Event question from a newcomer

  • kfinegan@ria.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2007
      Greetings.

      I've just moved here from An Tir, and I realized as I looked at the event calendar that I have no idea what events are good to attend, which ones are small, which are large, what sorts of activities to expect...

      So, what events are good to attend?  What are _you_ going to this summer?  Why do you choose those events to attend?

      In Service to the Dream (and formerly to An Tir),
      Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
      Argent, a lion rampant to sinister sable and in chief two roses azure, each charged with a rose argent.
      (fieldless) A rose per pale argent and azure
    • Valerie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2007
        Well I would definitly recomend Border Skirmish comming up if your a
        fighter type.

        But the real question is what are your interests. A&S? Equestrian?
        Archery? Rapier? Heavy?

        Moira O'Dorran
      • Earik MacSkellie
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2007
          Welcome to the area,

          There are a lot of different events with a lot of different activities and attractions. I will be going to Border Skirmish to help with the brewing and vinting activities scheduled for the day. Border Skirmish is growing every year, and is a fun event to attend if you are into Camping, Brewing, Fighting, A&S and socializing. It is possible that this year's attendance might be a little light due to some funky scheduling rearrangements on the Kingdom Calendar. Still, it should be a fun time.

          There are so many different events, it would be best to hear what you are interested in, and then go from there.

          --
          Ld. Earik MacSkellie
          Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly

          http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/michael.labny%40gmail.com/public/basic
        • Marie Schorn
          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2007
            Hi Beatrice,

            This weekend is Ragnarok Rampage - it is usually a small event but fun.  I will probably be going to that one.  It is about an hour or so outside of Chicago.  They also had a bardic circle last year and had some games people played but I can't remember what they were.

            Jubilee (6/15) is about 3 - 3.5 hours away.  It is a combination event and demo /ren faire.  The SCA has it's own camping area up the hill away from the ren faire.  Non-SCA people can come to the ren faire area for the day.  There are booths - some of which are worked by SCA people, a parade that the SCA marches in, fighting and usually a feast.

            Border Skirmish (6/23) is about an hour or so north of Chicago.  It is usually a larger event with fighting, fencing and A&S.  It is a camping event.  They are going to have a feast with roast pork as part of it.  There will be classes and an A&S display as well.  It is a war between the Middle kingdom and Northshield (the kingdom that starts at the border of Wisconsin and Ill).  They will also almost certainly have a bardic circle.

            Swine and Roses (6/30) is about 2 hours away from Chicago.  It is a medium sized event.  They will have fighting, fencing, classes, a feast and probably bardic.

            Warriors and Warlords is a big event in Wisconsin (Northshield).  It is basically a small war where people camp for 4 days or so.  I have never been.

            Other ones people from the area will probably go to is the Feast of St. Ethyl amd Simple Day.  Simple Day is about 4 hours away, has fighting and the weather is usually very hot.  It is an outdoor event.  I haven't been to the Feast of St. Ethyl before but since it is a regional war practice, a lot of the fighters from the area will probably be there.

            Hope this helps,

            Arrienne

            kfinegan@... wrote:
            Greetings.

            I've just moved here from An Tir, and I realized as I looked at the event calendar that I have no idea what events are good to attend, which ones are small, which are large, what sorts of activities to expect...

            So, what events are good to attend?  What are _you_ going to this summer?  Why do you choose those events to attend?

            In Service to the Dream (and formerly to An Tir),
            Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
            Argent, a lion rampant to sinister sable and in chief two roses azure, each charged with a rose argent.
            (fieldless) A rose per pale argent and azure

            Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2007
              Hello Signora Beatrice,

              You can find out more about what activities will be held at an event by going to the Society website and looking at the Events link.
              Click on the Middle, and there are links to event websites.

              I hope that helps.

              Kyla Pennywarden of Ravenslake, Midrealm, Middle Kingdom, AoA