Re: [Ayreton] Haven't been active for a loooong time...

  • kevin purtrell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4 12:09 PM
      Hi,
          There are groups all over Chicago.
      Northside:

      or

      Southside:

      Go to whichever you think is closer. Why buy garb when people will teach you to make it?

      Kevin Ambrozijwski

      Chris <the.antichris217@...> wrote:
      and I've moved here from Calontir since then. I live in Chicago, a few
      blocks from Wrigley. I'm looking for the nearest fighter practice,
      group meetings, etc. I also need to find someone who sells garb, as
      mine has vanished over the years. Thanks for all your help!

      Tristan of Crescent Moon

    • Blair Peterson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4 5:23 PM
        Tristan, Welcome to the Middle Kingdom.  Aldyet and I are also from Calontir as of about a year or so ago.  I just got my gear together after a brief hiatus, and plan to get back to practice as regularly as possible following Lilies.  We found the Ravenslake group has a good practice (you just have to get used to the rapier guys out numbering the "heavy" guys), at Northbrook High School in Glenview (at least I think that's right)  I kind of zen my way there anymore from the train I get off of which is not my normal train.  Someone's bound to post directions.  Also there's a big Sunday fighter practice downtown at one of the universities.  Again, I'll leave it to one of those who's been to handle the directions, but I've been told the armored fighting is much greater at this practice.

        Welcome to the city.  Keep my e-mail and drop me a line.  Hopefully we can show you around at some point.  We're out in Naperville, but have learned a little bit about some of the good bars up North, and some of the attractions about town.  Besides it'd be nice to have a good ole Calontir fighting discussion.  Look me up at war, and we'll mix it up.  I wear a German Waffenfrock with a new burgonet, and will be playing with my new 7 1/2 halberd! YAY!   I normally hang out with Sir Kirk and Thyri, or with my knight Sir Hirsch and Magda (formerly Meredydd).  Yes, this would be the Hirsch who has now managed 3 2nd place finishes in the past 3 crown tourney's.  :)  At this point I think I want it worse for him than he does. :)

        Welcome to the neighborhood.

        Lukas
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

        To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5 11:01 AM
          Greetings new folk, will be looking forward to seeing you, if you are able, at practice tonight (Tuesday).  It is at Glenbrook North Highschool (most likely it will be at the back far northwest corner) outside, I would assume...if the weather holds.

          The location is here:

          http://www.google.com/maps?q=2300+Shermer+Rd,+Northbrook,+IL+60062,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

          (this is a google map, if you click on the upper right hand link to "hybrid" map, you will see the tennis courts.  We will be in the softball field directly south of the courts (use the northern most entrance to the highschool).  If weather is bad, we will be in the building east of that field, if we are allowed.

          YiS,
          Sir Kilian

          To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5 12:13 PM
            Or alternately you can find the directions to the Thieves of Hearts
            Practices at:

            http://thieves.ayreton.org/

            This includes and overhead satelite map with streets named and
            routes Highlighted. Also includes an overhead satelite of the
            school and where parking may be found as well as where the practice
            might be at depending on weather.

            Ian the Green

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Mike / Kilian <sirkilian@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > >Welcome to the neighborhood.
            > >
            > >Lukas
            > >--------------------------Historical Quote------------------------
            ----------
            > >"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
            and
            > >I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
            > >

            > >----------
            > >To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
            > >From: the.antichris217@...
            > >Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:37:45 +0000
            > >Subject: [Ayreton] Haven't been active for a loooong time...
            > >
            > >and I've moved here from Calontir since then. I live in Chicago,
            a few
            > >blocks from Wrigley. I'm looking for the nearest fighter practice,
            > >group meetings, etc. I also need to find someone who sells garb,
            as
            > >mine has vanished over the years. Thanks for all your help!

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12 8:08 PM
              One more quick question: what are the local standards on garb and
              fighter practice? Can I show up without until I get garb?

              Thanks

              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <the.antichris217@...> wrote:

              > and I've moved here from Calontir since then. I live in Chicago, a
              few
              > blocks from Wrigley. I'm looking for the nearest fighter practice,
              > group meetings, etc. I also need to find someone who sells garb, as
              > mine has vanished over the years. Thanks for all your help!
              >
              > Tristan of Crescent Moon

            • David Roland
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12 10:11 PM
                Our local standards follow Corpora. Garb can only be required to be
                worn at events. All other activities can encourage people to wear
                garb but can not require it.

                That said, the Ayreton Fighter Practice and Thieves of Hearts
                Fighter Practice very rarely have people in garb. When they are
                planning it, they usually announce it ahead of time.

                Ian the Green
                Chatelain - Shire of Grey Gargoyles