otherwise, I'll bring a
                        > book... :)
                        >
                        > Christian

                      • Technomancer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 8, 2007
                          I'll be there

                          Gavin

                        • Scribesquire@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 9, 2007
                            Alas, I can't make it.  :(

                            Henry

                            From: Technomancer <technomancer90@...>

                            I'll be there

                            Gavin

                          • mickel14@msu.edu
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 5, 2012
                              Unto the fighters of Ayreton, I give greetings.

                              As the new year has finally begun, we are back to having practices at
                              Ida Noyes hall at U of C on Sundays. This quarter we are on the third
                              floor (there is an elevator) in the theater.

                              If your new years resolution was to lose weight or get some exercise,
                              this is a great and fun way to do so. Come out and join us so that we
                              have new people to fight.

                              in service,
                              -Susanna the Short
                            • Neal Sherry
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 5, 2012

                                Excellent! And is practice still 2-6ish?

                                Dru

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
                                  Do we have a time frame for the day after 12th Night practice (are we in earlier than the normal start time)?
                                  I'm starting to get emails asking about location, directions, time, etc....

                                  Also we are on the 3rd floor last I saw, is this still correct?

                                  Thanks in advance.

                                  --
                                  Seamus MacBain

                                  ----------------------------------
                                  On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, <mickel14@...> wrote:

                                  Unto the fighters of Ayreton, I give greetings.

                                  As the new year has finally begun, we are back to having practices at
                                  Ida Noyes hall at U of C on Sundays. This quarter we are on the third
                                  floor (there is an elevator) in the theater.

                                  If your new years resolution was to lose weight or get some exercise,
                                  this is a great and fun way to do so. Come out and join us so that we
                                  have new people to fight.

                                  in service,
                                  -Susanna the Short

                                • Susan Mickelson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 13, 2012
                                    Yes, normal practice is 2-6.

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 2, 2012
                                      Unto the fighters of the barony, I give greetings.

                                      Yes, there WILL be practice on Superbowl Sunday. I can't promise that
                                      we will have a laptop with the game on it as we have in past years,
                                      but I can promise fun and fights.

                                      Are there any fencers who would be willing to show up on Sunday?
                                      There have been students off and on who have been interesting in
                                      fencing, and all I can tell them is that sometimes fencers do come. I
                                      don't know if any students will be there this week, but it would be
                                      useful to know when, if ever, the fencers will be coming out to play.

                                      in service,
                                      -Susanna the Short
                                    • Fern
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 5, 2012
                                        Susanna,

                                        Thanks for the message. I'm on my way to practic now.

                                        Fern

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 10 5:46 AM
                                          Unto the fighters of Ayerton I give greetings.

                                          Here's a link about traffic for NATO, it should be mostly okay this weekend.  It looks like stuff is mostly closed around McCormick Place, so avoid there at all costs.  It's also the U of C Scavenger Hunt, but that doesn't usually affect us except for getting to watch students blow up watermelons.  Parking should not be any worse than usual.

                                          We have the third floor theater at 3:00, but practice starts at 2 out on the grass.  The weather should be lovely.

                                          http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/transit/chicago-nato-summit-road-transportation-security-150218515.html

                                          In service,
                                          -Susanna

                                        • thomas penyngton